Thai Police Still Extorting Tourists

Serpico

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier in the thread there was some question of the existence of these guys. I went by today and took some photos. As you can see from the background, they are directly across from Siam Paragon, where I have always seen them.

The one sign, which I have enlarged, is for the benefit of foreigners. It states that you are subjected to a 2,000 baht maximum. If you read Thai, the other sign seems to present a limited time, introductory offer of 100 baht, until December 31st! :)

have i lost my mind here???

The police sit at a desk with big signs explaining littering will cost you a fine..... so far so good and understand this...

Now, some farangs who have littered are saying its a scam???? now i don't understand this.....

Why is it the Police or authorities in Thailand are trying to keep the litter off the streets but its classed as scamming???

Earlier in the thread there was some question of the existence of these guys. I went by today and took some photos. As you can see from the background, they are directly across from Siam Paragon, where I have always seen them.

The one sign, which I have enlarged, is for the benefit of foreigners. It states that you are subjected to a 2,000 baht maximum. If you read Thai, the other sign seems to present a limited time, introductory offer of 100 baht, until December 31st! :)

have i lost my mind here???

The police sit at a desk with big signs explaining littering will cost you a fine..... so far so good and understand this...

Now, some farangs who have littered are saying its a scam???? now i don't understand this.....

Why is it the Police or authorities in Thailand are trying to keep the litter off the streets but its classed as scamming???

Although these clowns are doing little to keep litter off the streets, and this operation is solely for the purpose of adding baht to their pockets, the "scam" part has come into play because of the contention that these guys have busted people for tossing cigarettes, when the perpetrator doesn't smoke. The original post is an example. I have read others.

It's quite obvious that these guys are sizing you up, as a mark, rather than keeping a "watchful eye" for violators.

For the most part the เทศกิจ (pronounced; thaed-sa-gid) which is the metropolitan code enforcement agency for cleanliness in Bangkok does target foreigners over thais. The moral of this story is; DON'T FRICKIN' LITTER YOU MORON. They are most definitely NOT police as they neither carry guns nor handcuffs, so they're just what it says on their sleeves; “municipal code enforcers”.

The เทศกิจ have a booth at the mouth of my soi and for the most part are good guys just doing a job. It's certainly not a scam, and neither do they "line their pockets" as a previous poster alluded to. I routinely drink with them after their shift is over and they certainly don’t seem to be rolling in frickin’ baht. They give receipts, track the fines paid, as well as the nationalities of the offenders in their log book at their little booth. I’ve sat with them many times watching them bring in foreigners who’ve they apprehended littering. I don't see anything wrong with them using their walkie-talkies to watch, follow, and fine foreigners who litter. Deal with it.

I hate whiners who break the law and then cry about the injustice of it all. Of course the fine for thais littering is cheaper; few if any thais have 2000 baht on them, while almost all tourists do. The sign a previous poster mentions does say foreigners are subjected to a maximum fine of 2000baht, and the thai sign says that effective next year thais will receive a minimum fine of 100 baht. This is a new and recently passed piece of the “keep Bangkok beautiful” legislation. It is also true that you can expect a bigger fine if you throw your cigarette butt into the sewer or drain, and they have a laminated card at their booth that outlines this in horrendously worded engrish.

Please dear reader; lest you think I am one of the color-coordinated shirt and matching snazzy rubber bracelet wearing "wanna-b-thai" foreign sock-puppets living in this pissant shit-hole country who says if you don’t like it leave, think again. :)

You would be hard pressed indeed to find someone who is more a card carrying member of the thai bashing faction on this forum than myself. :D With that being said, if you do actually break the law, however minor an infraction, what gives you the right as a foreigner to get a free pass? Hmmm, the mind wobbles at the injustice of it all. :D

That Bangkok Scam site does show some of the more prevalent scams that occur to tourists but hey, that happens to tourists the world over in tourist areas, so really no different than any country. It is my experience that stupidity knows no country borders or nationalities, and as Forrest Gump said, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Go save the pangolins, or something. .. :D

IMHO, anyone who breaks the law, then uses the "everyone else does it" excuse, is TSOL. Maybe if they weren't wearing 3/4 length shorts, a tank top and a fanny pack, they would have passed, undetected.

But, in the case of the BMA, at the SIAM BTS stop, I have read 3 individual accounts about getting busted for tossing cigarettes, and the perps don't smoke.

In any case, maybe this should be simply considered as a heads up, noting the diligence of the BMA at this local.

Edited by Curt1591

For the most part the เทศกิจ (pronounced; thaed-sa-gid) which is the metropolitan code enforcement agency for cleanliness in Bangkok does target foreigners over thais. The moral of this story is; DON'T FRICKIN' LITTER YOU MORON. They are most definitely NOT police as they neither carry guns nor handcuffs, so they're just what it says on their sleeves; “municipal code enforcers”.

