Thaksins Audio Recording Of Interview Requested

webfact

TIMES ONLINE

Audio recording of interview requested

By The Nation

Published on November 11, 2009

Audio recording of interview requested

The government yesterday requested an audio recording of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra's interview with the British-based Times Online website.

The move was aimed at investigating his claim he was misquoted in a later report regarding what he said about His Majesty the King and the monarchy.

PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey said he had sent a letter to Times Online requesting the recording to determine whether there had been a misinterpretation of Thaksin's words or if he really made remarks described by critics as offensive to the monarchy.

"We'll try to prove who really told the truth and who distorted the facts," Satit said.

He said the Thai ambassador in London had explained to Times Online the matter was a sensitive one for Thai public feeling, as it involved the monarchy, and added the embassy would also send a written explanation.

The Web page containing the report was blocked in Thailand early yesterday by the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Ministry. A message appeared that said: "This URL has been blocked by court order, as it could have an effect on, or be against, the security of the Kingdom, public order or good morals."

The page could be accessed in the evening. The Web page carrying the script of the interview was not blocked.

Times Online earlier reported the Thai government had banned the interview with Thaksin and warned its security agencies would take "appropriate action" against any media organisations reporting his remarks about the Royal Family.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva warned journalists not to report contents of the interview and hinted the government would use the country's lese-majeste law.

Internet users in Thailand on Monday night said it was not possible to access the news article, in which Thaksin spoke to the website, The Times reported.

Special Branch police were working with the ICT Ministry in an investigation into Thaksin's interview with Times Online, Royal Thai Police spokesman Lt-General Pongsapat Pongcharoen said.

Meanwhile, a group of Senators and representatives from the Siam Samakkhi Group yesterday filed a lese-majeste complaint at Dusit police station against Thaksin; Times Online; its Asia editor, Richard Lloyd Parry, who wrote the article; academic Ji Ungpakorn; and the Red Siam website.

Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn, one of the complainants, said Ji and Red Siam were named in the complaint because they had circulated the offensive article.

In a related development, People's Network for Democracy secretary-general Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said his group had issued a statement denouncing Thaksin. He also called on the government to expedite the process of having Thaksin extradited to Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This gets more sinister, here we have a government censoring information from it's own people whilst requesting the very same information themselves for their own dubious reasons. I wonder if The Times will get involved in this crap.

Edited by ukrules

In a certain way if the recording is deemed not to be LM (However I doubt this scenario) and is played or certain sections of it are it could prove to be very damaging to Thaksin as his latest admission to a mistake indicates.

I dont think the Times will release the tape however. Refusing to do so attracts more interest to their story and creates another big story which menas more profit or potential profit to the newspaper. Richard Lloyd Parry is suddenly "The" western journalist on Thailand.

What Thaksin said was innuendo and implication-' The Privy councillors said that....'

Obviously we cannot go into detail here but his comparisons of the people's 'love' for him and the people's love for the King was highly inappropriate, as well as some of the words he used in replying about what advice he would give the King.

A lot of lies as usual, implying he was a country boy(ie poor) when his own family were well established and he married a deputy national policeman's daughter.

He also claimed he hadn't seen Potjaman since the divorce, really?

I'm sick of his lies.

As long as the Thai government recognizes and respects the fact the interview in each of its aspects, to include the voice recording, are the property of the TimesOnline, I wouldn't see its release to a foreign government causing any harm to freedom of press or speech in Western terms.

If the TimesOnline might be concerned the interview might be used, or is likely to be used to jeopardize the interviewee under the laws of a censoring government, then I'd expect the Times justifiably to have serious reservations about releasing the voce transcript to any such government.

A news organization has an obligation to protect those private citizens who agree to speak to it, otherwise who would agree to interviews or any contact with the news organization?

As long as the Thai government recognizes and respects the fact the interview in each of its aspects, to include the voice recording, are the property of the TimesOnline, I wouldn't see its release to a foreign government causing any harm to freedom of press or speech in Western terms.

If the TimesOnline might be concerned the interview might be used, or is likely to be used to jeopardize the interviewee under the laws of a censoring government, then I'd expect the Times justifiably to have serious reservations about releasing the voce transcript to any such government.

