Thai Wife Receives Life Sentence For Murdering British Husband

canoncam

Harborough Mail, Published Date: 05 November 2009

Thai woman and lover jailed over murder

THE THAI wife of a Harborough-born man has been jailed for life along with her lover after being found guilty of murdering her husband.

Ian Beeston (69), who grew up in Knights End Road, Great Bowden, was clubbed and stabbed to death in Roi-Et, north-eastern Thailand, on August 9, last year.

A murder trail started last Thursday and standing accused of Mr Beeston's murder were his 43-year-old wife Wachariewau Beeston (nee Kongmee) and her lover Songjit Channondon (49).

Unlike British law, where trials can takes weeks if not months, Thai justice proved swift.

Statements for prosecution and defence were given last Thursday and a Roi-Et courtroom found the defendants guilty.

The hearing was adjourned until yesterday, when Mr Beeston's wife and Channondon were sentenced to life behind bars.

It is believed Mr Beeston's wife denied the murder charge and that Channondon admitted assault but denied intending to kill Mr Beeston.

Under the strange system of Thai law, after Channondon was arrested last summer he was taken back to the scene of the murder and showed onlookers how he had clubbed Mr Beeston to death with a bamboo-like cane.

A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, said yesterday: "We are aware of the sentencing of Wachariewau Kongmee and Songjit Channondon.

"Both have been found guilty at a Roi-Et courtroom and given life imprisonment for the murder of Mr Beeston.

"We are in close contact with the family."

Father-of-two Mr Beeston was described as a 'lovely chap' by neighbours in Thailand.

It is believed he moved to the country ten years ago and invested his £350,000 life savings in a guest house and restaurant.

A former pupil at Market Harborough Grammar School – now Robert Smyth – and a member of the town's air cadets, he moved away from Harborough when aged in his 20s.

His body was found in a blood-soaked room and Thai authorities said Mr Beeston may have taken as long as seven hours to die.

Mr Beeston's step-sister Hilary Dew, now of Worthing, told the Mail yesterday: "I'm pleased to hear they have been found guilty and that they are being punished.

"Being this distance away it's difficult to add any more."

However, she did query the thoroughness of the Thai legal system, given the brief tenure of the court hearing.

Mrs Dew's father, Arnold Tipper, married Mr Beeston's mother Lilian, but they both died in a car crash in Berkshire in 1966.

The full article contains 424 words and appears in Harborough Mail newspaper.

With that I agree, Sassienie. Unfortunately, men seldom think with the proper head when it comes to pretty ladies. I see nothing wrong with setting some lovely lady up in a nice home and taking care of her, but don't fall for the marriage thing. Just think of it as a gift, or some sort of charity... because that is all it is. I'm glad that justice has finally been served in this case. It shows the Thai court system isn't all bad. It certainly isn't any worse than what we have in Canada.

all over the world, husbands murder wives, and wives murder husbands when they meet someone new, and want to take all the spoils of their marriage with them.

This is far from unique to Thailand or marriages with large age gaps.

No matter how many times you write 'no disrespect', implying the man is stupid is disrespectful.

Daewoo.

all over the world, husbands murder wives, and wives murder husbands when they meet someone new, and want to take all the spoils of their marriage with them.

This is far from unique to Thailand or marriages with large age gaps.

No matter how many times you write 'no disrespect', implying the man is stupid is disrespectful.

Daewoo.

I agree with your last sentence. Some of these posts should not have been posted; or removed by the mods. The thread is about a death and a murder convistion . Not about how we view certain farang - thai marriages

Unlike British law, where trials can takes weeks if not months, Thai justice proved swift.

Under the strange system of Thai law, after Channondon was arrested last summer he was taken back to the scene of the murder and showed onlookers how he had clubbed Mr Beeston to death with a bamboo-like cane.

A very tragic tale, I do remember a thread on this forum relating to this unfortunate fellow.

I would like to show another side to the Thai justice system that my family has been going through, involving the murder of my wifes teenage cousin. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Murder-t197146.html

I have had two long term relationships with women 20 years younger than me (in UK) - and they certainly weren't after my money. Both only failed as they wanted kids and I didn't.

Personally I dont see a problem with a guy almost 70 being in a relationship with a woman 20 years his junior. If he was 25 and the same age gap applied then I would have a problem :) .

Anyway back on topic, its good to see swift action like this and hopefully the woman and her cohorts rot in jail. At least this matter wasnt dragged out like the Dale Henry murder debarkle.

Anyway back on topic, its good to see swift action like this and hopefully the woman and her cohorts rot in jail. At least this matter wasn't dragged out like the Dale Henry murder debacle.

I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder if the Dale Henry case dragged on because of issues within the case, or if the local justice system in Rayong is more biased against farang than the Roi Et one. I guess we'll never know.

If justice was swift in this case, perhaps we can use it as a precedent?

Edited by Meridian007

If you are a guy and you marry or have a lady friend who is 20 to 30 years or more younger than you, than it`s not love, SHE ONLY WANTS YOUR MONEY.

