Ttt Maxnet Manipulating Bittorrent Traffic

JR Texas

UPnP is only good if your P2P client supports it. I prefer to use traditional port forwarding instead of random port mapping -- which is what UPnP does.

What torrent client are you using? If you haven't used uTorrent before, give it a try.

The speed guide included with most torrent programs is sufficient. The majority of new bit torrent users adopt this method being that it's quick and easy. Configuring your torrent client manually does have its rewards, but it can be frustrating experience. Unless you're willing take the time to experiment, stick with the speed guide.

First of all, I am by far no expert on bittorrent connection settings, the only optimization I did with my setup is to increase the 'global maximum number of connections' and 'maximum numbers of peers per torrent'. This setup worked for me without a lot of finetuning. Since in Thailand international bandwith is shared between users, but no bandwith management per user is installed, you can get around slow connections by increasing the number of connections. Of course this has limits and if you go too crazy some routers can't handle it and cause troubles.

Just recently I had issues with my setup when I came back from a longer trip, the port forwarding would not work. I also suspected my provider(TOT) might have blocked my port, tried a view ports and finally went with uPnp which worked for me. During that troubleshooting I also enabled the 'Randomize port on each start' feature. When it finally worked again I could not tell what had caused the problem (port, router, uTorrent, firewall) and I didn't bother to find out.

I had also read that a static port forwarding is preferable to uPnp, but I am not sure whether due to security concerns (probably), or performance. I just remember that I had a router once that had a bug in its uPnp implementation and would freeze or lock up after some time.

I also wonder on which port uTorrent actually initiates the upload. It definitely opens connections on other ports, too. So the connections initiated by uTorrent are for download from other users, and other users initiate connections to the one forwarded port on our local machine (= upload)?

Can anybody shed some light on this? supernova?

About the speed guide. I am not sure the speed guide gives good results in Thailands broadband landscape. The local ADSL speed is just too different from the actual international bandwith.

But I understand too little about the bittorrent protocol to be able to give profound advise.

welo

First of all, I am by far no expert on bittorrent connection settings, the only optimization I did with my setup is to increase the 'global maximum number of connections' and 'maximum numbers of peers per torrent'. This setup worked for me without a lot of finetuning. Since in Thailand international bandwith is shared between users, but no bandwith management per user is installed, you can get around slow connections by increasing the number of connections. Of course this has limits and if you go too crazy some routers can't handle it and cause troubles.

Be careful when setting the 'global maximum number of connections'. Most home bound routers will choke at anything above 200 concurrent connections. For most users, 150 is good enough.

I also wonder on which port uTorrent actually initiates the upload. It definitely opens connections on other ports, too. So the connections initiated by uTorrent are for download from other users, and other users initiate connections to the one forwarded port on our local machine (= upload)?

Use Show Traffic to monitor network traffic (requires WinPcap -- download and install this first).

Be careful when setting the 'global maximum number of connections'. Most home bound routers will choke at anything above 200 concurrent connections. For most users, 150 is good enough.

Use Show Traffic to monitor network traffic (requires WinPcap -- download and install this first).

It might be worth stating that my ISP told me, today, that it was having major problems in my province and that is why connections are so slow......even non-existent in some cases. So some of the problems I have been discussing are related to problems my ISP is having, not my computer/configuration.

The data on speed, then, are likely not reliable. I did discover that the international speed was much higher than the local-Thailand speed (did two separate tests).

I am going to switch to uTorrent soon, from Bittorrent. That might help...............

Now I am totally unable to even use Internet Explorer......cannot even access my router to change some configurations.

THAILAND!