A news organization has an obligation to protect those private citizens who agree to speak to it, otherwise who would agree to interviews or any contact with the news organization?

The bottom line: I think Mr. T has seen the last of him money in Thailand and in desperation he continues putting himself in deeper and deeper hole

The bottom line: I think Mr. T has seen the last of him money in Thailand and in desperation he continues putting himself in deeper and deeper hole

The money issue is central and coming up very soon. We can expect a big push before that.

This gets more sinister, here we have a government censoring information from it's own people whilst requesting the very same information themselves for their own dubious reasons. I wonder if The Times will get involved in this crap.

I had no trouble accessing the relevant pages at home on my legal Windows or at school on their :) ahem... I don't agree with censorship but can you imagine the reaction of some people if it had been broadcast on state TV? I don't think that The Times will release their tapes but I reckon that they will stand by their journalist's reporting.

Obviously this is a very sensitive matter and we shouldn't go into details (thanks for the reminder Siripon), but I can say that some people here in the north are very upset. Those that can, have been/are reading the article in English and word spreads very quickly here.

For someone who washed his hands of politics a long time ago, he seems to be awfully active. He admits no fault or blame for anything, and this coming at the same time as his Cambodia job has seen what little sympathy people had, evaporate.

He's nowhere near as popular as he imagined, except for some die-hards of course, whose scales will never fall from their eyes. Their man is reaping what he has sown.

the full transcript is at google on Times online Thasin interview full transcript.

I wonder why the governmenet need the audio- do they think the transcipt is wrong.

It does have some shocking comments- like Thaksin repeatedly saying how mcuh he respects the King and loves him and listens to his advice..

the full transcript is at google on Times online Thasin interview full transcript.

I wonder why the governmenet need the audio- do they think the transcipt is wrong.

It does have some shocking comments- like Thaksin repeatedly saying how mcuh he respects the King and loves him and listens to his advice..

I think you need to ask some Thai's to explain to you what has upset them. Reverential to an extent but two main points are unacceptable to the (admittedly few) Thai people I have spoken to.

I can't see The Times' corporate counsel allowing them to release the tapes under any circumstance. However, in a show of good faith, they may agree to allow a representative of the Thai government to listen to them, but that is as far as they would go.

That one is easy. SOME thais are very upset because Thaksin even opened his mouth. It doesnt matter what words are spoken, its enough that words are spoken, because this is Thaksin and anything he says have to be offensive and damaging to Thailand. Its become a fundamentalist religion to some and some posters on this forum is right in the middle of that kind of thinking with both feets.

What Thaksin said was innuendo and implication-' The Privy councillors said that....'

Obviously we cannot go into detail here but his comparisons of the people's 'love' for him and the people's love for the King was highly inappropriate, as well as some of the words he used in replying about what advice he would give the King.

A lot of lies as usual, implying he was a country boy(ie poor) when his own family were well established and he married a deputy national policeman's daughter.

He also claimed he hadn't seen Potjaman since the divorce, really?

I'm sick of his lies.

I agree and would add his numerous comments about how things need to change with the times etc. We all know what Jakropob said last April in the Red Shirt rebellion and how these comments play into each other. Innuendo and implication yes, but also perhaps over the line.

siamese spat times online (see google)

has comments by the Times on the original interview

they say that 'In Thaksin’s words, either way, one finds neither criticism nor violation of the monarchy' but I guess the TIMES only recorded the interview, they didn't understand that when Thaksin said he loved and respected the King Thai people would take that the meant the opposite?

Last time in 2007 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6470389.stm

I don't think we should lambaste them for wanting to hear the tapes. We should if they have no interest in reading the transcripts or hearing tapes and still attacked him.

I wouldn't mind hearing the tapes myself.

Can we hope someone leaks it?

And in 'The interview that dared to break Thai royal taboo' David Lloyd Parry writes about the interview and its immediate after-effects. One kicker, the finished line as quoted from Giles Ungpakorn. No wonder Giles was up on LM. That is dynamite. It is nuclear. It is insane, if he ever had any plans to return.

That's the magic in the LM laws. :) And the trial is behind closed doors.

