90% Of Births In Private Hospitals Are C Sections?

YoungNRich12

That is what we were told the other day from a Thai anesthesiologist who works at a private hospital. The reason being that Thais want to pick the date and time of the child's birth to guarantee good luck in life. The hospitals don't mind and will even push for it because they make more money. Is there any truth to the belief that because Thai women are slender, that its safer to have a c-section? Every woman that I know who has done both, claims that a c-section is actually much more painful and difficult for the mother in the long term than a natural birth.

Edited by YoungNRich12

Not true. The only C section I know of from all of my friends wives which was insisted on or recommended was because the baby was too large.

It suits gynachologists, because they can run their day like a 9 to 5 job. There are other tricks to post natal treatment in thailand that help to keep women slender.

I dont know about the percentages but I do know that "encouraging" C-section is a hospital trick used by some doc's and management - because it is quicker, easier and doesn't tie up nursing staff or equipment and rooms, as long as a natural births can or do.

That said, unless their is a pressing medical need/reason for C-section, women have a right to ask for (and should get) the oppurtunity to go about things as nature intended.

As for pain - C-section should be more or less painfree: epidurals and all that sort of modern medicine stuff.

A caesarian section certainly has more potential complications. Infection, bleeding and increased nausea and vomiting afterwards not to mention being more painful.

Also has high risk complications if general anaesthesia is required. One of the riskiest anaesthetic situations in my experience.

I can't believe any doctor would suggest this as a first/preferred option unless there was some complication.

In The Farang Thai relationships I heard the babies as Luk kreung were larger than a Thai Thai child? Hence C section?

Urban myth...

Really? got any stats on this anywhere, Im not doubting you but have heard two folks have c section both Thai farang and was interested as my wife may well have kids in the not too distant future and I dont really like c section unless necessary . I dont want a doctor saying oh you can choose the time etc etc

Any Thai docs on here??

Source here http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2008/10/the_p...of_interrac.php

"More specifically, the researchers found that white mother/Asian father couples had the lowest rate (23 percent) of caesarean delivery, while Asian mother/white father couples had the highest rate (33.2 percent). Because birth weights between these two groups were similar, the researchers say the findings suggest that the average Asian woman's pelvis may be smaller than the average white woman's and less able to accommodate babies of a certain size. (Asian couples had babies with the lowest median birth weight, so caesarean delivery was less common among those women.)"

Source here http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2008/10/the_p...of_interrac.php

"More specifically, the researchers found that white mother/Asian father couples had the lowest rate (23 percent) of caesarean delivery, while Asian mother/white father couples had the highest rate (33.2 percent). Because birth weights between these two groups were similar, the researchers say the findings suggest that the average Asian woman's pelvis may be smaller than the average white woman's and less able to accommodate babies of a certain size. (Asian couples had babies with the lowest median birth weight, so caesarean delivery was less common among those women.)"

Both the rates seem high in my opinion. Emergency caesarian rates in the UK are around 12%. I wonder how much of this is elective due to the high number of private hospital births among farang/thai parents?

In The Farang Thai relationships I heard the babies as Luk kreung were larger than a Thai Thai child? Hence C section?

Not true. The average Thai and Foreign birth are actually about the same. Three kilos.

Barry

My son was 3.1 kilos, unfortunately for my wife and like me most of it was in his head. C-Section required.

When I took my wife for our first ultrasound on 9 September (09-09-09), both hospitals we went to were full of Thai couples waiting to get a C-section. Some were even crying as the doctor told them it was too early (6-7 months in some cases).

Personally all the Thai/Western couples that I know went the C-section route, my wife and I want to go natural, but we are open for a C-section if there are complications.

We had a baby in Feb by C-Section it was her 2nd baby the first was by C-section because of a problem with birth so doctor strongly recommended birth by C-section this time which suited my lady she went to see her Buddha and was told a lucky day and time and that was when the baby was born I did ask the doctor about normal birth because of the risk of infection and was told that they have much less problems with infection in Thailand than we do in the UK the baby was born with no complications I must admit it was better for me knowing when the baby was going to be born

Consider the source of this info.

Of course a doctor in a private hospital would see more C-sections, than one working in a public-hospital, where normal poorer-mothers go to give birth, if not done at home.

I've certainly also experienced, in my wife's family, expectant-mothers being encouraged to go the C-section route, even where it was not medically-necessary, due to their wishing to avoid the perceived extra-pain & stretching-effects of a normal birth.

Consider the source of this info.

Of course a doctor in a private hospital would see more C-sections, than one working in a public-hospital, where normal poorer-mothers go to give birth, if not done at home.

I've certainly also experienced, in my wife's family, expectant-mothers being encouraged to go the C-section route, even where it was not medically-necessary, due to their wishing to avoid the perceived extra-pain & stretching-effects of a normal birth.

There is more money in C-Sections for the private hospitals.

For what its worth.

My son was born in an 'expensive private hospital'.

Before the first visit my (Thai) wife insisted that she wanted him to be born in Chula, like my stepson had been. After first visit to look around, she had changed her mind!

I insisted that before each visit to the Doc. she told me of any concerns etc., and I would ask for her and make sure the Doctor answered them, to avoid any cultural 'kreng Jai' issues. This worked very well, and after one or two visits the missus was confident enough to be asking her own questions.

I had heard the 'C' section rumours, and we both agreed that she wanted the birth to be natural unless there was a good medical reason (a tee-time was not considered a medical reason by me, even though I love golf myself). The Doctor had no problem at all with this and was surprised when I brought it up 'She's young and healthy, no reason why a 'C' section should be necessary' was his reply.

My son was 3.8kg when born, the stepson was 2.6kg apparently. One case only obviously, but physically I'm no bigger than the average Thai father (although I possibly weigh a kilo or two more......).

Final point. In the post-delivery room, looking through the glass at the 6 or 8 newborns, my boy looked like he was 6 months old compared to all of the others (Thai only, judging by the other fathers and families present). They were all pointing at him saying 'luk kreung, yai mahk'.

Anyway, I hope all goes very well with the three of you.

I would really like to know if its just a money maker for them or a Thai "I want it born on a lucky day" type scenario.

New programme on tv in the Uk suggesting mixed race kids have some advantages of non mixed.

Edited by yabaaaa

My daughter was born in BNH. We bought the package for natural birth and wanted natural birth. The doctor gave us the 'baby is too big' talk and we eventually had a c section (and billed a lot more cos we chose the wrong package). In my opinion, c sections are more prevelant here cos the doctor wants to organise his day (and evening) and doesnt want to hang around at knocking off time whilst some inconsiderate woman is in natural labour beyond his normal office hours.

A point to note is I havent met anyone who had a baby in BNH who didnt have a csection.

My daughter was born in BNH. We bought the package for natural birth and wanted natural birth. The doctor gave us the 'baby is too big' talk and we eventually had a c section (and billed a lot more cos we chose the wrong package). In my opinion, c sections are more prevelant here cos the doctor wants to organise his day (and evening) and doesnt want to hang around at knocking off time whilst some inconsiderate woman is in natural labour beyond his normal office hours.

A point to note is I havent met anyone who had a baby in BNH who didnt have a csection.

And this is what most worries me, perhaps if she goes alone to the clinics and doesnt mention me at all they will assume Thai father and not suggest C section?

And this is what most worries me, perhaps if she goes alone to the clinics and doesnt mention me at all they will assume Thai father and not suggest C section?

See my post above. We used Bumrungrad, and as per my previous post no problem at all with a 'natural'. Just be very firm, I'd say.

You could be worse off if she goes by herself. Unless she is a quite 'forceful' Thai lady, if the doctor tells her she is having a 'c' section, she may just 'kreng jai' and do as she's told. Also, even if you are not there, its highly likely that they will find out well before the birth that you are a farang.

Edited by stbkk

I really cant answer that mate. I think opinion is split on this thread. My personal opinion is that csections done in thailand are more for the convenience of the doctor than the woman having the baby, and or doctor/hospital makes more money from csections.

Its a bit of a con in mho. That being said, i am not a doctor. So when faced with a doctor saying she needs a csection, who is going to argue? BNH is a good place and service was great. I went with the doctors advice (though i dont really think she needed a c section) and everything ended up fine. As long as the baby is allright, thats the most important reason.

My wife only had it since she was too slim over the hips and a mixed kid was even bigger than a Thai kid at birth...(even thou' I saw one gigantic Chinese kid in the hospital, most Thai kids weight some 500grams less than my very normal-sized son at birth...)

My wife 'was' slim at the hips (90 pounds before pregnancy) 35 years ago but delivered an 8.1pound 22" long girl naturally.

I've wondered for a long time though about the number of girls we meet, especially those married to foreigners living in Thailand, who have c-sections. I've wondered if there's a convenience factor involved (for the doctor) and a luck factor (for the wife). One of our neighbors consulted a fortune teller who decided the best date for delivery was such and such a date, and gosh golly the baby was delivered on the appointed date/time......by c-section.

Country Thais that I know... mostly natural birth.

City Thais... mostly c-section.

Again, the OP did say private hospitals and I'd tend to agree. But for Thais as a whole, most never set foot in a private hospital. Gov't hospitals tend not to do anything that is 'more' than necessary, although I wouldn't be surprised if this trend changes with regard to c-sections, since they do minimize 'doctor in the delivery room' time.

:)

The wifes aunty has 4 kids, all born by section, and I asked why and I was told, for 2 reasons.

1) Her Aunty could pick the day of the week the baby was born (It seems it's bad luck for a Thai child to be born on a Sunday according to my wife's family)

2) All the children were born around 8 months into the pregnancy, when I asked why she said that 8 months is quicker than 9 months (And that's the gospel).

Brigante7.

Gov't hospitals tend not to do anything that is 'more' than necessary

Why would they?

Unless a previous c-section, preclampsia, breech, twins(or more :) ), or a baby in distress,usually a slowing heartbeat, prolonged labour or cord prolapse there really is no need for this intervention.

Same treatment in the western hospitals unless you choose different.

I can't speak for Thailand because I no longer spend any time in hospitals. However, I have a very good friend who is a doctor in Canada. He told me that when he was working in Mexico that almost all the births are "induced" with drugs to speed up the arrival times. C-sections were only done when necessary. I only say this because Thailand "might" be similar to other third world countries where there are lots of poor. I would imagine in private hospitals, where the clientel have more money, that just about anything could be "arranged".

The mother of my two children had an inverted pelvis and consequently both my children were born by c-section. With the first one they waited 24 hours after my wife's water broke, to see if a natural birth would happen, and then the doctor did the c-section. With our second child the doctor already knew there would be a c-section and a specific date was set.