Struggling With Voip

Childstar1979

Hi there,

After my previous post a couple of months back regarding VOIP in Thailand, I am yet to secure a provider that is suitable for mobile/landline calls to Australia. I have tried:

* Freecall which resulted in an extremely poor connection even with 7/8 megabytes internet speed.

* Skype which is great however, I can only top up 10 EURO's credit each time on my account which lasts around 5 calls, plus I have to use Western Union which charge extortionate amounts to perform a credit transfer.

* Several Thai VOIP companies (SiamConnect, AsiaTel, BahtCall and more) which result in poor language barrier and non-understanding of the set-up and service etc, and this is without even testing their connection to Australia.

* Hitari had huge delay/echoes during call duration.

I am eager to try some different ideas and wondered if there was anyone out there that can recommend a VOIP with proven history to deliver a good service, or any other advice to point me in the right direction to get myself finally set up.

I look forward to the responses.

CS

Try VOIPCheap.com

I use them to many countries UK, HK Singapoer etc and usually very good either PC to phone or their Phone to phone service where they call your mobile and connect that to the other call for a small additional charge.

I get the occasional duff connection but oin redialing it is normaly OK

Skype with a country subscription.

I think i paid 35 euros for 1 years unlimited calls to Thailand. Doing that to Australia would solve your payment needs.

They accept moneybookers too, which may help with the WE payment problems you are facing.

I have been down the same route as you albeit looking for cheap / free calls to the UK with a lowcall / freecall number provided for inbound calls.

I tried Voipcheap (great low cost calls, but no inbound number), but found that the service was sometimes iffy, and if your credit does have an expiration date on it...

A major issue for me what that you have to use thier software, which is a major pain if, like me, you have a mobile phone with WiFI and the ability to subscribe to a SIP (VOIP) service on that (Nokia N95, N97 etc etc)

There are loads out there, but you really need to look at their individual pros and cons..

Basically, I have gone back to Skpe, but I have to admit I haven't encountered the same issues as you with having to pay via WU as I have Thai CC which is linked to Paypal, this makes payment VERY easy each month...

I just started using Magic jack. You plug in a regular phone that plugs into the usb port. It is $20 u.s. for the year. You also get a phone number with it. So far it seems to work great.

Yes but you only get cheap calls top the other person who has another magic jack..completly pointless

You don't have to use a Thai Voip provider, www.mynetfone.com.au charge 10 cents AU untimed for landline and 20 cents per minute for mobile calls in Australia.

Hi Garyh,

I tried to set up mynetfone but when speaking with them they said they do not service people outside of Australia. Very strange. I'll give them another whirl and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the responses.

During my searches this week, i've stumbled across a company called VOIZ who are based in both Thailand and Hong Kong. Their call charges are very competitive and set up seems fairly straight forward......they are sending a technician to my home to install the IP phone etc. The added bonus is they have English (very clear) speaking staff so no issues with language barrier.

I must admit, it all sounds too good to be true but looking forward to testing them out. I'll report back here when I've sampled their connection to Australian phones.

Fingers crossed it works out!