Residential Real Estate Investment In Thailand

Team Thailand,

I am considering investing in real estate in Thailand, I have a decent track record in Australia in this area, however, taxes (income & land) in Australia are making me consider Thailand as an option for my favourite form of investment.

So interested in your thoghts and experiences in regard to:

- Property in Bangkok (target expat community or professional Thai's etc)

- Rural cities (I will be living near Sukhon Nakon Issan) so opportunity for Uni students, hospital workers etc

- Capital grow opportunities

- rental return

- property management

- tax, if any

- market direction

- current value for money

- security of investment

- capitalimprovements

and anything else you may consider relevant.

Thanks in advance for your input

Team Thailand,

I am considering investing in real estate in Thailand, I have a decent track record in Australia in this area, however, taxes (income & land) in Australia are making me consider Thailand as an option for my favourite form of investment.

So interested in your thoghts and experiences in regard to:

- Property in Bangkok (target expat community or professional Thai's etc)

- Rural cities (I will be living near Sukhon Nakon Issan) so opportunity for Uni students, hospital workers etc

- Capital grow opportunities

- rental return

- property management

- tax, if any

- market direction

- current value for money

- security of investment

- capitalimprovements

and anything else you may consider relevant.

Thanks in advance for your input

You cant own real estate in Thailand unless you are Thai

You cant operate a propertly rental business legally without a work permit. Could could rent out condos but you need a work permit and registered business and have to pay your taxes. Thais dont like doing business with Farangs often, and doing business with other Farangs (in Thailand) is potentially dangerous pretty unreliable and shade characters around.

You will need a Thai partner for any real estate ownership... and then its still illegal since you are using a Thai nominee to purchase land, even if this is your wife.

You run a risk of getting busted for this, especially if you make enemies who grass you up.

Laws and rules can change at the drop of a hat... you are suddenly doing something illegal.

If you make any money you might have real problems taking that money out of Thailand.

Above alll, you are not welcome to do any real estate business in Thailand.

I should add it might be worth doing some small scale buying of condos and renting them out, you might make a small additional income from this. Long term gain not likely since they buildings are very badly built and maintained and will be slums in 30 years time.

There arent many 30 year old condo blocks since condos are a new idea in Thailand... but just wait!

On the other hand if youve got millions to start a world class hotel or some very large project you could probably expect some protection from the government and board of investment.

If you are going to take your $500,000 life savings and invest in property in Thailand without knowing much about it id say its a pretty risky investment. Better buy up loads of stock now if youve got deep pockets guaranteed to double your money in the next 5 years (well... lol)