Ideas For Selling Food.

lennya12threh

My girlfriend doesn't want to do some shitty accounting job, and we both think it would be funner to do something ourselves and be our own boss. This is not serious by any means. We have enough money to get by while I study in university, but she is getting bored of doing nothing, as she just finished studying herself. A bit of extra money per month would be nice, but she has worked in an office before and its shit, and the pay is shit too. Though any shit pay would be nice, but its not about the pay as much as it is my girlfriend being more occupied and relatively happy with what shes doing.

We were thinking of having some portable "shop" that sells something that we have made by ourself. No boss, no stress and strict rules. We choose the hours, and I can help out when I'm not at university. I know there millions of ideas for things to sell or make, but nothing seems to get me. I want something unique.

BTW. We live close to the border of Nakom Pahtom, on Phet Kasem. I place with no foriengers at all, and alot of markets nearby selling just about everything, and all the food is delicious too.

Even if it only brings in 5,000 month, for working a low amount of hours per day is fine. Its better than doing nothing, though she does spend alot of time washing and ironing clothes every day, and studying languages.

What the hel_l could we do.

I have a Thai friend who had a full time job, he has a wife and two children,,, his wages were low and he looked extremely fed up and never smiled.

He left his Job, bought a Samlor, and now sells that Ice slush Drink in all different flavours.

He is doing well and earning more than he was before, now he is his own boss and can go whenever he pleases.

Nowadays he is very happy and always smiling.

He buys the Ice drink from the company and does very well selling it.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

OK so first thing is hows the work permit for you?

There is a couple around Pattaya, the Thai lady sells the food off a Samlor and her Farang Partner does the driving around.

Do you think he will need a work permit for that ???

Depends how funny the police want to be really and when you think what punishment could be metered out.

Im not saying he shouldnt do it just "be careful" in what he does.

My factory is on Phetkasem, and one of my staff buys veggies on the weekend from some wholesale market and then has a booth in a Nakorn Pathom market.  He pulls in between 2,000 and 5,000 baht each day he does it.

Your in Asia now. You can sell almost any kind of food or beverage, if you tell them it is an aphrodisiac.

Buy those cheap blue pills at the Burma border, grind them up and sprinkle it on a banana shake. Then, sell it as an aphrodisiac coctail. After a while you'll get repeat customers. :):D

My girlfriend doesn't want to do some shitty accounting job, and we both think it would be funner to do something ourselves and be our own boss. This is not serious by any means. We have enough money to get by while I study in university, but she is getting bored of doing nothing, as she just finished studying herself. A bit of extra money per month would be nice, but she has worked in an office before and its shit, and the pay is shit too. Though any shit pay would be nice, but its not about the pay as much as it is my girlfriend being more occupied and relatively happy with what shes doing.

We were thinking of having some portable "shop" that sells something that we have made by ourself. No boss, no stress and strict rules. We choose the hours, and I can help out when I'm not at university. I know there millions of ideas for things to sell or make, but nothing seems to get me. I want something unique.

BTW. We live close to the border of Nakom Pahtom, on Phet Kasem. I place with no foriengers at all, and alot of markets nearby selling just about everything, and all the food is delicious too.

Even if it only brings in 5,000 month, for working a low amount of hours per day is fine. Its better than doing nothing, though she does spend alot of time washing and ironing clothes every day, and studying languages.

What the hel_l could we do.

Selling can be a fun experience for you two. However, everything that can be sold is already being sold. You just have to find a setup area that is easy for people to get to. Lots of mobile booths can make allot of money. I know one that was selling sausage and meatballs bringing in 2000 baht a day

Or if you dont want to cook, you can do something like Thai Shaved Ice with flavored Syrup.

You need to get a honda wave set up with a mobile cart attached so you can drive around and sell at different areas, that would beat the boredom of the same spot everyday

As far as chosing a product, tough call if you have no family recipes or secrets

Thanks for all the great input. Basically. She would do it maybe and average of 3 hours a day while I'm studying, or more if I came back and helped or sat there as well. Just as something to do and some extra income. I only study 16 lecture hours per week, and maybe study an extra 10ish hours per week, so I have some extra time as well.

The "slushie" sounds like a good idea. Actually, right in the area of our condo we rarely see one of those slushie carts (with the 5 flavours and the little black balls to add in, I love it)

It is easy too, and you cant really make any mistakes. Doesn't require alot of ingredients or "tools."

There is some profit to be made from a street cart setup..if you can find a good product to sell and a good location.

However it will require much more effort than 3 hours per day especially if your selling food ( at least one hour setup time and another to clean up after )

It certainly can be a fun filled passtime..

But..big but.

Make sure you are not even seen to be working on this project or you could be in for at the very least a hefty fine

maybe jail and deportation no joke...its happened to many people before.

I helped my neighbor move a heavy table, did I need a work permit for helping to do that?

Nio, yes technically you should have had a work permit !!!! :)

you where lucky some official was not lurking in the shadows !!!

obviously doing a one off thing like that is very low risk..but if the OP wants to "help out" regularly he should be careful.

I would go as far as saying he should not be seen to help out because the risk to him is too great.

