Washing Machine Electrolux Ewf771 Broke Down

sillyfools

Not sure where to put this in the forums. I hope maybe one of you can help me out.

I have a washing machine Electrolux model EWF 771 that stopped working 2 days ago.

Electrolux mechanic came in today and said the mainboard needs to be replaced (and the door switch - not sure why that is necessary as the door worked fine).

He quoted me a price of 6700 THB on a wahing machine that is 2.5y old (half year over warranty).

That price sounds rather excessive. Does anyone over here know somebody who can fix/replace it at a decent price?

I live in Bangkok.

Thanks

Edited by sillyfools

Expect the door switch controls the main board as if open you do not want it running. But I would wonder if perhaps that is the only thing wrong.

The problem with any appliance here is no spare parts except thorugh official dealer so even if you find a tech he likely can not fix it if replacement required. There are shops that make there living doing repairs (often shop-house selling used units) but don't have any experience with them. But in general if you buy high price you pay high price for repairs here.

There are a number of places that sell common replacement service parts for many domestic appliances, the chain store 'Amorn' I think is correct, although replacing the parts you mentioned are beyond an unskilled person - it would be a starting point for you to see what the real life replacement parts may cost. If they don't have an identical make/model comparing similar items would at least give a guide.

The door switch might be like this about 1600 Baht.

If this is the same main PCB? at 4750 Baht, then the extra 350 Baht for fitting them seems a very fair price.

That is if both those parts need replacing.

HTH.

I am a bit surprise, Electrolux have a good reputation on costumers service, I bought a washing machine and dryer (Zanucchi) 12 years ago, and Electrolux is doing my maintenance, I find the quote price for parts and service to be very fair.

I directly ring the main center / New petchburi road Huay Kwang / house appliances 027259100 laundry system 027259100

For you parts i think they have a Amorn (if that is correct) in the old siam, they have many spare parts

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I'm just quite surprised that the repair price is 6,700 THB after less than owning it for 3 years. I had hoped my washing machine to last in the 10 year range.

Im also a bit puzzled how the technician can say that both items are broken all at once. It would make sense that or the PCB has a problem or the switch but both at the same time looks more like guesswork to me.

In Thailand, I do not take face value with what the first person tell me, I deep in to find a better solution, sometime it work sometime not

Did you ring the main center?

If yes, did you spoke to the manager regarding this cost? Or customer service ?

Electrolux is in my top list if I need to buy a new washing machine and dryer, but if what you said is definitely, I will reconsider my next brand when mine zanucchi gone.

one the brochure i have with washing machine & dryer the customer care number is 027180200

But i use the New Petchaburi road Bangkapi service 027259000

Edited by simcity

They should replace it for you for free, warranty or not. A washing machine that dies after 2 1/2 years is a total joke. These things need to last 5 or 10 years.

If the mainboard really does need to be replaced the quoted price sounds pretty OK to me. What are you gonna do, you can't fix a mainboard, you have to buy a new one. But like I said, should be under warranty. Honestly, if they didn't I would just throw this washing machine out and get another brand that has a decent life span.

They should replace it for you for free, warranty or not. A washing machine that dies after 2 1/2 years is a total joke. These things need to last 5 or 10 years.

If the mainboard really does need to be replaced the quoted price sounds pretty OK to me. What are you gonna do, you can't fix a mainboard, you have to buy a new one. But like I said, should be under warranty. Honestly, if they didn't I would just throw this washing machine out and get another brand that has a decent life span.

It is difficult. In the UK at least all the standard warranties are now just one year, with hefty add-on charges for extras years of cover. My feeling is that, given the age of this appliance, a new machine is better value than 6K plus for a new main board (you are just getting to the time when other things like seals may go). Funnily enough my Electrolux Aqualux seemed to have died two days ago (flooding via overfilling ) but it turned out just to be a leaking air pipe to the pressure switch - 75baht. That machine is nearly 10 years old.