I believe that there can be love between a 45-year-old guy and a 25-year-old girl as well as I believe that there can be no love between spouses of the same age. Of course, I am aware that many (most?) marriages have more to do with money than with feelings and the financial status (mainly of the male) is one of the most important factors (no matter in which part of the world).

So maybe it is most safe to stay single all our lives long.

Let the victim rest in peace. [']

Edited by joorakee

No disrespect to the victim (R.I.P), but when will these old fools learn?

If you are a guy and you marry or have a lady friend who is 20 to 30 years or more younger than you, than it`s not love, SHE ONLY WANTS YOUR MONEY.

This pertains in all countries not only Thailand.

I am 23 years older than my Japanese GF. She graduated from a top uni in Tokyo, has high paying job here in bangkok, comes from a family that is upper middle class and if we get married they offered to put down a deposit on a house for us. She won a beauty contest a few years back - after we met.

You see some of us older men are still goodlooking, fit and strong, as well as being wise, successful..oh yes and

humble . :)

As I recall, this was the case where the victim had told local acquaintances that he feared his wife would soon have him killed. His wife had thrown him out of the house but he refused to leave the property and was living in a shed. He was stone broke and determined not to be forced from his home. I remember reading that he had not only built a house and funded a restaurant, but also had put two of her kids through University.

When friends didn't see him for several days, they investigated and found his body: his own prediction come true.

Nice that there was a conviction in this case. I recall the one in Pattaya where a very wealthy expat was killed by some of his Thai wife's family, including a politically powerful former Kanman from Chonburi. The case dragged on for years and while the wife finally ended up doing time, the Kanman walked.

As I recall, this was the case where the victim had told local acquaintances that he feared his wife would soon have him killed. His wife had thrown him out of the house but he refused to leave the property and was living in a shed. He was stone broke and determined not to be forced from his home. I remember reading that he had not only built a house and funded a restaurant, but also had put two of her kids through University.

When friends didn't see him for several days, they investigated and found his body: his own prediction come true.

Nice that there was a conviction in this case. I recall the one in Pattaya where a very wealthy expat was killed by some of his Thai wife's family, including a politically powerful former Kanman from Chonburi. The case dragged on for years and while the wife finally ended up doing time, the Kanman walked.

I think you are right Dave. If it was the same case, the poor bloke sent a letter to his lawyer stating that he felt an attempt on his life was approaching. A material document in court.

Unless one is in a position to have known the deceased, I don't think one is in a position to categorize the deceased as an old fool. Note that the accused male was older than the woman and was hardly a spring chicken himself.

In any case, the observation that the deceased may have lingered for 7 hours before dying should be enough to silence anyone thinking he "got what was expected". Old fool or not, lying there in a pool of blood for that period of time is one lhorrible way to go. Sickening, depraved savages. I hope the murderers have a long life so that they can contemplate their crime while in prison.

THE THAI wife of a Harborough-born man has been jailed for life along with her lover after being found guilty of murdering her husband.

Ian Beeston (69), who grew up in Knights End Road, Great Bowden, was clubbed and stabbed to death in Roi-Et, north-eastern Thailand, on August 9, last year.

A murder trail started last Thursday and standing accused of Mr Beeston's murder were his 43-year-old wife Wachariewau Beeston (nee Kongmee) and her lover Songjit Channondon (49).

Statements for prosecution and defence were given last Thursday and a Roi-Et courtroom found the defendants guilty.

The hearing was adjourned until yesterday, when Mr Beeston's wife and Channondon were sentenced to life behind bars.

It is believed Mr Beeston's wife denied the murder charge and that Channondon admitted assault but denied intending to kill Mr Beeston.

A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, said yesterday: "We are aware of the sentencing of Wachariewau Kongmee and Songjit Channondon.

"Both have been found guilty at a Roi-Et courtroom and given life imprisonment for the murder of Mr Beeston.

Father-of-two Mr Beeston was described as a 'lovely chap' by neighbours in Thailand.

It is believed he moved to the country ten years ago and invested his £350,000 life savings in a guest house and restaurant.

A former pupil at Market Harborough Grammar School – now Robert Smyth – and a member of the town's air cadets, he moved away from Harborough when aged in his 20s.

His body was found in a blood-soaked room and Thai authorities said Mr Beeston may have taken as long as seven hours to die.

Mr Beeston's step-sister Hilary Dew, now of Worthing, told the Mail yesterday: "I'm pleased to hear they have been found guilty and that they are being punished.

However, she did query the thoroughness of the Thai legal system, given the brief tenure of the court hearing.

Mrs Dew's father, Arnold Tipper, married Mr Beeston's mother Lilian, but they both died in a car crash in Berkshire in 1966.

death sentence would be better, in the sama way they killed the poor fellow :):D:D

death sentence would be better, in the same way they killed the poor fellow :):D:D

I have deleted many posts and will review them for formal warnings. This post is about a man who is deceased. He is no longer alive to defend himself and the decisions he made. Therefore, you may refrain from criticizing his decisions.

