Desperately Seeking

WinnieTheKhwai

I know places like Mad Dog and the Number 1 pub bistro have pretty good WiFi and this works very well for me when I'm downtown. However I occasionally need a really quiet environment do do Skype calls and such.

Some of the 5 star hotels would fit the bill (Shangri La, Meridien), but I'm looking for something where I would not be imposing too much; i.e. places where I can order a snack or a coffee or whatever to earn me the WiFi service, but have it not cost 250 baht, ++.

Any suggestions? Anywhere downtown is just fine; either old city, Thapae, Loi Kroh.. doesn't matter that much, though the closer to Loi Kroh the better. Just a nice, quiet and pleasant place. Free WiFi is preferred, but also don't mind a small fee if the price is reasonable for the overall environment, drinks, etc. (Say, Wawi Coffee at See Yaek Klang Wiang) Possibly some boutique guesthouses would fit the bill, but I don't know if any offer WiFi in public areas.

it also needs to be open in the evening until 10:30pm or so.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks!! How far down Thapae Road is that and on which side? On the main road right, not down a soi?

No not down a soi, but on the main road. Not far up from soi 3 from memory.

Why not give then a call and ask what time they close.

Edited by Maejo Man

I know places like Mad Dog and the Number 1 pub bistro have pretty good WiFi and this works very well for me when I'm downtown. However I occasionally need a really quiet environment do do Skype calls and such.

Some of the 5 star hotels would fit the bill (Shangri La, Meridien), but I'm looking for something where I would not be imposing too much; i.e. places where I can order a snack or a coffee or whatever to earn me the WiFi service, but have it not cost 250 baht, ++.

Any suggestions? Anywhere downtown is just fine; either old city, Thapae, Loi Kroh.. doesn't matter that much, though the closer to Loi Kroh the better. Just a nice, quiet and pleasant place. Free WiFi is preferred, but also don't mind a small fee if the price is reasonable for the overall environment, drinks, etc. (Say, Wawi Coffee at See Yaek Klang Wiang) Possibly some boutique guesthouses would fit the bill, but I don't know if any offer WiFi in public areas.

it also needs to be open in the evening until 10:30pm or so.

Siam Cafe Loi Kroh Rd at the smelly klong is always obliging

George: Am I really the only one who is slightly perturbed with this forum regarding the Headings ?

My point is that most headdings here don't give a clue about the location as to where people are inquiring about.

For exmple: "DESPERATELY NEEDED" should be "CM: NEEDED WI-FI SPOT", or: "PTTY CHEAP HOTELS ?"

Very often I open a post (which takes a while, with this very slow Internet-Situ' in Thailand), only to discover that the poster is in an area where I have no knowledge of anything.

:)

I'm all for trying to help other people, but I do waste a lot of time, because of these NON-Specific headers.

Can we do something about this, George ?

Cheers mate,

Jaap

You are in the Chiang Mai forum. This may help with the headings.

You are right UG but if 'jaapfries' is getting the heads up from "Today's best Thaivisa topics" by daily email it doesn't show on which local forum the post is on until you open it.

I also agree with 'jaapfries' that people could be a bit more specific when they start a thread, e.g. cheap hotel wanted in Lampang or wherever.

Thanks!!! That's exactly the place where I ended up last night, and I hadn't even seen your message at that time of course!

Good place, good WiFi, aircon, coffee, french fries,.. It's all good. Well I guess the staff could have been somewhat more cheerful but then again it was towards the end of their shift. I'm sure they'll warm up to me eventually. :)

Place closes at 10pm.

Anyway, as I was wandering across town using an iPod as a divining rod to hunt for WiFi spots, it occurred to me how nice it would be if some of the gazillion massage places offered WiFi.. I could be productive AND get a massage at the same time.. Business opportunity for someone!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks!!! That's exactly the place where I ended up, and I hadn't even seen your message at that time.

Good place, good WiFi, aircon, coffee, french fries,.. It's all good. Well I guess the staff could have been somewhat more cheerful but then again it was towards the end of their shift. I'm sure they'll warm up to me eventually. :)

Place closes at 10pm.

During the last few days I've had two guys in the pub using Free Wi-Fi. They are picking it up from a hotel nearby, which has an un-secured connection. I'm sure that isn't too uncommon. I was thinking of putting a sign up -  'Free Wi-Fi', but I'm not sure how much I should charge after the first hour? :D

<snip> the staff could have been somewhat more cheerful but then again it was towards the end of their shift.

I don't think that's it. I was there with the family last Saturday morning for breakfast and we kind of got the icy treatment as well. I think it's part of the service.

During the last few days I've had two guys in the pub using Free Wi-Fi. They are picking it up from a hotel nearby, which has an un-secured connection. I'm sure that isn't too uncommon. I was thinking of putting a sign up -  'Free Wi-Fi', but I'm not sure how much I should charge after the first hour? :)

Wonderful! Always seeing the biz opportunity. Is this the opposite of seeing a commie under every bed?