Receiving A Box Of Books - Customs Charges?

ozgirlinbkk

Hi,

I am an author and my publishers in Australia are sending me a box of my books (28 in a carton) via regular mail. Will I be hit by customs charges? Each book is worth $A30 (900 baht) but these are for my personal use, and the book is not for sale in Thailand.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am an author and my publishers in Australia are sending me a box of my books (28 in a carton) via regular mail. Will I be hit by customs charges? Each book is worth $A30 (900 baht) but these are for my personal use, and the book is not for sale in Thailand.

Thanks!

google 'ATA Carnet'

I doubt that information on ATA carnets will be of any use in the OPs predicament, particularly as a carnet applies only to temporary imports.

The answer to the OPs question is probably "no-one knows", because dealing with Thai Customs seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Hi,

Thanks!

google 'ATA Carnet'

I doubt that information on ATA carnets will be of any use in the OPs predicament, particularly as a carnet applies only to temporary imports.

The answer to the OPs question is probably "no-one knows", because dealing with Thai Customs seems to be a bit of a lottery.

No it is pretty straight forward. 0 tax on the books (as long as I know) VAT on the landed costs. There should be a valid invoice with the right customs tariff number.

Edit: Add: if express clearing everything will be cleared with the import tax of the product with the highest import tax. Means if your publisher adds a bottle of your favorite wine, than also the books will be cleared with the wine import rate.

Edited by h90

Check the Thai customs site. They have all the current rates. Books were duty free last I looked, but I've heard of folks being charged for the value of the paper. Go figure.

good luck

:):D :D Maybe because it is not thai language they couldn't recognize it as writing, so they thought it is paper with some random black dirt on every page :D :D :D

Since you say your books are coming via regular postal service I will have to tell you that over the years I have sent myself hundreds of pounds of books via the no longer available "surface M bag" and never paid a single baht in customs duty.

Since you say your books are coming via regular postal service I will have to tell you that over the years I have sent myself hundreds of pounds of books via the no longer available "surface M bag" and never paid a single baht in customs duty.

I got only 2-3 book packages from my mother per regular postal shipping (from Austria). Declared as Documents: Never any customs duty.