Any Farrangs Live In Nam Som?

theoldgit

Have visited Nam Som, fairly near Udon Thani, a few times but have never seen any other Farrangs there.

Place is very quiet, and I suspect too quiet for me, but never rule anything out. Would be interested to learn if anybody has any experience of this town.

Have visited Nam Som, fairly near Udon Thani, a few times but have never seen any other Farrangs there.

Place is very quiet, and I suspect too quiet for me, but never rule anything out. Would be interested to learn if anybody has any experience of this town.

There is another poster on here and I am 99% sure he's from there, cos it sounds so similar to the name of my village.

I am loathed to suggest his name , incase it the wrong one.

You came to the right place

Dave

Thanks Dave

And I see you are from South London, as am I, the posh bit - Stockwell :D

I used to drink in the pub opposite the tube with my Irish mates and many moons ago, did Debt Collecting in the Stockwell Park Estate :) !!! AND lived to tell the tale.

I can cope with anything Thailand throws at me now :D

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Hi oldgit,

Its true what Ray23 says and 99% right what dave suspects, Ive lived in Namsom 3 years now with the mrs, yes, she has the best beauty salon which does all, Sauna,massage,manicure,pedicure,haircut/styling,mudpack facials,hair dyes,wedding preperation,[early morning} unwanted hair removal,eg leg waxing, you name it, she does it,,

Our farm, its now totally organic, the main fruit now are bananas, next month will be Tamarind, some Papaya,we gave up on corn because of the labour costs to pick and process these,

I have my falang friends, Mark & Mike, english, Dennis, irish, Emil german, and every friday night, mrs will cook fish & chips with parsley sauce or mushy peas, @ a cost of 100bht per per person, she does a good asortment of western foods, but sausage egg & chips with bread and butter is a great favorite!!

Namsom, its a town of 8500 regestred people, it probaly exceeds that by 20%, the temple in the lake is really great, its been improved over the last 18 months with a supporting concrete wall around it, all done by local fund raising, same as the temple opposite our house, new domitory & school being funded by locals having partys ect, Mrs has a lot to do with this,

Its a farming comunity, not much goes on here, what ive found is that peace of mind and an abillity to be happy whatever the circumstances will contribute to my well-being,

So Oldgit, if you come to Namsom again, do drop in, just need 2 hours notice if you want fish& chips or any other easy falang food, that invite goes to all who wish to visit Namsom,

Cheers, Lickey & Pan,,

Thanks to all for the replies, very helpful and informative.

I have been living in Bangkok for a couple of years, after a while in Hua Hin which didn't work out for reasons nothing to do with Hua Hin and it's way of life. After working in a fairly stressful job in London coupled with the daily commute via rail and underground Bangkok doesn't really phase me, and whilst I have a fairly good circle of friends here it's not really what I came to Thailand for.

My good lady is from Namsom though she moved to Bangkok to work in her families business and of course to find me, and whilst she has not spoken about returning "home" I think we both need to explore all options, though I am worried it might going from one extreme to the other and in fact be too quiet. I have been to Namsom a few times to visit my good lady's parents and have always been made most welcome, her father repairs agricultural equipment and has been having a hard time of late, though seems to be just about hanging on.

Anyway thanks again for everyone for taking the trouble to write the helpful replies, and "Lickey" the next time we come up I will certainly try to include a fish and chip night and I could probably to with a hair removal.

Ray, well, im sort of alive and kickin, a week or so ago i got bitten by a bad mossie, I had all the syptoms of Dengue fever, but it didnt effect my blood, hence i was late up, but it was good to see your new 800 bike, looks really smart!! and my favorite colour, electric blue,

Ray, i have a friend who wants a bigger bike, do you still have the 400dragstar? do you want to sell it?

Oldgit, done Sheperds Pie tonight, just as a test dish, Mike & Dennis tried it, and ate the lot, [me and mrs had a small piece] and now they want it as a regular friday night dish, [along with fish & chips] ,,,,,,

Next time you are up this way, PM me the day before, let me know what you would like to eat, your Mrs goes in the salon, we sit outside with a beer or 2 and a good falang food!!!

Cheers, Lickey,,

Funnily enough my girlfriend had to fly up at short notice yesterday, we booked on Sunday night, to see her mother.

She told me this morning that her mother knows your wife's salon, though I didn't think she uses it, she says yes I know the salon "they have falang sit outside too much" :)

Unfortunately I could not come but I promise I will soon.

