Vehicle Registration When The Previous Owner Has Left The Country

evillordbrett

Hello,

I've been reading through the forums but I can't seem to find an answer to my question, so here goes...

I bought a bike from a guy who had to leave the country immediately. I have the green book. I have all of the documentation for the bike. I do not have any information about the guy that I bought the bike from, except for the information provided in the green book, and no way of contacting him. Is it possible for me to change the registration to my name? Is it necessary that I do so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You will not be able to change the green book to your name. You must have a signed copy of the previous owners ID card/passport. You can still pay yearly tax and keep the bike street legal. I'm not sure about insurance. It's going to be harder to sell the bike as well.

Hi.

You can have the insurance in your name without problems, i have done it before (bike registered in a Thai friend's name). You can as well pay the taxes, no questions asked.

It can become an issue if you are involved in/caused an accident and the cops insist on talking to "the owner of the bike". Also of course if you want to sell it again.

However just to ride it daily - no problem as long as it is taxed/insured.

Regards

Thanh

The ID card /passport and copy of visa is the most important...A title transfer service can handle the rest if they have connects, a place that has alot of business usually is known at the department of motor vehicles and the gov employess working there. Which municipality is the bike registered?

Give me a PM, I might be able to help.

I have an old bike that I bought from a Thai fellow for 7,500 baht, which does have a 'book', but of course no other paperwork. I live in Isaan but the 'license plate' of the bike is from Bangkok. Can I update the registration/pay the tax, and keep the little tag with the year on it up to date?