Tips And Tricks For A Family Weekend In Chiang Mai

asia_pilot

Hello,

we are planing to drive up to Chiang Mai this weekend ( FRI-SUN ) for a weekend. Since I have never been to this part of Thailand, neighter has my wife, we are looking for some tips on wehere to stay ( no budget traveller ) what to see and do, etc. I am sure here alot of folks who can give some tips for a small family with a 2 Year old Child. One things we would like to see are the village people with the long necks ( rings arround their necks ).

If your travelling with a two year old and you want a more upmarket place to stay I'd recommend the Horizon Resort which is around 11km from Chiang Mai town and is adjacent to Taweechol park which has a decent play area for children as well as a boating lake and a small zoo including an area for feeding the deer. I live up the road and after three years of visiting my children still enjoy it.

If you have a car it's easy to make trips from this area.

I don't particulary recommend the long neck village :) if you want to visit a zoo Chiang Mai has a pretty good one.

If your travelling with a two year old and you want a more upmarket place to stay I'd recommend the Horizon Resort which is around 11km from Chiang Mai town and is adjacent to Taweechol park which has a decent play area for children as well as a boating lake and a small zoo including an area for feeding the deer. I live up the road and after three years of visiting my children still enjoy it.

If you have a car it's easy to make trips from this area.

I don't particulary recommend the long neck village :) if you want to visit a zoo Chiang Mai has a pretty good one.

I'd go along with that. Their web-site has rooms from 2,000 baht a night which is great considering how nice the place is. The park, that is basically part of the same development, is a great place to cycle round. One of my sisters discovered it for me and having lived here for so long, I was surprised that I hadn't heard of it. Beautiful gardens, a mini zoo, and fantastic topiary. Look at the site for the Botanic gardens here (only in Thai but great photos).

http://www.tweecholbotanicgarden.com/

Edited by KevinHunt

Huay tung toa resevoir is one my favourite places. The kids can run around and play while you kick back enjoy some food and a drink. Drive round to the right a bit and take the 1st restaurant after turning right at the folk in the road, elsewhere can get a bit busy on weekend, still real nice though; beautiful views etc.

have a nice weekend

I agree.... Huey Tung Tao and Tweenchol (Horizon Resort) are also good options.

1. Chiang Mai Night Safari on Saturday MORNINGS is a favourite with us as well. 50 baht an adult. Kids are free. It opens at 10:00 am and there is nobody ever there.

2. 700 Years Stadium has a large park that attracts a lot of families.

3. I agree with the Long Neck comments. It's not really worth seeing.

Our kids (aged 2 and 4) love Chiang Mai Zoo - big enough for at least half a day, especially in the December cool. I wouldn't bother paying for the aquarium though - unless your 2 year old is particularly fascinated by fish!

In case you're looking for some indoor stuff, the Central Kad Suan Kaew has a big soft play on the second floor, always popular...

Hope you have a good weekend.

If you want to see the mountain tribes to include the long neck, I recomment that you take a trip to Chiang Dao. Only 1 hour drive from Chiangmai. You can rent a van with driver for 1100 baht per day. You can also visit the Chiang Dao Cave and the 3 tribes that live on the mountain only about 2 km from Chiang Dao. I rnd heally great experience. I know because I live in Chiang Dao. We have some great resorts here in town. If you need help in getting a place to stay in Chinag Dao. I will be glade to help. We have some of the best resorts from 200 baht a night to 1800 baht a night. Can help you get what you want, no charge, just trying to support my town. Chiang Dao. :)

If you want to see the mountain tribes to include the long neck, I recomment that you take a trip to Chiang Dao. Only 1 hour drive from Chiangmai. You can rent a van with driver for 1100 baht per day. You can also visit the Chiang Dao Cave and the 3 tribes that live on the mountain only about 2 km from Chiang Dao. I rnd heally great experience. I know because I live in Chiang Dao. We have some great resorts here in town. If you need help in getting a place to stay in Chinag Dao. I will be glade to help. We have some of the best resorts from 200 baht a night to 1800 baht a night. Can help you get what you want, no charge, just trying to support my town. Chiang Dao. :)

Im interested in accomodation for 200 a night up Chang Dao way. Often thought of having a weekend up there, but always looking to do things on a budget at the moment due to marriage ceremony saving for next year.

Would be interested in the name of somewhere cheap up that way for a budget break away.

Thanks

Phil