Ya you did look under the weather, it was good say high. Thanks for coming down I knew you didn't feel good.

The 400 I'm going through it now, to get it in top condition. Yes it's for sale but I doubt anyone would ever pay enough for it to make it worth selling it. Ligitimate book ( from the old days) So how ligitimate I have no idea. But registered in Udon.

I try to keep my bikes in top condition, so I always know if I want to set out on a 1500 Klm ride I don't have to worry. Thats not cheap to do :D:D:)

Funnily enough my girlfriend had to fly up at short notice yesterday, we booked on Sunday night, to see her mother.

She told me this morning that her mother knows your wife's salon, though I didn't think she uses it, she says yes I know the salon "they have falang sit outside too much" :)

Unfortunately I could not come but I promise I will soon.

Hi Oldgit, Spose your MIL is right in a way, yes, it is a meeting point for local falangs, but i do have strict rules on alcohol, [after an incident 2 years ago] rules are that no beer before the salon is closed, useally about 6pm, and spirits only at xmas or new year, I really have to think of my wifes buisness, so even in the evening, beer bottle visibility is kept to a minimum, a large bowl of fruit and bottles of water are seen from the road, If your mrs is still in Namsom, tell her to pop in and have a chat with Pan [my mrs] ..

Ray, my uk friend has a 110cc Honda click just now, he wants something a bit more powerfull, he will be back in Thai next October 2010, so if you still have the bike, perhaps he will want it?

Cheers, Lickey,,

• 2 months later...
Hi oldgit,

Its true what Ray23 says and 99% right what dave suspects, Ive lived in Namsom 3 years now with the mrs, yes, she has the best beauty salon which does all, Sauna,massage,manicure,pedicure,haircut/styling,mudpack facials,hair dyes,wedding preparation,[early morning} unwanted hair removal,peg leg waxing, you name it, she does it,,

Our farm, its now totally organic, the main fruit now are bananas, next month will be Tamarind, some Papaya,we gave up on corn because of the labour costs to pick and process these,

I have my falang friends, Mark & Mike, english, Dennis, irish, Emil german, and every friday night, mrs will cook fish & chips with parsley sauce or mushy peas, @ a cost of 100bht per per person, she does a good assortment of western foods, but sausage egg & chips with bread and butter is a great favorite!!

Namsom, its a town of 8500 registered people, it probably exceeds that by 20%, the temple in the lake is really great, its been improved over the last 18 months with a supporting concrete wall around it, all done by local fund raising, same as the temple opposite our house, new dormitory & school being funded by locals having parties etc, Mrs has a lot to do with this,

Its a farming community, not much goes on here, what ive found is that peace of mind and an ability to be happy whatever the circumstances will contribute to my well-being,

So Oldgit, if you come to Namsom again, do drop in, just need 2 hours notice if you want fish& chips or any other easy falang food, that invite goes to all who wish to visit Namsom,

Cheers, Lickey & Pan,,

Good afternoon Lickey

We are driving to Namsom next month, the 18th, so I intend to to pop join your swaree on 19th if that's ok. I want to explore the area for a couple of days before driving back to Bangkok on 22nd.

At some stage I will need to make my mind up if I can live in the sticks.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

• 11 months later...

Hi Gents, Ladies.

I visited Namsom in December 2010 but only met the one farang during my time there, Lee in a bar he owns with his wife. Unfortunately I caught Lee a 'little worse for wear' late one evening a day or two before I left the area. Lee advised me a few farangs of various nationalities frequented his bar at lunchtimes, I got there around 5pm to find the place closed, so never saw Lee again.

Good news is I will be there in mid February again for a couple of weeks and will attempt to look him up. I have stumbled on this forum and hope to get to know a few of you before my next visit. I stayed on the outskirts in a chalet type room which had a shower, nice bed and a/c at a reasonable rate. I can't remember the name of the place, but it has a dozen or more chalets spread around and is on the eastern edge of the town. Too old and too English to attempt to stay without a/c. I'll stay in Udon for a couple of days, hire a car and head out to Namsom.

A little about me.....

46, English, don't live in UK. Met a young lady in the village, Na and her family. I have farang friends in Thailand from Phuket, Pattaya, Tak Fa. Have been visiting LOS regularly, Jontimen, for the past year and am looking at staying 'up north' more often. I do ride bikes, have seen some info on this subject here.

Looking forward to getting to know a few of you and if anyone knows Lee, tell him I said Hi!