The likelyhood is that the main PCB is not a total write off and it is a single component that has failed, service engineers are programed to sell the replacement part even though they might know it is a common failue of a particular item on the board. As you are out of warranty there is no comeback to you if you choose to take the machine to a third party repair shop that do component level repairs. They would also be able to replace the door switch if that is the only item that has failed, but I agree with your comment that it is unlikely that two items have failed at the same time. As fail-safe is build in to most appliances - a faulty door switch will disable the whole thing.

"The likelyhood is that the main PCB is not a total write off and it is a single component that has failed, service engineers are programed to sell the replacement part even though they might know it is a common failue of a particular item on the board."

Yeah, it's a scam! Oh look my eyes are rolling. Service technicians do not have the time, the technical ability, or the parts to troubleshoot down to the component level.

What do you expect to pay to have your out-of-warranty appliance repaired, nothing? For all of the time and trouble you're going to waste - and that doesn't include breaking something trying to repair it yourself - 7000THB seems reasonable. On the other hand, if you insist on buying and installing parts yourself, there's an Amorn on the 4th floor of...it doesn't matter.

I've just had a new circuit board and a new pump fitted in my Electrolux washing machine, it's almost 3 years old. The price was 7.300B. Electrolux parts came from Bangkok.The guy came out the first time to find out what the problem was then came back a week later to fit the parts, his charge was 300B, so i guess these are correct prices.

If i remember rightly i took out some sort of insurance years ago in the UK after having repairs to my Hotpoint washer, they were over a hundred pounds and that was 15 years ago!

After hand washing for a week i couldn't have cared less what the price was. :)

The likelyhood is that the main PCB is not a total write off and it is a single component that has failed, service engineers are programed to sell the replacement part even though they might know it is a common failure of a particular item on the board. As you are out of warranty there is no comeback to you if you choose to take the machine to a third party repair shop that do component level repairs.

Yep, I'd rip the board out and take it to a local electronics shop and have them test components if you don't have a meter and don't know what you're doing.

On warranties, my LG TV gave up just 2 months out of warranty... tough titties was the general consensus from head office. Although of course it's out of warranty so the company is covered, I won't be buying from them again as fundamental parts of these things should not be giving up so soon, spikes and troughs notwithstanding.

my Electrolux washing machine (spinning cycle) just broke down.... but its at least 7 years old (likely older as I bought the condo 7 yrs ago and the machine was already installed)....

the main Bangkok service center said that the service fee is Baht 500 and the 2 parts most likely needed (for a spin cycle breakdown) will in hand with the engineer when he arrives at my condo (Baht 3,600 program part? and Baht 2,300 electronic part? for a total of Baht 5,900)...

however, he would not have in hand a new motor (and if that is needed that is an additional Baht 5,400)....

if he needs a new motor, that would be Baht 5,400 + Baht 5,900 + Baht 300 = Baht 11,600

at that level I am wondering should I just get a new washing machine? I have no idea about washing machines (but I know its a "front loader", with wash and dry cycle, but dry cycle is never used).....

Edited by trajan

If you know the part that you need to repair and you can take them out you can take them to China town near Old Siam there is a lot of shops that sell washing machine parts and also if you have the circuit board and switch there are guys on the side of the road sitting at tables with cicuit testers and soldering irons doing repairs to anything electrical and know where to get the parts fast, they are cheaper and do the same work.

Last week my wife took me there to fix our security camera transformer that the switches and connectors had burned out and car stereo ,we had to wait around for a couple of hours ,but both are now working and cost 700 for parts and labour.

that would be great if I had the time, patience and gadget building know-how....

I dont mind having the repair guy doing it, but at some point in the cost-benefit analysis, it might make sense to buy a new machine (as the results of the repair might not last long enought to make it worthwhile)...

once its repaired with circuit board, electronics etc. does it normally last another 5 to 7 years? or does it just breakdown in a year or so?

• 9 months later...

if he needs a new motor, that would be Baht 5,400 + Baht 5,900 + Baht 300 = Baht 11,600

at that level I am wondering should I just get a new washing machine? I have no idea about washing machines (but I know its a "front loader", with wash and dry cycle, but dry cycle is never used).....

Although I'd repair it myself, you can pick up a new front loader (older model, promotion) from the likes of HomePro at that price, including a 90-degree wash and a short wash option.