Hun Sen: Thaksin Will Visit Phnom Penh On Thursday

webfact

Thaksin and PTP have made a terrible mistake. This is going to cost them a majority in the next election. Perhaps they don't yet realize it yet, but its there for all too see.

Give Thaksin enough rope, and he will hang himself. (Which he has done here).

No, it is irrelevant in the next election. In Thailand, democracy is about "who pays me more", regardless of who hurts my country or cheats me more.

Even if Thaksin advised Hun Sen to invade Thailand tomorrow, his PTP party would still get majority anyway. It's all about MONEY.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the same Hun Sen who tried for years, in every way possible to squelsh the legal proceedings on his Khmer Rouge buddies. Nearly succeeded.

It is, but don't forget, it is already difficult to prosecute Khmer Rouge cadres when they have the backing of the US as the official Government representatives of Cambodia at the United Nations and while their leader Pol Pot aka Saloth Sar enjoys protection from Thai Special Forces units at his safe haven on Thai soil in Trat province.

I thought Pol Pot died in protective custody in 1998 and that there were rumours he was poisoned?

Or you are using present tense when you actually mean something that occurred in the past?

Sorry, reading this, you would seem to be suggesting things that occurred in 1975 and then again in the early 80s are somehow in play today...or is this just me?

Reading the history of Cambodia is like reading the worst side of humanity in some regards; puppet masters from afar plus local thugs and dangerous people manipulating and playing with the lives to the point that the country is a complete mess nowadays, in virtually every respect.

Thaksin and PTP have made a terrible mistake. This is going to cost them a majority in the next election. Perhaps they don't yet realize it yet, but its there for all too see.

No, it is irrelevant in the next election. In Thailand, democracy is about "who pays me more", regardless of who hurts my country or cheats me more.

Even if Thaksin advised Hun Sen to invade Thailand tomorrow, his PTP party would still get majority anyway. It's all about MONEY.

as they could not secure a majority in the last election using PPP, why do you think they would do so this time round?

as they could not secure a majority in the last election using PPP, why do you think they would do so this time round?

You have a good point but PTP/PPP/or whatever name he uses does not necessarily overwhelming majority. Banharn and Nevin factions remain to be the variants. Whereas PAD's New Party and the Democrats may cannibalize each other's supporters.

I've just been back from Buriram, Nevin's stronghold. Pictures and cutouts of Thaksin and nice slogans hailing Thaksin and PTP were all over the place. Thaksin still has unmatched amount of money to spend. And most Thais only care about "touchable" offerring - MONEY even it is offerred by the man who has cheated them. I am not saying they are bad. They are very nice people but their way of thinking (they don't know that it's not right take the money), how they are exposed to info and, lastly, who guide/order them to elect who.

Edited by Rideau

Is this the same Hun Sen who tried for years, in every way possible to squelsh the legal proceedings on his Khmer Rouge buddies. Nearly succeeded.

It is, but don't forget, it is already difficult to prosecute Khmer Rouge cadres when they have the backing of the US as the official Government representatives of Cambodia at the United Nations and while their leader Pol Pot aka Saloth Sar enjoys protection from Thai Special Forces units at his safe haven on Thai soil in Trat province.

I thought Pol Pot died in protective custody in 1998 and that there were rumours he was poisoned?

Or you are using present tense when you actually mean something that occurred in the past?

Sorry, reading this, you would seem to be suggesting things that occurred in 1975 and then again in the early 80s are somehow in play today...or is this just me?

Reading the history of Cambodia is like reading the worst side of humanity in some regards; puppet masters from afar plus local thugs and dangerous people manipulating and playing with the lives to the point that the country is a complete mess nowadays, in virtually every respect.

Chavalit was an important player in some of that then as he is trying to be again now. Ditto Hun Sen. The use of tense is confusing

All or nothing!

Is the name of his game!

As I wrote before, he won't stop at nothing, unless he is stopped!

Let's wait and see what is happening on Thursday as the the documents for his extradition request

are ready!

Enjoy the show!

It seems many members here are having a jovial time for sarcasm over TS visit to Cambodia. I'm having less good time trying to get on with my works, and to sort things out why our government is so jumpy in this matter. :)

My sincere congratulations !

It seems many members here are having a jovial time for sarcasm over TS visit to Cambodia. I'm having less good time trying to get on with my works, and to sort things out why our government is so jumpy in this matter. :)

My sincere congratulations !