Please book me in for Fish & Chips as I haven't eaten any in over a year please.

Hi oldgit,

Its true what Ray23 says and 99% right what dave suspects, Ive lived in Namsom 3 years now with the mrs, yes, she has the best beauty salon which does all, Sauna,massage,manicure,pedicure,haircut/styling,mudpack facials,hair dyes,wedding preparation,[early morning} unwanted hair removal,peg leg waxing, you name it, she does it,,

I have my falang friends, Mark & Mike, english, Dennis, irish, Emil german, and every friday night, mrs will cook fish & chips with parsley sauce or mushy peas, @ a cost of 100bht per per person, she does a good assortment of western foods, but sausage egg & chips with bread and butter is a great favorite!!

Namsom, its a town of 8500 registered people, it probably exceeds that by 20%, the temple in the lake is really great, its been improved over the last 18 months with a supporting concrete wall around it, all done by local fund raising, same as the temple opposite our house, new dormitory & school being funded by locals having parties etc, Mrs has a lot to do with this,

Its a farming community, not much goes on here, what ive found is that peace of mind and an ability to be happy whatever the circumstances will contribute to my well-being,

Cheers, Lickey & Pan,,

Good afternoon Lickey

We are driving to Namsom next month, the 18th, so I intend to to pop join your swaree on 19th if that's ok. I want to explore the area for a couple of days before driving back to Bangkok on 22nd.

At some stage I will need to make my mind up if I can live in the sticks.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Hi Windygale, yes,Lee bar is still going, on the bus station square, i dont go there very often as im not a football fan, Several other falangs will have gone home come end of January, but ill be here doing my life sentence,

I would think your mrs or her family will know the salon opposite the temple before the traffic lights as you come into Namsom from Ban Phu, if not PM me,and will pass on more detail, about food ect,,

Cheers, Lickey.

Hi Lickey.

I appreciate you getting back to me. Life sentence? I doubt it's that bad... I know the temple at the traffic lights, the lights only I seemed to obey. I remember a convenience shop there, I picked up some things for breakfast. I'll be back there on or around the 21 Feb for a week or so. I can use the chalets again unless you know an apartment or similar I can rent while I'm there? I work for 2 months and take 2 weeks out, so will need somewhere on a regular basis I'll rent a motor from Udon to get around in after a few days there.

It's a little colder where I'm at now, snow due any day so warmth will do me some good. I'm a Palace fan so I don't qualify as a footy supporter either, originally from East Grinstead, Sussex.

I read 'Private Dancer' and a few other cautionary tales so am being as sensible as I can with the Thai females, much to the annoyance of a certain young lady, would love to find a Thai copy of it, just to point out some cultural differences.

I have a bent copy of Rosetta Stone's Thai language course and a book on Buddhism I should really take a look at soon, but work gets in the way of most things at the moment. Tell Emil I speak German, or don't tell him and we can have some fun? Or tell Lee I'm German and we can have more fun!

Looking forward to the fish & chips and to meeting you, your good lady and the rest of the gang there.

Windy

It's a little colder where I'm at now, snow due any day so warmth will do me some good. I'm a Palace fan so I don't qualify as a footy supporter either, originally from East Grinstead, Sussex.

I read 'Private Dancer' and a few other cautionary tales so am being as sensible as I can with the Thai females, much to the annoyance of a certain young lady, would love to find a Thai copy of it, just to point out some cultural differences.

Windy

I would suggest getting a copy of 'Thailand Fever' at the airport because its writen in both Engrish and Thai. Its about cultural differences in relationships and very good.

BTW I used to work in East Grinstead in a previous life and this one is better. :jap:

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the book title, a fever, sounds ominous? But I have discovered many cultural differences between Westeners and Thais that I need to be aware of, so do the Thais close to us I believe to make a long and lasting relationship work? All part of the excitement, the learning of a new adventure for me. Hoping to make it one of my last though as I really should settle down somewhere in the world. I work and travel and don't really call anywhere home, about time I did and I'll be taking advice from you all on Isaan if I may? I'll have many questions when I get back there in a month, my apologies beforehand as I have a lot to take in should I decide to make a commitment to this part of the world.

The thought of living in East Grinstead is not a pleasant one, my father still lives there but I've not lived there for some 30 years.

Take care guys and I'll be there soon and hope to catch up with all of you.

