Thaksin Appointed As Adviser Of Cambodian Government

webfact

Former Thai PM appointed as adviser of Cambodian PM and gov't

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 4 (Xinhua) -- Former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was officially appointed as adviser of his Cambodian counterpart Hun Sen and the Royal Government of Cambodia y King Norodom Sihamoni, a statement of the Royal Government announced on Wednesday.

The King signed the Royal Decree of the appointment of Thaksin Shinawatra on Oct. 27. The appointment was made in accordance with the country's constitutions and at the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Hun Sen said, as he arrived in the beach resort of Hua Hin, Thailand, for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit on Oct. 23, that "Thaksin can stay in Cambodia as a guest of Cambodia. He can also be my adviser on the economy".

The Cambodian leader repeated an earlier invitation to Thaksin to stay in Cambodia and rejected Thai claims that Phnom Penh would have to extradite the tycoon.

"Our concern is for humanitarian reasons, it is friends helping friends. The internal affairs of Thailand would be left for Thai people to resolve, I am not interfering," said Hun Sen.

Thaksin was toppled from power in 2006 and he has been living in self-exile in foreign countries since then to avoid a two-year jail term for corruption.

Also, in the statement, Cambodia said it will not extradite Thaksin at a request from Thailand if he comes and stays in Cambodia. Meanwhile, it said that the Royal Government will continue its policy of having friendly relations with Thailand.

Ties between Cambodia and Thailand have been soured since June 2008 amid a border conflict over land surrounding an 11th century temple. But relations have cooled further since Hun Sen made his first invitation to Thaksin last month.

The Cambodian government said earlier that under treaties between the two nations it could reject a request for Thaksin's extradition because it would be made on the grounds of "political offence."

Thaksin, born in Thailand's northern province Chiang Mai in 1949, became one of the richest people in Thailand by setting up telecommunications companies like Shin Corporation and Advanced Info Service before entering politics.

Thaksin entered politics by joining the Phalang Dharma Party (Power of Justice Party) in 1994, and once served as Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister in two administrations.

-- Source: Agencies

-->> Get the Nation/Thaivisa news faster via SMS:

-->> 14 days free trial, dial *424010011 on your mobile

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hun Sen is a real mad dog of SE Asia.

He is the real threat to the region.

Let's see what Abhisit will react.

Thaksin time is over. the more Thailand ignores Thaksin the better is for Thailand. Thailand should only go after him as criminal that he is

I have been getting so riled up and p*ssed off about Thai politics for as long as I can remember but for some reason I find this development hilarious. Grown men acting like spiteful children..I can't wait to hear the indignant howling from the Thai side.

I have been getting so riled up and p*ssed off about Thai politics for as long as I can remember but for some reason I find this development hilarious. Grown men acting like spiteful children..I can't wait to hear the indignant howling from the Thai side.

Precisely

I admire Hun Sen to be so patient with the current aggressive Thai government.

Anyway, Hun Sen shows he has no problem with Thailand: he takes a Thai man as an adviser.

It's even excellent: as soon as Thailand will have a normal government, friendship between the two countries will be as good as usual.

Update:

Thaksin thanks Hun Sen for appointing him as adviser

Fugitive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Thursday that it is an honour for him that Cambodian government appointed him as an economic adviser for the premier and the government.

"I would like to thank (Cambodia's Prime Minister)'s Hun Sen for appointing me as his economic adviser," Thaksin said in his twitter (Thaksinlive).

King Sihamoni signed the Royal Decree of the appointment of Thaksin Shinawatra on Oct 27. The appointment was made in accordance with the country's constitutions and at the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-05

Former Thai PM appointed as adviser of Cambodian PM and gov't

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 4 (Xinhua) -- Former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was officially appointed as adviser of his Cambodian counterpart Hun Sen

Oh !

Hun Sen was overthrown by a coup and is a "former" PM ?

Godd news for Cambodia, for sure ...

:)

Wonder what he'll sell off first?

[/q

during my years there i remember rumours of him buying cheap land in cambodia and then getting the thai gov to give cambodia soft? which means no repayment, loans to build roads near them thereby increasing the lands price x100.Can anybody substantiate(sp) this?

Looks like a connection,asia mafia alive and well

the same thing a bunch of guys did with the usa rail saga long ago,now billionaires,although dead

This is like a game of poker: I'll see your Phra Wirahan and raise you one Thaksin! :)

The Phra Wirahan is just a bluff.

The real point are the dispute in the gulf borders with the oil and gas. Both Thailand and Cambodia claim them.

The temple has zero value but is nice to mobilize some nationalists.

Would there be enough legal reason to revoke Thaksin's Thai citizenship because of this? I'm sure they've worked it out so it wouldn't be illegal, but still, that just seems like a really slimy thing to do. Then again, it is Tahksin, what can we expect from the little Hitler.

Edited by tominbkk

This is like a game of poker: I'll see your Phra Wirahan and raise you one Thaksin! :)

Wow?? you are so smart about this thing?? The Thais never learn about Phra Wirahan...and the Cambodian government. History of the Thai always taught not to trust the Cambodian, Vietnam, Burma and Laos. Now, I am waiting to see how the Thai government is going to do with this matter??? By the way, the show must go on...and I am surprised the Economist really loves the old Prime minister Thaksin and it always praised him on and off...my take and opinion.

this is totally amazing.. Thaksin has no shame at all. Now the Thai people are seeing exactly what he is. A greedy, insane businessman, with no cares what so ever for his people. but what the hey, Cambodia is a lot closer than Dubai, if someone was actually wanting to get rid of him. right? And I hear, it's even cheaper to hire those type of people in Cambodia. I mean, what Cambodian would give a crap about whacking some Thai. :)

The current government gonna look stupid when Thaksin is lifting Cambodia. Then after a few years the Thais will wonder "What happened"?

Hahaha, good one. Because he did such wonders here...how is the traffic in BKK now still years after he promised his 6month resolution? Oh, that is right, nothing ever happened to his promises.

The current government gonna look stupid when Thaksin is lifting Cambodia. Then after a few years the Thais will wonder "What happened"?

Be assured, it takes more than Mr. Thaksin to lift Cambodia lol

What a shame, this guy Thaksin falls lower and lower. He should give up, acting as a man, not a snake.

He wont last long in Cambodia. Everything but the money grabbing will be over soon. This is what happens when you're so rich that you don't have advisors around who will tell you when you are being foolish. In fact, I bet there's a good bit of palace intrigue at play.

Would there be enough legal reason to revoke Thaksin's Thai citizenship because of this? I'm sure they've worked it out so it wouldn't be illegal, but still, that just seems like a really slimy thing to do. Then again, it is Tahksin, what can we expect from the little Hitler.

There would be no legal justification.What is more, if withdrawn, it would presumably deny Thailand's jurisdiction over Thaksin.

I don't see how anyone comes out well out of this - the ridiculous Thai Foreign Minister who has a record of insulting Cambodians and Hun Sen, the thuggish and corrupt Hun Sen who in a fit of pique undermines the genuine work done in recent years to secure ASEAN unity, the self -centred Thaksin who should have shown his concern by kicking the advisor concept out of court in the first place.

But on one point Hun Sen is right , namely that the campaign against Thaksin is politically motivated.In fact everybody knows this although the charade plays on.(This doesn't mean there isn't substance to some of the charges - all relatively trivial or in some cases baseless - but the reality is that the process is driven by the wish of Thaksin's political enemies to destroy him though not at the risk of damaging themselves which is why the really serious charges aren't being brought).