Getting your own animated avatar

Guest IT Manager

Guest IT Manager

There are plenty of ani-gifs about that you can use, but for ease of demo, try this.

Go to http://www.nutrocker.co.uk/images/

Select the gif you want and right click..select open in new window

Copy the address line of the new window, by using Control Key plus "c"

Open your control panel in Thaivisa.com and select Personal Info

Select Avatar options

At the bottom, click in Personal avatar options, and as long as you followed the bit about Control plus C, you can now hit Control plus v and paste the address into the box there, from your clipboard.

Voila, you now have a personal avatar.

Hope that helps.

The downside is that 4,5,6 or more seperate images are required to make up 1 animated gif (as I'm sure you know IT).

Which means in a topic with say 10 postings, everybody having animated gifs would mean downloading the equivalent of 50 gif images.

Which for those of you using the already slow Thai internet could be a little frustrating.

However, I think I noticed an option to 'switch off' avtar viewing somewhere in the personal, yes?.

J

Which means in a topic with say 10 postings, everybody having animated gifs would mean downloading the equivalent of 50 gif images.

There is a little place on your hard disk called "Temporary Internet Files"

So....you only download the image once, then its called locally on repeat visits.

Now. My Avatar - here is how i did it.

1) took a suitable video, mine is from Monty Pythons "fish slapping dance"

2) put the video into Adobe Premiere, cropped it to size, and got a nice loop going.

3) saved the video as a .gif image sequence. Loaded that sequence into ULead;s GifAnimator.

4) cut every other frame, reduced colour depth and dithered, got it below 20k (a requirement on another board i frequent).

5) upload to a suitable web server, finito.

that is all.

./P

IT, are you using Netscape as your browser?  Because in my version of Internet Explorer, there isn't an option to open an image in a new window.

You can, however, still grab the URL.  Just right mouse click on the graphic you want, select Properties, then copy and paste the URL you see in the URL field.

I just went down to khun lek's and had a lovely thai soup which cost 20 baht and my wife had a spicey salad, and i said wow how can you eat so spicey first thing and she iled and said helps me wake up,he he he..... we also bouht one bottle of water and had two glasses and we shared the water what a lovely morning it was.

thanks IT, only problem is your link seems to require membership. I googled it and found this one: animated gifs. lots of different ones.  the option to turn off viewing avatars is in your control panel. fortunately, altho my connection isn't the fastest, it is certainly isn't the slowest either

Guest IT Manager

any ideas on how to place a photo (jpeg or gif) in the posting.

the help section here does not seem to work at all.

thanks.

Hi Tax,

To use the picture as an avatar, you will need to upload the picture to a webserver. The avatar is called from on the internet. If you don't have a website send me the pic, you can leave it on my site and call it from there. If you need to do that I will give you the directions in PM.

To use a picture in a posting I haven't worked out yet, but remember the comment about the speed of connections. Make sure it is small as you can make it.

thanks ######,

i dont need another avatar, but would like to use pictures from the web sometimes in a posting, i've tried entering the

http:// thingy above and typing in the web address of the picture, but when i post ,the post only copies the address, not the picture. next time i'll try using the image button

errrr - ani, GIF, JPEG, upload, download, URL, in, out, it's all Greek to me....

...and I'm not going to ask whether Chonabot or Membrane was the first to use that hottie shaking her bread rack in the yellow bikini as their Avatar...

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHERE IS THE BUTTON YOU CLICK TO MAKE HER POP OUT OF THE COMPUTER???

:o

solve this techies, and you will earn my respect for life.

Guest IT Manager

It's easy SVB... right click on the Avatar adn a context menu comes up and one of the options in any good browser is "add to bedroom". Left click that and Gfukt is your uncle. Or Bob or whatever..

:o

To add an image, just click on the "Image" button, which is the second one from the right, (right next to "Flash").  You'll see it.  You just paste the URL and enjoy the show!

Now, let's all have a moment of silence and observe...

shake2.gif

Hypnotic, isn't it??  

:o  Wow!  I think I'm in love!   :laugh: