Has Anyone Been Driving Road 105?

MikeyIdea

The route105 runs from the Tak junction on the route 1 to Chiang Mai over to Mae Sot and is a very scenic route for passengers however the driver will have no time to look as he will be very busy keeping the car on the very hilly and twisty roads and avoiding broken down trucks in the left and centre lanes as well as cars coming down the left, centre and sometimes your lane as well.

They are in the process of widening the road and in a lot of places the surface ranges from bad to diabolical.

There are about 5 police/army check points on the way as well.

The route 1117 runs from Khampaeng Phet to the Mae Wong national park and on to Chong Yen and 58 km along it you will pass my house sandwiched between 2 resorts after Klong Lan.

This road surface ranges from good to excellent right up to the Mae Wong national park where it degrades into a bad road and the further along it you go the worse it gets however it is being resurfaced but will never be that good because when you get to Chong Yen it literally is the end of the drivable road as it turns into a path from there on.

There is supposedly a very nice waterfall only 9 km walking distance away from Chong Yen.

You are then only 35 walking km from the next nearest town of Umpang or by road you go back to Khampaeng Phet, up to the Tak junction, across to Mae Sot where you hang a left on the route 1090 to Umpang. About 350 km.

Apologies for my stupidity, I read through the mail, stopped and thought that I better add some towns, got called off to something at work, came back, quickly read through the post, that looks good, and clicked submit... Yes, I saw how foolish it looked with only numbers in it but couldn't edit :)

Thanks for that Billd766. Looking at my map, I wondered if 105 would be curvy enough (looks straight like a German autobahn some parts), I was clearly wrong. Driving on roads like that is time consuming and holidays are a sparse commodity in Thailand so may I also ask this please. I'm assuming that I won't have time to do both... Of the 2 below options...

1) Road 1095 (Chieng Mai - Pai - Mae Hong Son) and road 108 down and then out past Doi Inthanon to better roads in the middle of the country and down to Bangkok again

2) Pass Doi Inthanon and go west, road 108 and then 105 down south and out to Tak and the fast roads back to Bangkok again.

Which option is more scenic and beautiful?

Michael