Windy, the book will give you an impression of life in Thai, problem is all thai famlies differ, im not ashamed to say that i met my mrs on the net, her mums dying words were, find your self a falang, thai men cant be trusted,, i came here for 10 days, she never asked for money and looked after me very well, i done a bit of research about Thailand and read a lot of horror stories, mrs came to the UK for 6 months and she never missed home, well, at least she didnt tell me she did, so i sold up and now live here, now its 4 years 4 months,

It was a big commiment, leaving my grown up kids ,mum brothers ect,

You have made a good decision, rent some where for you both, dont agree to buy land or farm at short notice, i know a few falangs that have looked at Thailand throurgh rose tinted glasses and have lost everything, or will soon.

Of course dont be tight with money, take mum and dad out to dinner once a week or so, little things like that go a long way,

Cheers, Lickey..

Windy, the book will give you an impression of life in Thai, problem is all thai famlies differ, im not ashamed to say that i met my mrs on the net, her mums dying words were, find your self a falang, thai men cant be trusted,, i came here for 10 days, she never asked for money and looked after me very well, i done a bit of research about Thailand and read a lot of horror stories, mrs came to the UK for 6 months and she never missed home, well, at least she didnt tell me she did, so i sold up and now live here, now its 4 years 4 months,

You have made a good decision, rent some where for you both, dont agree to buy land or farm at short notice, i know a few falangs that have looked at Thailand throurgh rose tinted glasses and have lost everything, or will soon.

Of course dont be tight with money, take mum and dad out to dinner once a week or so, little things like that go a long way,

Cheers, Lickey..

Hi Lickey.

You have some sound advice and the benefit of experience living there for over 4 years. A friend of mine with similar experience shares the same views but urges me to be very cautious, as do a lot of the contributors I've read of on other forums on this site. To be honest, there seems to be too many Farangs complaining about everything, I wonder why they stay if things are as bad as they suggest? I am happy with the lady I've met and a 15 year age gap isn't eccessive (although all the ladies look so young whatever their age). No reasons for concern, just the amount of horror stories publicised, but all the good news stories probably go without reporting. So I'll remain optimistic and embrace Thai culture all I can.

My young lady Na, knows your shop and has frequented on numerous occaisions, so no doubt knows you and your missus. So I'm the odd one out and I'll chastise her a little for making me eat frogs & snakes instead of 'real food'!

I'm off to Dubai on Monday for a few days, meetings and work but a chance for some good food and cool beer(s), so I may not be on line as often for a week. Keep up the good Farang name and I'll do my best to do the same each time I'm there.

All the best, Windy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

Just to warn you all off, I'll be up your way from 27th Feb for a couple of weeks. I'll spend some time in Udon on arrival but will be in Namsom for Fish & Chips on Friday night. If you know of a nice appartment in the village I can rent for about 10 days, let me know please.

Windy.

Cheers, Lickey..

Hi Lickey.

You have some sound advice and the benefit of experience living there for over 4 years. A friend of mine with similar experience shares the same views but urges me to be very cautious, as do a lot of the contributors I've read of on other forums on this site. To be honest, there seems to be too many Farangs complaining about everything, I wonder why they stay if things are as bad as they suggest? I am happy with the lady I've met and a 15 year age gap isn't eccessive (although all the ladies look so young whatever their age). No reasons for concern, just the amount of horror stories publicised, but all the good news stories probably go without reporting. So I'll remain optimistic and embrace Thai culture all I can.

My young lady Na, knows your shop and has frequented on numerous occaisions, so no doubt knows you and your missus. So I'm the odd one out and I'll chastise her a little for making me eat frogs & snakes instead of 'real food'!

I'm off to Dubai on Monday for a few days, meetings and work but a chance for some good food and cool beer(s), so I may not be on line as often for a week. Keep up the good Farang name and I'll do my best to do the same each time I'm there.

All the best, Windy.

A Palace fan? and there was me thinking I was the only one in Thailand, in fact in SE Asia.

I used to have shares in Palace but lost them when one of the owners went bust, my only consolation was that he lost millions.

Hi oldgit.

I guess you're speaking of the Mark Goldberg days? I'm just daft enough to buy a new Palace shirt every few years. We're not as popular as the Man U's CHelsea types, that's because we're 'exclusive' which is why you'll not see a Palace shirt on sale outside of Croydon.

A Palace fan? and there was me thinking I was the only one in Thailand, in fact in SE Asia.

I used to have shares in Palace but lost them when one of the owners went bust, my only consolation was that he lost millions.