Can A Thai National Take A Motorbike Into Laos?

I have several question regarding a Thai going to Laos. I know what my requirements are but I have no idea what is required of my wife who is Thai.

Can we take our Thailand registered motorbike? She has a current passport, does she need to get any kind of visa prior to entry, or can she get a visa on entry?

What does it cost? I know these are strange questions for an expat forum, but I don't know where else to go for the information as I'm in Japan at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Cowman.

Thai are "visa free" for Laos, assuming she has a passport. Not a problem at al.

Re the motorcycle, you'll probably need a "vehicle passport" which is obtainable from the Land Transport Department in Thailand. Check with the province where the motorcycle is registered.

Also take a gander a the "Motor" forum here on ThaiVisa.com/forum, lower down on the main page.

Mac

As far as I know, if the motorbike is NO property, you need a piece of paper (available at the border) on which the owner states that the user can bring the motorcycle abroad.

In Laos you need to buy insurance. And do not forget, in Thailand the farang is sometimes to blame, but in Laos.....

Better take care for an international liability policy. And bail-money insured or cash.

No visa for a Thai National. It is very easy for them to get in, and free. I am not sure about motorbikes but cars can be taken in but I do not know the procedure.

I undestand you can no longer take any bike across the Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai, I did 3 times in 2004, but it was stopped shortly after, because of stolen bikes being taken in, and sold there, the authorities stopped it, if you have a bike, registered in another country, you may still be able to cross there. But there are other borders that allow Thai plated bikes to cross, check out GT-rider.com there's truckloads of info there about which borders will still let you.