Fuel Prices

Mosha

I have just driven down from BKK to Ranong. One thing that stood out is the price of Shell diesel. At least 1 Baht more expensive than other companies. Why?

dam_n why can't I edit the title :)

Edited by Mosha

As I hear, Shell diesel seems to be Euro3, while most other diesel is Euro2, or worse.

Don't really know if it might be true, but I do know that all pumps in the Khon Kaen area are supplied from the central storage facility on Mithraparp Road, Shell is supplied by tankers with plates from Bangkok and Rayong.

So maybe it is true, who knows?

Anyway, my 9-year old Nissan Frontier (just rebuilt) seems to be more happy on Shell.

So Shell it is for me, although I feel rather funny about supporting Shell/Royal Oil.

Conspiracy speculation, shell shocked, consider that Shell does not cheat when they say a liter, you get 1000 cc of diesel. Hearsay, not the case at numerous other diesel / gas stations throughout asia where pumps meters are doctored to give less in the range of .89 - .99 liter of fuel.

As I hear, Shell diesel seems to be Euro3, while most other diesel is Euro2, or worse.

All PTT diesel is EuroIII spec.

Anyway, my 9-year old Nissan Frontier (just rebuilt) seems to be more happy on Shell.

So Shell it is for me, although I feel rather funny about supporting Shell/Royal Oil.

Shell V-Power Diesel is more expensive because of additional additives blended into the fuel in an attempt to keep the fuel delivery system cleaner for longer.

Shell V-Power Diesel, with its unique formulation, is designed to remove and prevent such deposits - enabling diesel engines to continuously deliver an improved driving experience.

And furthermore, because Shell is selling their V-Power product at a premium price, many Shell stations do not stock it anymore because their local markets are unwilling to pay the premium.

Hearsay, not the case at numerous other diesel / gas stations throughout asia where pumps meters are doctored to give less in the range of .89 - .99 liter of fuel.

As a generalisation - completely in-correct.

All service stations are tested regurarly & at random by the Thai Government weights & measures department, with substancial fines for those who have under filling pumps.

The actual recalibration of the pump would require someone with technician knowledge from the pump company, and the government seals would have to be broken.

All PTT diesel is EuroIII spec.

Shell V-Power Diesel is more expensive because of additional additives blended into the fuel in an attempt to keep the fuel delivery system cleaner for longer.

Shell V-Power Diesel, with its unique formulation, is designed to remove and prevent such deposits - enabling diesel engines to continuously deliver an improved driving experience.

And furthermore, because Shell is selling their V-Power product at a premium price, many Shell stations do not stock it anymore because their local markets are unwilling to pay the premium.

Ptt and shell both charge 27,05 baht/litres in Hua Hin for B5 which is 95% Euro 3 diesel and 5% plantoil.

Shell also provides a Euro 4 diesel called V-power. Most modern euro cars require this fuel to perform perfect. It was 29,xx baht yesterday in Hua Hin

Hearsay, not the case at numerous other diesel / gas stations throughout asia where pumps meters are doctored to give less in the range of .89 - .99 liter of fuel.

As a generalisation - completely in-correct.

All service stations are tested regurarly & at random by the Thai Government weights & measures department, with substancial fines for those who have under filling pumps.

The actual recalibration of the pump would require someone with technician knowledge from the pump company, and the government seals would have to be broken.

Years back made some approx jug calculations at mom and pop stations within surathani province filling up misc containers for many motorcycle trips, just smiled at slight inaccuracy, did not want to squabble over a few baht. Perhaps miscalculated or dribbled some fluid too?

Weight measures dept would never share the baht in two-timing calibrations? TIT.

Anyway, diesel, petro distribution corruption is way too dangerous a thing to dip into. End of this discussion, I’ll stay out of it. :)