Chronicle Of Thailand Speaks For Thai Modern History

sabaijai

‘Chronicle of Thailand’ speaks for Thai modern history

BANGKOK, 9 November 2009 (NNT) – A complete encyclopedia on Thai contemporary history and major news headlines in the past 60 years makes its first public appearance today.

Former Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Visanu Krue-ngam, in his capacity as chief advisor to the editorial staff, said at a press conference that the ‘Chronicle of Thailand’ is the first English-language book that features key headline stories in Thailand since 1946. With more than 2,300 stories and articles the book covers a wide range of topics from politics, sport, culture, to music, with more than 1,800 illustrations, including rare photographs.

Hot issues like the Preah Vihear dispute and the 14 October uprising are also featured with backgrounds provided. The content is easy to understand especially for foreigners who will be able to get a full grasp of the Thai modern history during the past 60 years.

The Chronicle of Thailand, claimed to be the first complete encyclopedia on the modern Thai history, was jointly published by the Bangkok Post and Editions Didier Millet and will be officially on sale on 18 November at 1,450 baht each.

Actually it is mainly produced by an independent publisher, using archives from Post and other sources. They already produced one on Malaysia in the same format, lots of stories about politics, development of the country. Quite useful and interesting.

overseas costs?

id like a copy.... i cant afford to buy too many books and anyway they all get super dusty here but this one sounds like one i could add to my thai collection...

if i send money with a thai friend to korat will he find it? or is it not in THE MALL bookstores....

bina

israel

I'm curious to see which way the book will be slanted in regards to the recent history of the past 8 years. "Former Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Visanu Krue-ngam" was deputy PM during those years so I wonder...

I guess I'll have to buy a copy to find out!

Edited by Meridian007

Thanks for the insight Sabai. This might be an interesting edition for those whom have their fascinations direct so toward modern Thai history. As a historic researcher, I'm instintively cynical toward what passes as 'encyclopedic' versions of historic content, as this historiographic manistream is rife with bias', omissions, revisions, and heavy manipulations. This is broadly understood, generally speaking throughout the wider studies of social sciences. This surely would be the case, if this heafty tome was being published and distributed here in Thailand, which has a long established history {no pun} of unnecessary censorship in these fields. One that note, I've always been amazed as to the variety of deep controversial history material that is quite available freely throughout the country funneled through respected bookshops, publishers, and libraries - less what might be availble outside of the country. I keep an positive, open and independent vision towards meaningful profects as this, and will seek this volume out. I'm assuming it would be available at the larger commercial bookshop distributors, yes? Thanks for the tips and brief bio. Peace. :)

New book Chronicle of Thailand first to present major events in Thailand since 1946 through headline news

Editions Didier Millet and Post Publishing, today (9 November), announced the publication of a landmark book that presents major events in Thailand since 1946 as it was reported through headline news, and which will be in bookstores by 18th November 2009.

Called Chronicle of Thailand: Headline News Since 1946, the publication presents dramatic happenings during the reign of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej through 1,800 photographs, illustrations and cartoons, as well as 2,300 headline stories in a handsome 444-page book.

The book offers, in a visually exciting format, a view of events as they unfolded, including the coronation of His Majesty, the Vietnam War era, the October 1973 uprising, economic booms, great sporting moments, unforgettable tragedies, as well as quirky aspects of daily life that just happened to make the headlines.

Noted historian Associate Professor Tongthong Chandransu, who is also a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the book, said, "By presenting Thailand's modern history through a collection of news stories that are organized by year, Chronicle of Thailand puts key political developments into the context of other events happening at the time whether it be social, or cultural or sporting. It helps one better understand the mood of the times, through words and pictures, and brings to life key developments in our country's history in a way that is fun to read."”

"For example, as you flip through the years, you can quickly get a feel for the sweep of developments and see how similar incidents around key issues like communism, terrorism or coups lead to differing outcomes, reflecting the progress that our country is making. You can easily trace the roots of longstanding issues, as with, for example, Khao Phra Viharn," he said.

