Sony Products In Thailand And Warranty

sunnymarky

I bought a sony MP3 playerat the Sony shop in United centre Silom some 3 months ago. Today I returned it because the earphones were not working. I was told the earphones were not part of the warranty so they would not replace, however I was told IF I purchased a new pair of phones (600-700Bht) they would have a 6 month warranty. Can you believe the shit in this country? Sony should be ashamed of their organization to allow this practice or even promote it. I will never purchase any Sony product ever again . I have emailed some part of Sony Asia to tell them of my dissatifaction but not expecting any joy.

Hi

I don't see how any electronics company would guarantee a pair of walkman headphones. They are quite a delicate item and although you may have taken good care of yours, who would know if the next guy has subjected his pair to something which amounts to unusual wear-and tear - such as stretching the cord to the point where the wires snap within the plug (or something similar)

If you have your guarantee slip, I am sure one of the service centers would help you; but to be honest if it were me, I wouldn't get into a knot about it. It's just a few bob to buy something similar.

Hi

I don't see how any electronics company would guarantee a pair of walkman headphones. They are quite a delicate item and although you may have taken good care of yours, who would know if the next guy has subjected his pair to something which amounts to unusual wear-and tear - such as stretching the cord to the point where the wires snap within the plug (or something similar)

If you have your guarantee slip, I am sure one of the service centers would help you; but to be honest if it were me, I wouldn't get into a knot about it. It's just a few bob to buy something similar.

sort of reply I expect from those who dont comprehend. "3 months use and IF I was to purchase new headphones in same shop they would get 6 MONTHS warranty, What did I pay 3500baht for in first place?

I have discovered that consumer rights with reagrd to buying most products in Thailand(even branded items) is pathetic, I expect it from a street market but from an international brand? :)

Edited by sunnymarky

Hi

sort of reply I expect from those who dont comprehend. "3 months use and IF I was to purchase new headphones in same shop they would get 6 MONTHS warranty, What did I pay 3500baht for in first place?

I have discovered that consumer rights with reagrd to buying most products in Thailand(even branded items) is pathetic, I expect it from a street market but from an international brand? :)

I am very glad that you learned that consumer rights are not something automatic. Same goes for minimum salary, safety at work and all these things we see as automatic. You have maybe also learned that big companies like Sony only care about consumer rights in countries where they are forced to do so.

One of the first weeks I stayed with my Thai wife, we bought an electric water kettle at bigC. First time I switched it on, it make a small "plop" and it was gone. I asked my wife for the sales ticket, so we could bring it back. Her reaction:"Why do you want to make problem?"

Hi

I am very glad that you learned that consumer rights are not something automatic. Same goes for minimum salary, safety at work and all these things we see as automatic. You have maybe also learned that big companies like Sony only care about consumer rights in countries where they are forced to do so.

One of the first weeks I stayed with my Thai wife, we bought an electric water kettle at bigC. First time I switched it on, it make a small "plop" and it was gone. I asked my wife for the sales ticket, so we could bring it back. Her reaction:"Why do you want to make problem?"

Funny you say that , I went to BIG C rajadamri , saw some nice earphones 500 bht , good brand, I asked one of the hundreds of staff who roam around, what warranty and was told 7 days, are you sure I said "Big C all 7 days, everything" he replied. I chuckled and moved on. You are right, Big businesses in Thailand can get away with selling lots of faulty poor quality junk unless Governemnt pass consumer rights legislation.

Government in Thailand , hahah ,,more concerned with petty party politics than getting anything done for its citizens, problem is Thai people just accept it all, just like your wife.

Hi

Just a couple of notes about Sony. I brought over my big Sony tuner/amp that had issues - it would shut down from 'overload' at virtually any volume. Took it to Sony in NZ four times, they never charged me, but they never figured it out. Brought it to Sony in Udon Thani, they said oh yes, it's these two circuit boards, come back in one week. 1,700 baht, done, saved a $2,000 unit. But I bought a pricey set of Sony noise-canceling earphones, and got it caught in a door, broke the wires inside both plugs. Took it to Sony, no, can't fix, buy a new one down the street. Nope, took it back to my little village in Issan, where the local shade-tree electrician fixed them, 100 baht. Fixed them inside the earphones, soldered the wires together. Sometime Sony is good, other times their pathetic - just like all the major brands here.