Airport Transport

dalmatian

Arriving in Phuket soon and staying in Patong. Saw it mentioned that taxis are available but what is the average cost for the ride. Some say 500, some 550, do they ever put their meter on or should I just haggle the best price.

Also I am arriving around midday time, will I have any problems getting a taxi i.e are there plenty available or will I need to wait. Also is it a smart step to go upstairs and try to jump in one dropping off at departures or is that a no no!

I heard there is also a van, this sounds like a good idea as the time of arrival gives me plenty of time to get to my resort and relax. I'm not a great drinker so not really in a hurry. Again what is the cost and are they easily available, do they hang around till they are full etc.

Any advice welcomed.

The only place on Phuket where you'll find meter taxi;'s is at arrivals at the airport. They will use the meter.

Including airport charge 500 Baht sounds right to me.

You could also take a shared minibus, will be cheaper, but will go to several hotels on the way, and also to a travelagent to sell you some tours. I guess 200 Baht to Patong, will depart when full.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the connection between being a great drinker and to be in a hurry.

Arriving in Phuket soon and staying in Patong. Saw it mentioned that taxis are available but what is the average cost for the ride. Some say 500, some 550, do they ever put their meter on or should I just haggle the best price.

2 types of taxi, airport limo and meter taxi. You cannot haggle for the price. Airport limo fixed price, meter taxi on meter. Meter taxi is usually slightly cheaper, including the 100 baht airport surcharge.

Also I am arriving around midday time, will I have any problems getting a taxi i.e are there plenty available or will I need to wait. Also is it a smart step to go upstairs and try to jump in one dropping off at departures or is that a no no!

Plenty of taxis all hours. Trying to hire a drop-off taxi is a no no.

I heard there is also a van, this sounds like a good idea as the time of arrival gives me plenty of time to get to my resort and relax. I'm not a great drinker so not really in a hurry. Again what is the cost and are they easily available, do they hang around till they are full etc.

Van is about 200 baht, but takes longer waiting for a fill-up, and then going round hotels dropping off. If you are in no hurry then this is a cheap option, but you will be herded into a tour center on route and be hassled into buying a tour or alternative hotel, etc.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the connection between being a great drinker and to be in a hurry.

I am sure there are many of you out there who after arrival prefer to get quickly to your hotel, drop your bags and head for the first bar rather than relaxing, taking a shower and getting tarted up for the night out. I am just not that desperate for a drink so that is why I am not in a hurry. Sorry thought the comment spoke for itself but thanks for the info anyway.

Thanks for all the info, the meter taxi sounds like the best bet as I don't fancy stopping off and being co-erced into buying something I don't need. I have my hotel booked already and looking forward to my time on the island.

I always got a airport limousine when arriving back in Phuket but after spending 4 months in Africa I came back yesterday to find out the price for an Airport Taxi/Limousine is now 750 Baht, it just keeps going up and up and up. Took a meter taxi for 500 Baht instead, i may have been ripped off by not using the meter but 500 Baht is still a good price. Real nice fellow driving too.