I say revoke Thaksie's citizenship, for wanton treason and being a fugitive.

not the majority and it will be more expensive. But on the other hand in one year everyone forgot that again

Thailand may consider tougher action against Thaksin

BANGKOK, Nov 9 (TNA) - Thailand will consider tougher measures against ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra if he uses Cambodia as a base to create turbulence in Thailand, Thai Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said on Monday.

Mr Thaksin's planned visit to Phnom Penh is not unexpected following his appointment by Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen as an economic adviser, said Mr Suthep who is in charge of security affairs.

Thailand will officially contact Cambodia, reiterating that Thaksin is convicted, who escaped a two-year jail term for malfeasance.

Thailand's Supreme Court Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions sentenced Mr Thaksin to a two-year prison term in absentia after finding him guilty of a conflict of interest in the Ratchadaphisek land purchase scandal in 2003. The ex-premier jumped bail and fled the sentence.

Mr Suthep said Thailand and Cambodia have an extradition treaty, so Thailand will ask Cambodia to extradite him to serve punishment here.

"How Cambodia will consider it and what will be the Cambodian response, we must wait and see. We can't send officials to arrest him in Cambodia because there are legal processes to comply with international law," Mr Suthep said.

The Royal Thai Police and the Office of the Attorney-General must submit a letter through channels required by international law.

A diplomatic response will be proposed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the prime minister. It is a proper application of diplomatic protocol when there is misunderstanding between the two countries.

The security agencies have assessed and monitored the situation. The current diplomatic row matters between the two governments, but good relations between people of the two countries and among the military units along the border must be maintained to prevent escalation of the problem into a clash, he said, adding that the incident was a simply a political and diplomatic spat.

Meanwhile, Army chief Gen Anupong Paochinda said the Thai army has closely monitored the situation and held talks with Cambodia's regional military commanders. Cambodia has not reinforced its troops on the border.

Asked whether Mr Thaksin will meet his supporters at Rong Kluea border market in Aranyaprathet on November 13, Gen Anupong said he must wait and see the situation.

The government may increase the level of response against Mr Thaksin if he uses the neighbouring country as a political base to cause turbulence in Thailand. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Posts have been deleted. Please use the correct names of former and current politicians, whether you like them or not. Otherwise, your post can be found in the cyber-garbage bin where ever that is.

I think it already has judging by the comments on the article (I mean the ones which are obviously from Thais rather than foreigners).As usual judging by the venom and intellectual incoherence, these look mainly to have been orchestrated by the ASTV machine.(I doubt whether The Times is regular reading material for lower middle class Bangkok Sino-Thais).The thought did occur to me since Thaksin has really misjudged this situation (he's a lousy politician), a penetrating series of comments from a Thai readership could be devastating.However it never happens and as usual in this type of situation in the international press, one just sees a suspiciously large number of moronic comments characterised by fanaticism and hatred.All this is actually counter productive.One need some silky assassin type skills to skewer Thaksin.

Edited by Lite Beer

Further references to articles that we cannot print will be deleted. Let's stay on topic. It's very unfair for people to discuss something that others have no knowledge of.

We have a current topic and that is the one that is to be discussed.

Posts referencing material not allowed have been deleted. Let's please not make this a situation where warnings have to issued.

What's T going to teach the 300 Cambodian economic experts? Suggested topics:

>>> How to Hoodwink an Entire Nation in to Thinking You're Helping Them, While You're Actually Only Amassing Personal Riches

>>> How to Use the PM's Office to Gain a Monopoly in the Telecommunications Business

>>> How to Use Taxpayer-Financed Overseas Trips to Market Your Personal Business Interests

>>> How to Sneak Cash & Valuables Out of Your Country in 33 Oversized Suitcases

>>> How to Use Your Chauffeur to Hide Assets

>>> How to Hoodwink Leaders of Small Countries in to Thinking You're a Big Shot Investor, Without Actually Investing In Their Country

--- how to disregard the law completely.

--- how to loan other countries money on condition they then purchase products from your own personal companies.

--- how to do away with monks, activists and anyone else who disagrees with you.

--- how to sell out your counrty for personal gain

(they're already quite good at these, birds of a fether an all that......)

Does Thaksin ever think before speaking? I read parts of that as well, and he has lost the plot. I agree with another poster about losing his citizenship; he has shown his true colors and has nothing but contempt for Thailand, the highest institution and it's people.