The topic is about the conviction of the wife and her lover. Please stay on topic.

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the victim.

Ibelieve that there can be love between a 45-year-old guy and a 25-year-old girl as well as I believe that there can be no love between spouses of the same age. Of course, I am aware that many (most?) marriages have more to do with money than with feelings and the financial status (mainly of the male) is one of the most important factors (no matter in which part of the world).

So maybe it is most safe to stay single all our lives long.

Let the victim rest in peace. [']

Im 42 & my beautiful thai wife is 26. & yes I have helped support her and her family when needed. However, im no way described as wealthy back home, in fact i just keep my head above water which she was fully aware of before we got married. I want for nothing when im with her family & its not my pockets being used to pay for things. in fact my wife has on many occasions aided me financially when my money has run out. We both dote on each other and are best friends. i say each to their own choices.

There you have it! Another example of what marry-for-money will end up like.

Marrying bar-girls to whom you could be their father or even grandfather, always comes at a price. That fact that this is very common, is not a surprise. But the amazing thing is how surprised they get, when they realize that their beloved wife doesn't love him. As long as the oldies really understand this fact, they wouldn't get any surprises.

Marrying bar-girls to whom you could be their father or even grandfather, always comes at a price. That fact that this is very common, is not a surprise. But the amazing thing is how surprised they get, when they realize that their beloved wife doesn't love him. As long as the oldies really understand this fact, they wouldn't get any surprises.

Interesting generalization. I knew a young guy early 20's who was dating a girl in his office. Unknown to him was she was somebody's mia noi. Walked out of his apartment one night and was hit in the back of the head by a guy with a metal bar.

Died a few weeks later in hospital. Did he deserve it?

The topic is about the conviction of the wife and her lover. Please stay on topic.

I still think it is relevant to offer advice to other falang on how to avoid the same fate.

Briefly, don't paint a target on your shirt.

1) Don't buy a large amount of life insurance for yourself (as 'security' for the spouse). That's like signing your own death warrant.

2) Don't give the impression you have spent all your life's money on houses, land, vehicles, machinery, education, buffaloes, etc.

In sum, try to convince your beloved that you are worth more alive than dead....

Always observe Rule 1: "Never invest more in Thailand that you are prepared to walk away from."

And if it all goes pear-shaped, get out of town on the next stagecoach.

Edited by RickBradford

Interesting generalization. I knew a young guy early 20's who was dating a girl in his office. Unknown to him was she was somebody's mia noi. Walked out of his apartment one night and was hit in the back of the head by a guy with a metal bar.

Died a few weeks later in hospital. Did he deserve it?

Yepp! That's how it works. Even if there would be 2 females on every 1 male in town, you can be sure that there aren't any single women available. 1 Thai male could have 1-2-3 or more Mea Noi's and he wouldn't hesitate to kill that guy who dare to try to steal any of his chick's. The only reason the Mea Noi's stay with that guy, is purely for the economy. Not for the love. Who's to blame for this Mea Noi culture? The male or his flock of chicks? Both of course. So, it's purely about the money. Marrying a 20-30 year younger woman, doesn't make the love more genuine.

I have never done this before, but looking back at my previous post, I was off topic (which is not uncommon for me) and my post was rather insensitive, so I do apologize. I am glad that justice was served in this case, and my heart goes out to his family.

With that I agree, Sassienie. Unfortunately, men seldom think with the proper head when it comes to pretty ladies. I see nothing wrong with setting some lovely lady up in a nice home and taking care of her, but don't fall for the marriage thing. Just think of it as a gift, or some sort of charity... because that is all it is. I'm glad that justice has finally been served in this case. It shows the Thai court system isn't all bad. It certainly isn't any worse than what we have in Canada.

I have little confidence these individuals will spend the remainder of life behind bars in Thailand. How often have we heard/read some finalization to only see it "untied" later on. BTY what ever happened to all the other investigations we have read a/b on TV e.g. Eckomai night club fire etc.

Sorry I don't have much faith in what I hear from Thai officials/police etc.

K

I still think it is relevant to offer advice to other falang on how to avoid the same fate.

Briefly, don't paint a target on your shirt.

1) Don't buy a large amount of life insurance for yourself (as 'security' for the spouse). That's like signing your own death warrant.

2) Don't give the impression you have spent all your life's money on houses, land, vehicles, machinery, education, buffaloes, etc.

In sum, try to convince your beloved that you are worth more alive than dead....

Always observe Rule 1: "Never invest more in Thailand that you are prepared to walk away from."

And if it all goes pear-shaped, get out of town on the next stagecoach.

I agree. Your point is an excellent generalisation

But the quote you have given was presumably reiterating a point I made earlier in the thread that posters were attacking the deceased's position on a personal level. Some posters were being incredibly insensitive and should really think before they post. But the mods can't be everywhere thouigh I note they have now deleted some posts