Bank Of Ayuddah Withdrawals

explorermark

Hi all,

I've got a Nationwide Flex account debit card which I have been using at Bank of Ayuddah (yellow bank) to make ATM withdrawals for last 6 months. I went to make a withdrawal 2 days ago and found that Bank of Ayuddah now charge an interregional fee of 15 baht. They also seem to have restricted the amount that I can withdraw. Nationwide allow 15,000 baht a day withdrawals but I could not get this (but the money was there).

I know that 15 baht isn't a huge amount but its still irritating, already charged 1% for foreign withdrawals. Does anyone know if any banks are still allowing fee free withdrawals? Is the 15bht just a lower version of 50bht charged by many other Thai banks?

Thanks

Ditto - 15 baht charge in bank of Ayuddah 2 days ago. Confirmed by Nationwide (15,015 baht withdrawn)

But no charge in Airport plaza, Chiang Mai, 5 days ago. That machine was inside their branch, the other charging machine was in Tesco.

Also told to contact bank on a number of occasions, but then the card works again next day. I assume they are having problems and just put up that message.

I have withdrawn 15,000 and 16,000 baht this week so no special restrictions

Ditto - 15 baht charge in bank of Ayuddah 2 days ago. Confirmed by Nationwide (15,015 baht withdrawn)

But no charge in Airport plaza, Chiang Mai, 5 days ago. That machine was inside their branch, the other charging machine was in Tesco.

Also told to contact bank on a number of occasions, but then the card works again next day. I assume they are having problems and just put up that message.

Hi I used " the yellow bank " in Thonglor on Monday 2nd Nov . No 150 baht fee.

I have been using this bank for a while now with my visa credit card but up until today it was free no charge but today it came up with the 15 baht fee that the op said he got. Well I don't mind paying a 15 baht fee but not 150 baht so I will keep using it.

Regards

Scotsman

Hi all,

I've got a Nationwide Flex account debit card which I have been using at Bank of Ayuddah (yellow bank) to make ATM withdrawals for last 6 months. I went to make a withdrawal 2 days ago and found that Bank of Ayuddah now charge an interregional fee of 15 baht. They also seem to have restricted the amount that I can withdraw. Nationwide allow 15,000 baht a day withdrawals but I could not get this (but the money was there).

I know that 15 baht isn't a huge amount but its still irritating, already charged 1% for foreign withdrawals. Does anyone know if any banks are still allowing fee free withdrawals? Is the 15bht just a lower version of 50bht charged by many other Thai banks?

Thanks

Aeon are still currently fee free. Their ATMs however are not as widespread as others.

All the other banks (besides Ayuddah) charge 150Bt for a withdrawal using a foreign card. (not 50Bt).

Edited by thecatman

Ayudhya fees could vary with a nationwide flex card depending on card type, Visa Debit or Cirrus cash card.

Back when the 150B fee was first spreading through Thailand's ATM's the Nationwide Cirrus card avoided the 150B fee at Ayudhya ATM's and also avoided the DCC scam.

Don't know if these points still hold true but I will have a try in a Ayudhya ATM end of next week with a Cirrus flex account cash card & see what charge messages it flags me.

Catman is correct above... Basically all Thai banks are now charging a fee of 150 baht per withdrawal made using non-Thai bank ATM cards.

AEON, which is a Japan based credit card company that operates in Thailand and other Asian countries, has regular ATMs in Thailand at many locations, and all of them are fee free for now, and accept both MC and VISA logo cards.

Re Ayudhya, there are a couple of things...

--If you use a MC logo card denominated in U.S. $ or Euros, they will do something called DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) in which they (rather than the card network) set their own rather low/poor exchange rate for you.

--On the flip side, for reasons that thus far remain un-explained, it does appear that Brit holders of the Nationwide cash card (denominated in pounds) seem to not be charged the 150 baht fee at Ayudhya ATMs.... But I haven't heard of any Nationwide card holders reporting getting that same deal at any other of the Thai banks....

I have the same problem, my card does not work after being told that I am going to be charged 150 baht it then says transaction cancelled. However an hour or so later same ATM, it works so the whole thing is hit and miss these days.

There is a note at the SCB Bank site stating they are only charging 15B as of November 1.

Announcement

Effective November 1, 2009, Siam Commercial Bank will reduce

an ATM network fee for cash withdrawals or cash advances for Visa and

MasterCard credit cards issued by non-bank institutions and non-ATM

Pool members from 150 baht per transaction to 15 baht per transaction.

Siam Commercial Bank PCL

I can't post the URL here.

RMJ

Edited by RockyMtnJay

Bank of Ayuddah is one of the few banks which are still fee free for most foreign cards.

You really want to feel bad about paying 25p for withdrawing money in a foreign 3rd world country?! Only a couple of years ago ATMs all over UK were charging all customers £1.50 for using cards from other UK banks so get a bit of perspective. You should feel lucky that you can even take cash out so readily and easily because there are a lot of other places in Asia where it is a royal pain in the ass to get money from abroad.

Any UK credit card will charge you more than 2.5% for a cash advance here even though the Thai Bank will charge you nothing for the same transaction!

Edited by UKMatt

There is a note at the SCB Bank site stating they are only charging 15B as of November 1.

Announcement

Effective November 1, 2009, Siam Commercial Bank will reduce

an ATM network fee for cash withdrawals or cash advances for Visa and

MasterCard credit cards issued by non-bank institutions and non-ATM

Pool members from 150 baht per transaction to 15 baht per transaction.

Siam Commercial Bank PCL

I can't post the URL here.

RMJ

The link is here

Edited by thecatman

I posted re this in the other main thread on Thai bank ATM fees...

I called the SCB Call Centre this afternoon, posed the question to a CSR, who, after initially giving me a wrong answer and it being clear she wasn't familiar with the notice, went off to check with her manager and then call me back an hour later..

Their answer was: that notice and fee reduction supposedly has nothing to do with the use of foreign ATM or credit cards. They said the change relates to non-bank credit cards here in Thailand like those issued by AEON and Tesco-Lotus and such...