Is this latest outburst part of some scheming plan of his to return to power on a fresh wave of hate support?

Or has gone absolutely bonkers?

I wonder if there is any genius masterplan, we just can't see now or if he took a nose full of the white powder before he gave that interview.

Is this latest outburst part of some scheming plan of his to return to power on a fresh wave of hate support?

I wonder if there is any genius masterplan, we just can't see now or if he took a nose full of the white powder before he gave that interview.

maybe he is having one last gasp attempt and then will change his colours; as per the 'revolution and I'll come back and lead (April 2009); I'm quiting politics (Feb 2006); I had no idea we were selling Shin, it was my kid's idea (Jan 2006); etc etc.

The so called economic miracle was like 2 years of good times; if you look at GDP growth basically 2002-3 were good; the rest of the time he was in power was pretty average; I cannot recall anything positive he did since after he was cleared of giving the false asset declaration. Twits in power, no policy, deisel subsidies and the substandard airport rush job plus various cons to skim like the mass transport fiasco, film festival, trying to barter everything and trying to sell off state assets to himself like EGAT...did I miss anything?

Only reason we even got 2 good years was the baht was so low so we got good exports; lots of government spending; tax breaks for all his pals and people made some cash on the stockmarket.

Phrased like that, I might have to stop referring to my mate as the best PM ever. Maybe I should call Chavalit the best; not many Thai PMs have been able to set off the contagion and get an economic crisis named after the country's national dish of Tom Yum Goong. Not many leaders in ASEAN managed to do it; we don't see a Curry Laksa crisis do we?!

Maybe Thaksin will be able to set off the Samlar Machu crisis when he manages to repeat the similar feats of his pal Chavalit....only then will he be able to compete and win in Asia's Biggest Loser...coming to you on HBO.

maybe he is having one last gasp attempt and then will change his colours; as per the 'revolution and I'll come back and lead (April 2009); I'm quiting politics (Feb 2006); I had no idea we were selling Shin, it was my kid's idea (Jan 2006); etc etc.

The so called economic miracle was like 2 years of good times; if you look at GDP growth basically 2002-3 were good; the rest of the time he was in power was pretty average; I cannot recall anything positive he did since after he was cleared of giving the false asset declaration. Twits in power, no policy, deisel subsidies and the substandard airport rush job plus various cons to skim like the mass transport fiasco, film festival, trying to barter everything and trying to sell off state assets to himself like EGAT...did I miss anything?

Only reason we even got 2 good years was the baht was so low so we got good exports; lots of government spending; tax breaks for all his pals and people made some cash on the stockmarket.

Phrased like that, I might have to stop referring to my mate as the best PM ever. Maybe I should call Chavalit the best; not many Thai PMs have been able to set off the contagion and get an economic crisis named after the country's national dish of Tom Yum Goong. Not many leaders in ASEAN managed to do it; we don't see a Curry Laksa crisis do we?!

Maybe Thaksin will be able to set off the Samlar Machu crisis when he manages to repeat the similar feats of his pal Chavalit....only then will he be able to compete and win in Asia's Biggest Loser...coming to you on HBO.

But his personal economic grew well.

Someone I know got a copy of Thaksin's speech for Thursday. It starts off like this:

"After failing at every business I tried to establish, I finally found the secret of economic success. Marry the national police chief's daughter, establish a telecom monopoly through ministry connections and hold on to it until everyone wises up. Then get out of Dodge as fast as you can."

Aside from being mad, Thaksin is a walking, talking, breathing conflict of interest. The court nailed him right on. Two years up the river is a generous sentence.

Now Thaksin has a puppet in Hun Sen who's telling the Thai PM to dissolve the parliament to hold new elections. Hun Sen already has said Thai courts aren't any better than his own.

These people are stark raving mad. (Remember Sir Anthony Eden who started the disastrous 1956 Suez Crisis then had to take holiday in the Carribbean? Stark raving mad was how the British General Staff described Eden at the time.)

Someone I know got a copy of Thaksin's speech for Thursday. It starts off like this:

"After failing at every business I tried to establish, I finally found the secret of economic success. Marry the national police chief's daughter, establish a telecom monopoly through ministry connections and hold on to it until everyone wises up. Then get out of Dodge as fast as you can."

Notably, anything about ethics left out of the equation.