Edited by johng

One thing they sell here in the USA at the weekend markets that I have not seen sold on the streets of Thailand are Pretzel Braids heated on a outside grill with pizza toppings and they are delicious!

They are soft pretzels with pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni slices laid on top and heated on a grill so the outside layer of the pretzel is crisp on the outside, soft and hot on the inside. The yeast in the pretzel, combined with the sprinkled salt on top along with the savory pizza sauce & melted cheese come together to create a crave-able savory, salty, sweet hot & filling easy to make and serve offering. And if you were to have a pile of Ice and fresh lemons near, you could cut and squeeze some lemons into a cup, fill it with ice, water and sugar and sell fresh lemonade and call it an American or Canadian, or Australian Snack Stand.

There is a couple around Pattaya, the Thai lady sells the food off a Samlor and her Farang Partner does the driving around.

Yep, he's working as a driver and in any case probably wouldn't get one for that type of work.

It's not an urban myth that you can get collared over stuff like this. A guy was deported few years back for driving his missus around while she was posting leaflets of all things. You'd generally have to be very unlucky or possibly got up someone's nose, yet keeping well out of the limelight if doing stuff like this and money is changing hands is common sense.

Sounds like another desperado Farang that will do anything, legal or illegal trying to make ends meet in Thailand so he can stay here.

Street vending falls under the prohibited professions act.

My thought exactly... but I have decided to become p.c.

Good quality grass makes me ใจเย็นเย็น :)

Well thanks for the input again. I didnt realize it was so strict like that. This wasnt meant for me to work. I could teach english for a much better wage. :) this was just meant for my gf to keep busy and not get so bored and bring in a bit of extra cash. Shes interested in it too.. The money isnt needed by any means, but it would be nice...

You know before I used to stand with my friend behind a shop selling a desert type item and a couple times made one for fun. One time helped push the cart down the street.. Good thing I didnt get deported.. thats rediculous......

Thanks for the heads up.

There is a farang that has a shop in MBK. The last three times I have been there, he was there working. And not just handing around but greeting customers and taking money. Had not seen that previously. Are there really farang who have gotten in trouble for this sort of thing? We know its against the rules, but enforced?

There is a farang that has a shop in MBK. The last three times I have been there, he was there working. And not just handing around but greeting customers and taking money. Had not seen that previously. Are there really farang who have gotten in trouble for this sort of thing? We know its against the rules, but enforced?

Yes, and you see a lot of falangs with their Thai spouses setting up shop at the night bizarre at Lampini, and also JJ market too, out in the open for all of the coppers to see, so TIT. Usually 500-1000 baht a month will keep you "legal" jing jing! :)

Sounds like another desperado Farang that will do anything, legal or illegal trying to make ends meet in Thailand so he can stay here.

Street vending falls under the prohibited professions act.

Very cynical.

The OP, very credibly, has said that a mere 5000 bht per MONTH would suffice. He, and his GF only want to put a few hours per day into the venture. They are looking for an activity to relieve her boredom more than make an income.

Doesn't sound like "another desperado farang" to me.

OP, Paul made some good suggestions...thinking outside the Thai box. I think Thais, especially small town or rural Thais may be a little resistant to new ideas/foods/products, however, any product that is worth selling will sell itself.

Part of your adventure could be being completely original by introducing new taste sensations to the populace.....there was a time, not so long ago, when sushi was unheard of in Western countries..... maybe Paul's idea or something simmilar would give you more stimulation by it's novelty. Be prepared for a slow start, though. (And since money is not the aim here.....a slow start will not matter too much). You never know, you may start a fad....end up franchising the idea and actually making real money!

:D:D yes he needs a work permit

from which planet ere you? who let you go to a university??!!!!

have you ever been in thailand or is your girlfriend your webcam girlfriend :) looool

I helped my neighbor move a heavy table, did I need a work permit for helping to do that?

If the judge decides that it could be considered working yes they can deport you fine you etc ( even i you helped him only by giving advise,( to make it more obvious) about how to arrange his tables and chaires in his restaurant you may be considered working ILLEGALLLLLYYYY :D

actually now you are asking this for your girlfriend according to thai law there is a theoretical possibility that you are doing a prohibited thing already :D

And you will neverr get a WP to help your webcam friend sell food on streets, :D

Tell us the truth you have never been to thailand have you? come its a nice country convice your parents to bring you

Very cynical.

The OP, very credibly, has said that a mere 5000 bht per MONTH would suffice. He, and his GF only want to put a few hours per day into the venture. They are looking for an activity to relieve her boredom more than make an income.

Doesn't sound like "another desperado farang" to me.

OP, Paul made some good suggestions...thinking outside the Thai box. I think Thais, especially small town or rural Thais may be a little resistant to new ideas/foods/products, however, any product that is worth selling will sell itself.

Part of your adventure could be being completely original by introducing new taste sensations to the populace.....there was a time, not so long ago, when sushi was unheard of in Western countries..... maybe Paul's idea or something simmilar would give you more stimulation by it's novelty. Be prepared for a slow start, though. (And since money is not the aim here.....a slow start will not matter too much). You never know, you may start a fad....end up franchising the idea and actually making real money!

very nice you should visit thailand too if you have the time :)