The เทศกิจ have a booth at the mouth of my soi and for the most part are good guys just doing a job. It's certainly not a scam, and neither do they "line their pockets" as a previous poster alluded to. I routinely drink with them after their shift is over and they certainly don’t seem to be rolling in frickin’ baht. They give receipts, track the fines paid, as well as the nationalities of the offenders in their log book at their little booth. I’ve sat with them many times watching them bring in foreigners who’ve they apprehended littering. I don't see anything wrong with them using their walkie-talkies to watch, follow, and fine foreigners who litter. Deal with it.

I hate whiners who break the law and then cry about the injustice of it all. Of course the fine for thais littering is cheaper; few if any thais have 2000 baht on them, while almost all tourists do. The sign a previous poster mentions does say foreigners are subjected to a maximum fine of 2000baht, and the thai sign says that effective next year thais will receive a minimum fine of 100 baht. This is a new and recently passed piece of the “keep Bangkok beautiful” legislation. It is also true that you can expect a bigger fine if you throw your cigarette butt into the sewer or drain, and they have a laminated card at their booth that outlines this in horrendously worded engrish.

Please dear reader; lest you think I am one of the color-coordinated shirt and matching snazzy rubber bracelet wearing "wanna-b-thai" foreign sock-puppets living in this pissant shit-hole country who says if you don’t like it leave, think again. :)

You would be hard pressed indeed to find someone who is more a card carrying member of the thai bashing faction on this forum than myself. :D With that being said, if you do actually break the law, however minor an infraction, what gives you the right as a foreigner to get a free pass? Hmmm, the mind wobbles at the injustice of it all. :D

That Bangkok Scam site does show some of the more prevalent scams that occur to tourists but hey, that happens to tourists the world over in tourist areas, so really no different than any country. It is my experience that stupidity knows no country borders or nationalities, and as Forrest Gump said, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

I live in Phuket and I think it's about time that the Thai government has begun to enforce littering laws. In Phuket, it's more often the locals that openly throw their trash on the beaches, along the streets, vacant lots, etc. whereas foreigners seem to be more aware of the fact that garbage doesn't belong on the beach, etc. Perhaps this is do to better enforcement of anti-littering laws in other countries.

The only problem that I have is that the law should be enforced indiscriminately without prejudice. Foreigners shouldn't be singled out and forced to pay fines far in excess of what a Thai would pay. This type of selective law enforcement does fit my definition of a scam.

I live in Phuket and I think it's about time that the Thai government has begun to enforce littering laws. In Phuket, it's more often the locals that openly throw their trash on the beaches, along the streets, vacant lots, etc. whereas foreigners seem to be more aware of the fact that garbage doesn't belong on the beach, etc. Perhaps this is do to better enforcement of anti-littering laws in other countries.

The only problem that I have is that the law should be enforced indiscriminately without prejudice. Foreigners shouldn't be singled out and forced to pay fines far in excess of what a Thai would pay. This type of selective law enforcement does fit my definition of a scam.

These cops are exploiting the littering law and targeting visitors to the land of scams.

Thats what they are up to.

Does anyone here actually believe these people care about the environment or their countries tourism business?

It's all about scamming foreigners.

This is a bad attitude to have, because it conflicts with what most of us consider equal treatment by the law. Why should a richer person pay more than a poor? Sounds communist to me.

Well of course they are. I just got hit again on the freeway. This time i was doing the speed limit in the left lane. When the lanes branched out into 7 lanes for the turnstiles at the fare booths I continued straight. It was number 4. I was told that because I drive a small pickup truck I need to go to lanes 1 or 2. Patent nonsense. There were pickup trucks and SUVs at all lanes for the fare booths. Didn't have the time to muck around as we were on the way out of town for a holiday. Cost me 500 bt. This happened on the Bang-Na to Chonburi Expressway. This is the 3rd time I've been extorted on that particular stretch. No more. I'll take the BKK-Chonburi motorway in future if I am heading East out of BKK.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I've been here 26 years and have never had any experience like what you have had! I have to pay 100-200 Baht when I make a traffic mistake, no seatbelt, registration expired, illegal turn, but I am always guilty and am happy to pay the small fine.

I've been here 26 years and have never had any experience like what you have had! I have to pay 100-200 Baht when I make a traffic mistake, no seatbelt, registration expired, illegal turn, but I am always guilty and am happy to pay the small fine.

Do you live in BKK? Do you frequently travel the expressways? I have driven all over Thailand. I find that I only get tagged in a few places: 1) The expressways of BKK 2) On the highway near Pattaya coming from BKK 3) Near Hua Hin. I never seem to have any problems elsewhere.