Mould Popping Up Everywhere In My Condo

pepi2005

Hi,

I'm living in a condo close to the sea, high floor, with constant flow of wind through every room.

Even so, I recently noticed a considerable increase of green-colored mould just everywhere: even some of my T-Shirts in the wardrobe got mould growing on it (even though its doors are latticed), mould on the walls of my kitchen cupboards (even though all bottles, packs etc. are closed in it) etc.

post-16289-1257394215_thumb.jpg T-Shirt, wardrobe door in the background

post-16289-1257394227_thumb.jpg that's how the walls of the cupboards look like..

Any tips on how i can get rid of it?

thanks,

p.

Your first step is to identify and then remove the source of the moisture.

Perhaps its due to humidity in the air when leaving your windows open (try a dehumidifier, or keeping the windows closed and using air-con), it could also be due to a water leak so check around, but somehow I suspect that its former that is causing the problem.

Dehumidifier and air-con will not help if the windows are sliding types due to their poor wind insulation.

First thing I do will be to clean all surfaces, including the walls with anti-bacteria agent (eg. Dettol) to rid the spores. Clear out the wardrobe for steam washing, and all fabric furnishing needs to be sunned.

If you have wall to wall carpet, get rid of it and use timber or ceramic instead.

My guess is that a large part of your condo has poor access to sunlight.

Try putting black lights in the bottom half of your closet and leaving them switched on 24/7, the light kills the mold and bacteria. The only alternative is to remove the source of moisture so either turn on the aircon/dehumidifier 24/7 else move the ocean. :)