The strong visual layout and dramatic photographs should help make Chronicle of Thailand a useful companion for people from all walks of life, including those with a casual interest in Thailand, as well as academics, journalists, and students.

"We want to have a book that is neutral that's based on news sources to tell the story of Thailand - the book is a different presentation of the country ... [it's] a unique way to tell the history of Thailand," said Nicholas Grossman, the book's editor-in-chief.

Each of the 64 years presented in the book features about 40 stories that have made the news. You can expect the obvious political events and sagas and the tragedies that spread across newspaper pages.

Some of the shadowy events that continue to be controversial today are given special attention. There is, for example, a two-page spread on the October 1973 student uprising, which details the days leading up to and the days following the landmark October 14.

The book also gives a glimpse into the views of the foreign press on this political triumph and tragedy. In the foreword to the book, Wissanu Krea-Ngam, chairman of the Editorial Advisory Board, comments on the media coverage of events such as the October 1973 and the October 1976 massacres, "Although press censorship and biases often influenced the reporting of these events, it is essential that this book present them so that the current and future generations can gain an understanding of the key moments that have shaped the country".

Smaller stories also culminate into one big story. For instance, the story of Khao Phra Viharn is made up of different stories throughout the decades. The troubled relationship between Thailand and Cambodia also comes in the form of entertainment-cum-foreign relations news, involving a remark of a TV actress regarding Angkor Wat that led to torchings of the Thai Embassy and Thai-owned hotels in Phnom Penh.

"[in this book]," said Grossman, "you can get a clear understanding of when things happen, the background behind something like the Khao Phra Viharn. So you see a little bit of the progress. Somebody new to the country can maybe understand Thailand better. Where are these current events coming from? And you can see in this book the relationship with Cambodia has always been strained in the modern period. Highly highly strained, more so than with other countries.

"For me, the interesting thing while doing this book was to see how everything has a real background. There's culture to all these news stories. There's history to these stories. You can gain a deeper appreciation and a new kind of sensitivity for today. For the average outsider or somebody who doesn't really pay close attention to Thai affairs, they might not really understand what the big deal is about this temple on the border. And maybe it even looks silly to them. But if you go back into the past, you ... have a deeper perspective and understanding of it."

"The book's international distribution and availability on Amazon.com will help non-Thais understand Thailand better, too," he said.

The co-publisher, Editions Didier Millet, has also produced Chronicle of Singapore and Chronicle of Malaysia, along with a string of successful books on Thailand, including The King of Thailand in World Focus and Thailand: 9 Days in the Kingdom. Chronicle of Thailand's Editorial Advisory Board also includes Dr. Borwornsak Uwanno, Secretary-General of the King Prajadhipok Institute, and Mr. Vitthaya Vejjajiva, former Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The official launch of the book is scheduled for 18th November 2009 and will be presided over by Mr. Anand Panyarachun at a reception at the Four Seasons Hotel.

Chronicle of Thailand is available from 18 November 2009 at leading bookstores in Thailand, priced at Bht 1,450.

source: Thaiprnet

does this mean it will be in amazon in the next month? or is there a way to order it over seas some other way? i dont have an international credit card so have to get someone to order or buy for me either form thailand or from the US... dont think it will be stocked in steimatzkies in israel any time soon... but i can get my parents to send me a birthday gift instead of their usual monetary donation ... if they can access it...how much will it weight?(posting costs)

bina

israel

oh! sorry, im bannork here... apart from thai visa and some hebrew news sites and vet/medicine sites, i dont surf horrible places that for me are like candy stores: pet shops and book stores.

will post parents; do u think it is moral to ask elderly parents to fund book for poor 48 yr old kibbutznik?

dont answer....worht more then dollars they would send and i would convert to shekels.

bina

israel