Electricity Renovation In Condo, What Should Be Done ?

frenchFARANGbkk

Electricity renovation in condo, what should be done ? Do i need Breaker box + Safe-T-cut + Earth leakage breaker for water warmer and washing machine ?

Hi,

Cam you tell what shou;d be done when you renovate a condo ?

I have read somewhere here about Breaker box, Safe-t-cut, and Earth leakage breaker (RDC?) for water warmer and washing machine, are they all really needed ?

Can I find a box with everything inside ?

Why a safety cut, isn't the breaker box enough ?

Thanks a lot !

breaker = MCB will stop short circuits and fires

safety cut = RCD/RCCB/ELCB will stop electric shocks and death

RCD = Residual Current Device

RCCB = Residual Current Circuit Breaker

ELCB = Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker

all same same but different :)

FFBKK.

We could help you more in we knew what you have at present, and why you believe renovation is required.

A few questions.

Does your condo currently have 3-pin outlets?

Please post a photo of your existing distribution board (it's easier than asking what's in it), if you feel confident, a picture with the lid off would also be useful (care please).

Do you have (or intend having) a water heater, what power is it (Watts or Amps)?

Do you intend a complete re-wire or just tarting up and fixing safety issues?

Yes, you should have an RCD and proper grounding. How you achieve a safe installation depends upon what's there now.

As far as getting someone to do the work is concerned, your condo office should be your first stop, they likely have a list of preferred contractors.

Hi,

There is just a general switch now (breaker), so it's like there is nothing and everything will be changed.

Yes there will be a water warmer and washing machine.

No ground/earth now but all plugs will be grounded after renovation.

I have seen SAFE T CUT boxes for around 5000 thb at homepro, is evertything that I need inside this box ?

http://www.safe-t-cut.com/eng/index.php?na...roduct&id=4

Thanks again.

Edited by frenchFARANGbkk

The device you link to is an RCD, yes you will need one of these or a similar device with the same function.

Does your distribution board look like this:-

CU-1.jpg

If so you probably don't need to replace it, but you may need to add an earth bar to which you connect the grounds from your outlet circuits and water heater. You could replace your main switch with an RCBO which is a combined RCD / MCB (in which case you won't need the Safe-T-Cut).

Have a look here http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/

How you add grounds to to your outlets depends upon what you have now, if your existing cable runs in conduit (pipe) you may be able to get the ground wire in alongside it.

Your biggest issue in an older condo will be how to provide an adequate ground, investigate your water pipe, is it metal? You may also be able to use the structural steel of the building.

I suggest your best bet, rather than trying to gleen information here, would be to locate a decent contractor (yes, I know), tell him what you want and see what he suggests. Once you have his suggestions you can post them here for us to take apart :)

Don't do it the easiest way, make sure it's done within the legal boundaries.

Why? Insurance? Presuming of course that you do have contents insurance.

If there is a fire it will be investigated thoroughly by the police and they will give detailed report of everything. I know this from experience.

Eighteen months ago there was a fire in a unit in my building (not my unit) the police investigated, they reported in detail, the insurance company refused to pay because the electrics had been tampered with and were no longer within the legal requirements.

Owner disappeared and never seen again, rumoured to have fled back to his native Korea, has about 40 law suits outstanding for the water / smoke damages done to other units. Plus the condo committee (on behalf of all owners) is sueing him for similar reasons.

The device you link to is an RCD, yes you will need one of these or a similar device with the same function.

Does your distribution board look like this:-

CU-1.jpg

If so you probably don't need to replace it, but you may need to add an earth bar to which you connect the grounds from your outlet circuits and water heater. You could replace your main switch with an RCBO which is a combined RCD / MCB (in which case you won't need the Safe-T-Cut).

Have a look here http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/

How you add grounds to to your outlets depends upon what you have now, if your existing cable runs in conduit (pipe) you may be able to get the ground wire in alongside it.

Your biggest issue in an older condo will be how to provide an adequate ground, investigate your water pipe, is it metal? You may also be able to use the structural steel of the building.

I suggest your best bet, rather than trying to gleen information here, would be to locate a decent contractor (yes, I know), tell him what you want and see what he suggests. Once you have his suggestions you can post them here for us to take apart :)

Yes I have a box like this one, but smaller.

Hope Pro proposed me to replace the ON/OFF plug by what I guess is the RCBO about wich you are speaking about.

If I do that do I still need to also add the earth bar connected to the ground ?

But I don't need the safe-t-cut ?

I am sure that I will use a professional to do the job but I want to know first what should be done, so thank you so much for all your explanations.

Please can you also tell me where to buy an ELCB to add to water warmer as I couldn't find one at homepro ?

And last question, when you connect a washing machine and a water warmer to the gound, should you use 2 full cables coming from the main ground connected t othe condo or it is ok to connect the main ground to the water warmer then connect the washing machine grund to this water warmer ground. (1 cable from warmer gorund to the washing machine ground).

Edited by frenchFARANGbkk

Yes I have a box like this one, but smaller.

Hope Pro proposed me to replace the ON/OFF plug by what I guess is the RCBO about wich you are speaking about.

If I do that do I still need to also add the earth bar connected to the ground ?

But I don't need the safe-t-cut ?

I am sure that I will use a professional to do the job but I want to know first what should be done, so thank you so much for all your explanations.

Please can you also tell me where to buy an ELCB to add to water warmer as I couldn't find one at homepro ?

Sorry if I'm causing confusion here.

IF you have an overall RCBO you don't need a Safe-T-Cut or additional ELCB protection for your water heater, the RCBO provides all the necessary protection.

Turn off your power and remove the lid from your distribution box, take a photo and post it here, this is far easier than us trying to determine exactly what you have / require, we can see if you already have a suitable earth bar :)