To be honest, that's why it's so noteworthy that the transcript is out there. Usually the evidence is "someone allegedly saying 'something'" and what was said exactly never surfaces, then the trial is behind closed doors, and you only hear the end result that a person is sentenced to jail for 18 years. (I'm not making this up in case anyone wonders, PM me for references)

In this case the evidence is in front of all of us. It will be VERY hard to prosecute that with a straight face; the evidence is out there, and it's in English even! This one cannot be covered up if they're pursuing it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I've read the transcript and even if The Times distorted it for the worse, there's nothing LM in there in my opinion. Only praise and good words for His Majesty. There are negative comments about the Prem and his team, but as fa as I'm aware, LM does not apply to them? Or is that something new?

That's the magic in the LM laws. :) And the trial is behind closed doors.

To be honest, that's why it's so noteworthy that the transcript is out there. Usually the evidence is "someone allegedly saying 'something'" and what was said exactly never surfaces, then the trial is behind closed doors, and you only hear the end result that a person is sentenced to jail for 18 years. (I'm not making this up in case anyone wonders, PM me for references)

In this case the evidence is in front of all of us. It will be VERY hard to prosecute that with a straight face; the evidence is out there, and it's in English even! This one cannot be covered up if they're pursuing it.

Note that Abhisit himself has been very careful about what he has said on this. I think he asked for clarification. Of course others in the government havent been quite so measured in response. However, to date the only LM charge brought has come form outside government. I suspect the government apart from requesting the tape dont really need to push this one as others will do that and also every time the other sdie play a defence it still attracts people with the "what did he really say reaction". I also suspect there will be several versions of what was said out there as word spreads. True the technical LM case is very difficult from an international perspective but I suspect the local political import of this will play out on a very different playing field.

I've read the transcript and even if The Times distorted it for the worse, there's nothing LM in there in my opinion. Only praise and good words for His Majesty. There are negative comments about the Prem and his team, but as fa as I'm aware, LM does not apply to them? Or is that something new?

LM doesn't apply to privy councilors, though some people would like LM laws to be extended to cover the Privy Council as well. All the Red demonstrations always go on about Gen. Prem, basically in the same way that Thaksin alleged in the interview. But that's not LM, no.

I'm not sure if Thaksin was particularly on target though; IMHO if there's one institution needing reform then it's the military. The privy council doesn't have a role in day to day politics so I'm not sure there's too much to reform. Obviously there will always be powerful and influential people in those circles, but that's not wrong, you have that anywhere in the world. I think a potential pain point is when the military is not taking orders from the elected government, as has been clearly shown in the recent past. So IMHO, the issue is then not with whoever it was they WERE taking orders from, but with the military itself.

And then there's the legal system, which in theory should be an independent branch.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

And claims a supposed assassin (of him, Thaksin) is close to.....

And claims he's loved because people can touch him but.....

I can't go into details obviously here but what angers Thai people about this interview is his arrogance- 'It's time for..........to be kind to the Thai people,,,!' and downright lies, ie claiming Pojaman played no role in politics- everybody knows she was and is still probably, the woman behind the scenes, deciding appointments to TRT positions, etc.

If the mods have to exclude this post I understand, but many are angry about this speech, not so much for lese majeste but for the arrogance and lies.

Edited by Siripon

Saying that someone is surrounded by people with bad advice puts the person having them in bad light.

It also casts in doubt any decisions that are made.

And the point about health and successor is very sensitive.

Not saying it is any LM here (I think it is not) but it still angers the common man. And some less common.

Edited:

Wolfie>> Hope mine isn't touching anything too close, it is merely explaining why people are upset.

Edited by TAWP

I read the following on the website of TimesOnline:

Mr Thaksin issued a statement saying that The Times’s report was “distorted” and “untrue”. The text of the interview, posted on Times Online, matches the recording of the conversation and was transcribed by a press representative of Mr Thaksin.

I prefer not to give a link to the web page in question because it contains also quotations from the interview and I understand that these must not be published in Thailand. It appears that the transcription of the interview was made by a press representative of Thaksin, i.e. by a person employed by him. I would assume, therefore, that the Thaksin camp has a copy of the recording and that the published transcript is identical with the text supplied by Thaksin's press representative.