Wireless Access Point With Ais 3g Internet

ChiangMaiFun

This may sound dumb (no affirmations please!) but I have the 3G Internet Dongle and service.

I have now purchased a printer which is 'wireless' but cannot get the darn thing to work as it cannot find a 'wireless access point' - any ideas? is it possible with AIS 3G? is it a stupid question? is the Moon made of cheese?

Anyway any help from more techie Chiang Mai'ers is appreciated

The problem you have is getting your laptop or computer setup to talk wirelessly with your printer. It has nothing to do with the 3g internet.

Have a look at your printers manual and see if there is a section under Ad Hoc wireless setup, if you havn't got a router/access point.

The problem you have is getting your laptop or computer setup to talk wirelessly with your printer. It has nothing to do with the 3g internet.

Have a look at your printers manual and see if there is a section under Ad Hoc wireless setup, if you havn't got a router/access point.

Hi - it will not allow 'ad hoc' wireless set-up and just refers me to my 'providers manual' - I have tried both my laptops with no success! I mentioned 3G as it keeps mentioning a 'router' but, of course, 3G doesn't have a router... it keep asking me to 'name' my access point - I can find nothing to indicate what or where that is - any other ideas? cheers

Or get a wifi router where you can plug in your 3G dongle. Then you have wifi access point for the printer and also can share the internet connection and use both laptops to connect easily.

Whats the make and model or the printer? Can you provide a link to the documentation online?

The next thing you can think about is weather you really need the printer to be wireless, can you just use USB and save yourself the headache?

Yes I think thismay be the way to go... just use the dam_n cable - it works perfectly!!! did a Google - tons of people have the same problem

Or get a wifi router where you can plug in your 3G dongle. Then you have wifi access point for the printer and also can share the internet connection and use both laptops to connect easily.

This cant be done with the 3G service - the laptop needs the dongel attached - its a satellite service - unless you can show diffently?

There is quite alot of expertise in the computer forum, let me or a mod on duty know if you find you want your thread moved there.

Hi - yes please move - i only put it here in relation to the 3G service which is Chiang Mai centric - cheers

Whats the make and model or the printer? Can you provide a link to the documentation online?

The next thing you can think about is weather you really need the printer to be wireless, can you just use USB and save yourself the headache?

Canon Pixma MP648 - sorry can't find the link online

As mentioned, 3G is not WiFi. You can get a USB WiFi dongle cheaply and set it up as an Ad-hoc access point that the printer can find.

3G not wifi sure is if you use the 3G router then you have wifi connect but not the dongle :)

This cant be done with the 3G service - the laptop needs the dongel attached - its a satellite service - unless you can show diffently?

Yes it can be done fairly easy, all you need to do is to purchase router that supports internet connection with 3G USB Dongle. Say Huawei D100 or similar.

The router kinda uses the 3G Dongle as "incoming line" instead of fixed line. These been available for awhile and good solution for everyone who is using wireless connection as their main connection in the house...

huaweid100router.jpg

Yes it can be done fairly easy, all you need to do is to purchase router that supports internet connection with 3G USB Dongle. Say Huawei D100 or similar.

The router kinda uses the 3G Dongle as "incoming line" instead of fixed line. These been available for awhile and good solution for everyone who is using wireless connection as their main connection in the house...

This is great info! but I don't have a telephone line? is it reliant upon same?

huaweid100router.jpg

You don't need telephone line.

The connection to internet is via your 3G wireless dongle.

The router shares this connection via WIFI so that you can connect your laptops, desktops etc to internet sharing the one 3G connection you have.

As the router shares via WIFI it operates as "wireless access point" which you need to connect to your printer without cables.

You don't need telephone line.

The connection to internet is via your 3G wireless dongle.

The router shares this connection via WIFI so that you can connect your laptops, desktops etc to internet sharing the one 3G connection you have.

As the router shares via WIFI it operates as "wireless access point" which you need to connect to your printer without cables.

Excellent! excellent! and err... excellent! - off to Pantip Plaza now - thanks very much

The Huawei one was just for sample. There is lot of brand and different size of routers available in the market. When buying one just make sure it works with the specific dongle you have.

For CAT CDMA users there is also routers that support CDMA EVDO...

The Huawei one was just for sample. There is lot of brand and different size of routers available in the market. When buying one just make sure it works with the specific dongle you have.

For CAT CDMA users there is also routers that support CDMA EVDO...

Hi - just arrived back from our local computer techie store - they had no clue. Do you put the dongle in the laptop or the router? I have a Cisco router already. They say they had no routers that would take a AIS 3G dongle... I tried many shops - drew blanks everywhere!

Routers that support 3G or CAT dongles are hard to find and expensive (12-15K Baht)

A better bet is if your PC does not have a wireless capability is to buy a wifi modem and tHen set up your PC for (internet connection sharing (ICS) which is easy done in XP, Vista or Win 7 and then set the PC up as an ad hoc device Your printer wull see that as a normal rounter and connect. Your printer does not need to have any ad-hoc wirless settings

Routers that support 3G or CAT dongles are hard to find and expensive (12-15K Baht)

A better bet is if your PC does not have a wireless capability is to buy a wifi modem and tHen set up your PC for (internet connection sharing (ICS) which is easy done in XP, Vista or Win 7 and then set the PC up as an ad hoc device Your printer wull see that as a normal rounter and connect. Your printer does not need to have any ad-hoc wirless settings

Hi - thanks... my laptops DO have wireless capability - the printer keeps asking for a valid access point. I have tried both laptops - but of course the 3G service is not wireless so hence the problem? I have a Cisco (linsky) box from when I used ADSL in my last condo -can I utilise that?

I'll try and find out how to set up laptop for ICS - cheers - I had thought that it would be easy and the two would talk to each other - isn't that what wireless is all about? I didn't think I'd have a problem since the laptops have wireless and the printer is wireless - why do they make it so difficult? I assumed it was plug and go

Hi

sorry, Having had a few beers I did not read your earlier posts carefully, and missed the part about using a laptop

Setting up ICS is easy. In the Modem configuration, click the box that says "share this connection with others" and then select your wireless as the interface to do the sharing. There are many pages of detailed instructions if you google on your OS and ICS

Sorry, The beer is now fading and yes you will then need a standard easy to obtain standard wireless router so that the printer will see the shared wireless, UNLESS you are using Windows 7 in which case there is a free add-on to allow your PC to act as a fully fledged wireless access point.

Sorry for the misleading info earlier, :D

edit

I'm not THAT sorry :)

Edited by thaimite

Hi

sorry, Having had a few beers I did not read your earlier posts carefully, and missed the part about using a laptop

Setting up ICS is easy. In the Modem configuration, click the box that says "share this connection with others" and then select your wireless as the interface to do the sharing. There are many pages of detailed instructions if you google on your OS and ICS

Sorry, The beer is now fading and yes you will then need a standard easy to obtain standard wireless router so that the printer will see the shared wireless, UNLESS you are using Windows 7 in which case there is a free add-on to allow your PC to act as a fully fledged wireless access point.

Sorry for the misleading info earlier, :D

edit

I'm not THAT sorry :)

hehe 'sorry is as sorry does' anyway - without sounding (hoping!) completely dim (a wasted effortI know...) I tried to alter 'modem settings' to no avail... I'm using Vista (unfortunately) on one laptop and XPon the other - getting no where fast!!!

hic, hic... even after 3 Beer Chang things have not improved! (so will try Black Label next)