Visa Run

mr.buffalo

No visa runs go to Poipet from Pattaya. They all go to the Pha Khat/Pailin border post in minivans. What's the point of travelling further when you can go to the nearest place for 1,800 all inclusive.

It amazes me what people will do to try to save a few baht (and a page in the passport). Get a bigger passport and do it the easy way.

Edited by tropo

No visa runs go to Poipet from Pattaya. They all go to the Pha Khat/Pailin border post in minivans. What's the point of travelling further when you can go to the nearest place for 1,800 all inclusive.

It amazes me what people will do to try to save a few baht (and a page in the passport). Get a bigger passport and do it the easy way.

Getting a new passport while in Thailand aint the easy way sorry!

5 visa runs 5 pages, evisa and drive to Poipet works for me, just trying to find out about the Bus as an alternitive to driving!

Getting a new passport while in Thailand aint the easy way sorry!

5 visa runs 5 pages, evisa and drive to Poipet works for me, just trying to find out about the Bus as an alternitive to driving!

Easy enough for me. Pop into the embassy with my online application form filled out. Pay the fee and have it posted to my Thailand address. 64 pages should take care of plenty of visa runs over 10 years. If you're doing a visa run every 3 months you should be right for 10 years.

an uncrowded large bus is often more comfortable than a small cramped van

imho

imho

just take the Mukdahan bus in the morning, get off at Aran, take a motorbike or a share a trycicle to the border market, walk over, then back, take the bus to kabinburi, switch to chonburi, rayong buses at Kabinburi.

OR

take the early bus to trang, take a van to the border and go back like you came. Faster service at the border in Hat lek and no attempt to charge the 100 Baht scam fee when i did that run. Last direct bus to pattaya around 3 PM after that it's switching in Chantaburi.

The individual tour has the advantage that you can eat what and where you like, pick your on buses, save the all-important passport page (once you calculate the value of 4-5 Cambodian entries on 1 page as opposed 5-6 pages used up, it matters).

imho

The minivans they use on visa runs to Pong Nam Ron are pretty comfortable. They only have 3 seats across with 3 rows in total. The seats recline to almost horizontal if you choose a back row seat. What more would one need to make the journey more comfortable.

imho

So you'd choose a big bus to go travel a much longer distance (Pattaya to Poipet vs Pattaya to Pong Nam Ron) because the seats are more comfortable.

Perhaps the OP will travel Pattaya to Bangkok first and then on to Poipet in a large bus to gain some leg room and save a page in his passport.

I've done the visa runs in the days when big buses ran, and a minivan with reclining seats is more comfortable and faster.

thanks for the useful information

quote:

The minivans they use on visa runs to Pong Nam Ron are pretty comfortable.

Does this refer to any particular company or to many/most in general?

Is Pong Nam Ron the same as bam lam? I don't know the correct names. I have only been to the 'other' border besides poi pet a couple of times.

In regards to saving space in the passport, I am not following. I think I read that an e-visa to cambodia might save you that full page the typical cambodian visa takes up but otherswise how would one be saving space in their passport?

cheers

quote:

Is Pong Nam Ron the same as bam lam? I don't know the correct names. I have only been to the 'other' border besides poi pet a couple of times.

In regards to saving space in the passport, I am not following. I think I read that an e-visa to cambodia might save you that full page the typical cambodian visa takes up but otherswise how would one be saving space in their passport?

cheers

The bargain basement visa (1800 to 2000 baht) run vans I use are 3 rows of 3 seats. That's plenty of space for the average punter. I weigh about 260 lbs myself and I'm not short of space. Get a back seat and recline to horizontal for a good sleep. I can not understand why anyone would complain about being cramped.

The more expensive services go for about 2500 and the vans are even more spaceous.

OK, about Pong Nam Ron. I used that name because it is the district which includes both of the well known border check points normally used on Pattaya visa runs.

More precisely they are:

1. Ban Pakkad (Thailand)/ Pailin (Cambodia)

2. Ban Laem (Thailand) / Daung (Cambodia)

#1 and #2 are marked "Pong Nam Ron" on the Thailand entry/exit stamps.

#1 is marked "Prum" on the Cambodian entry/exit stamps.

#2 is marked "Daung" on the Cambodian entry/exit stamps.

Very confusing, isn't it?

As far as I know all visa runs are now using #2. The last 3 runs I have done over the previous 4 months have all been to #2. They said it was closer, but it seems to be about the same distance. There are no Cambodian beggars at #2.

No big buses as stated above.

The actual difference between a cramped van and a quasi business class approach to the visa run problem is less than 900 baht and at 90 days, that is 10 baht a day to do the trip in relative luxury. Is there even a question to answer ?

Alternatively, find someone to share a cab with, or hire a car and drive.

Make a trip out shopping to Singapore and get a flight.

Surely things cannot be that bad that people are counting Bt10 a day ! If they are, they should save up 20,000 and go back home.

No big buses as stated above.

The actual difference between a cramped van and a quasi business class approach to the visa run problem is less than 900 baht and at 90 days, that is 10 baht a day to do the trip in relative luxury. Is there even a question to answer ?

Alternatively, find someone to share a cab with, or hire a car and drive.

Make a trip out shopping to Singapore and get a flight.

Surely things cannot be that bad that people are counting Bt10 a day ! If they are, they should save up 20,000 and go back home.

If you weren't so condescending in your reply I would break it to you more gently, but....that's just all around nonsense.

They are not cramped as I clearly indicated in my previous post and a lot of people go there more often than once every 90 days. Paying 900 baht more is basically throwing money down the toilet, but I suppose according to your reasoning if you're throwing away 10 baht for this and 10 baht for that everyday it's not so bad.

Why not go the whole hog? Hire limousines, not taxis. Hire private cars, not baht buses. Always fly first class and turn every visa run into a mini vacation some place where you can spend a lot of money and stay in 5* hotels. If you work out the additional costs over 90 days it won't be so bad. Maybe you could even hire a private jet or helicopter if you work it out daily.

BTW, who needs to shop in Singapore these days?

quote:

cheers

Thats right with an evisa you just print the visa and take it with you.

It isn't attached to your passport so saves 1 whole page, you still need you entry exit stamps etc in your passport.

Unfortunatly only accepted at Poipet, Koh Kong and Airports.

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/vindex.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

imho

The minivans they use on visa runs to Pong Nam Ron are pretty comfortable. They only have 3 seats across with 3 rows in total. The seats recline to almost horizontal if you choose a back row seat. What more would one need to make the journey more comfortable.

The minivans with the 3 seats across with 3 rows sounds comfortable. Is there a number to call? Or some link to a website?

imho

The minivans with the 3 seats across with 3 rows sounds comfortable. Is there a number to call? Or some link to a website?

The cheapest Pattaya-Cambodia visa-runs are 1800 baht. If you are over 5 feet 8 inches they are cramped, plus they often allow smoking inside. (Even though it is advertised as a Non-Smoking bus).

The 5 Star Visa runs, however are very spacious and cost 2500 baht but include a full English breakfast, a light meal on the return journey and a free small beer on return. Plus you get a loyalty card, so after 2 visa runs you get a 500 baht discount, which mathematically means a VIP visa run costs 2333 per trip.

The quality and condition of the minibus is better, there is a movie shown both ways and reasonable toilet breaks during travel plus full assistance at the border.

Why anyone would want to travel on the cheap option is a total mystery to me. They tend to attract the low-life Pattaya resident, drunk and B.O. ridden and are often stopped by border police for Chinese (Cambodian) cigarette smuggling.