Dr. Pepper

bonobo

There have been numerous posts about the availability of Dr. Pepper in various threads.  The only post that indicated where you can get some was back 2004, and the place mentioned was the US embassy commissary, not someplace at which most people can shop.

However, they do have Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper at the cafe at the JUSMAG near the corner of Sathorn and Rama 4.  I asked who can access the compound, and I was told that just about any foreigner can get in without a problem.

The cafe is no great shakes, but it has a nice western breakfast and decent sandwiches.  The Thai dishes are adequate. But I was happily surprised to be able to enjoy a Diet Dr. Pepper with my BLT.

Is it the Dr Pepper made with real sugar or mercury-tainted HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup)?

I understand international producers, particularly Germany, still make it with real sugar.

The stuff out of the US, I believe, is made with HFCS like most other sodas.

They sell it in the cafe, but you reach in the cooler yourself to grab the cans, so I imagine you can buy as many as you want.

When I was a drinker of the regular Dr. Pepper, I would order cases of it from Texas made with cane sugar.  The normally available Dr. Pepper is made with high fructose corn syrup.  I would imagine that the cans at the JUSMAG are from the US, it being a US compound, after all.

Now, though, I drink Diet Dr. Pepper.  I actually like it better now, and it is by far my favorite diet drink.  I bring back 24 or 36 cans with me on each trip, but the shelf life on the diet seems to be about 2 months.  So now I know I can bring back fewer cans and then get it from the JUSMAG.

I have given Dr. Pepper to at least 30 Thais, and only two have liked it.  One drinks quite a bit of mine, in fact, each time she comes over.  So Dr. Pepper may well be an acquired taste.

I have given Dr. Pepper to at least 30 Thais, and only two have liked it. One drinks quite a bit of mine, in fact, each time she comes over. So Dr. Pepper may well be an acquired taste.

I tried to give my nieces A&W root beer once and the stepdaughter pretended to retch and spit it into the sink...dese thais, they learn culinary nationalism at an early age :)

I always thought Dr Pepper to be a variation on cherry coke...

Anyone know EXACTLY where the entrance to this place is? I live close by and never knew of it. Is ID needed to enter?

Thanks.

When I was a teenager working in the oil fields of West Texas my regular lunch was a can of Beanee Weenee, a loaf of Wonder Bread, a couple of Moon Pies, and an ice cold bottle of Dr. Pepper from the cooler. We would put the Beenee Weenee on the dash of the truck and it would be semi-hot by lunch time. Sometimes, of course, I would add a some peanuts to the Dr. Pepper. Mmmmm Good!

Edited by ricklev

The entrance to JUSTMAG is on South Sathorn Rd, on the corner of Sathorn Soi 1 (Soi Attakarn Prasit/Soi Justmag) When walking it is impossible to miss but when driving it looks like any other walled complex along Sathorn. There used to be an excellent dentist there as well, not sure if he is still there but he was also an expert on Thai golf courses and used to publish a book giving details of all courses in Thailand.

You do need an ID to get in.  You leave it at the security and they give you a visitor's badge.  Most people seem to use their passports.

This is a US compound, but I have been told that pretty much anyone with a foreign ID can get inside, and Thais with a reason to be there have no problem, either.

The entrance is where midasthailand described.  It is a large gray security door for vehicles.  There is a small plaque on the adjoining wall which says "JUSMAG."

A handful of U.S. bottling plants still use sugar to sweeten Dr Pepper. The Dr Pepper bottling plant in Dublin, Texas, produces such a beverage, known as Dublin Dr Pepper. In the 1980s, plant owner W.P. "Bill" Kloster (June 7, 1918 – September 27, 1999) refused to convert the plant to high-fructose corn syrup.[11] Since 2003, Dublin Dr Pepper has expanded its distribution to most of Texas and the Internet. Other bottlers still using sugar include Temple Bottling Company, in Temple, Texas, Ab-Tex in Abilene, and West Jefferson Dr Pepper (WJDP) of West Jefferson, NC.

I've bought cases at the Temple plant myself, much better in the sugar version.

When I was a kid in Texas the cool thing to do was buy a bottle of Dr Pepper and a bag of salted peanuts, dump the peanuts into the bottle after taking a few sips of the beverage, then finish the rest as a peanut/Dr Pepper concoction. The salt made the drink fizz up if it was starting to go flat and cut the sweetness. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it :) There was a nickname for the drink but I forget now what it was.

I had no idea what JUSMAG is.... so I went looking to find out... Now I know!!!

See link here....

Compound Services:

Restaurant: 0630-1500, Monday - Saturday

(Bar opens at 1500)

Barber shop: 0730- 1530, Monday - Friday

U.S. Postal Service: 1030-1200, 1300-1600, M-F (limited services)

(full-service APO is at the old embassy building)

Gymnasium, Tennis Court, Laundry, Racquet ball court: Self Service

Normal Duty Hours: 0700-1600

Besides drinking Dr. Pepper, what else can a "regular" American do there??? They have a U.S. Post office there??? Can you deposit U.S. bound mail there with U.S. postage???

Edited by jfchandler

I had no idea what JUSMAG is.... so I went looking to find out... Now I know!!!

See link here....

Compound Services:

Restaurant: 0630-1500, Monday - Saturday

(Bar opens at 1500)

Barber shop: 0730- 1530, Monday - Friday

U.S. Postal Service: 1030-1200, 1300-1600, M-F (limited services)

(full-service APO is at the old embassy building)

Gymnasium, Tennis Court, Laundry, Racquet ball court: Self Service

Normal Duty Hours: 0700-1600

Besides drinking Dr. Pepper, what else can a "regular" American do there??? They have a U.S. Post office there??? Can you deposit U.S. bound mail there with U.S. postage???

Good question. The compound is mostly for retired and ex-military and for the JUSMAG itself. I have been told that pretty much anyone can eat at the canteen, and you might be able to use the gym there. If you are retired military, you can get a post box. As far as sending out a letter, I don't know if everyone can do it.

There was a free turkey lunch there last Saturday, and it with three roasted turkeys and several hams, it was really quite nice.

While the options for non-vets may be limited, any US veteran in Thailand should really avail themselves of all the support there. And any war vet should absolutely join the VFW. The support they give vets and widows of vets is nothing short of amazing.

Someone told me they have a great steak night there once a month with USDA beef, but I haven't made it down to see yet. I always had assumed I needed to be attached to someone from JUSMAG or the Embassy, but I see that's not the case. Good news!

Someone told me they have a great steak night there once a month with USDA beef, but I haven't made it down to see yet. I always had assumed I needed to be attached to someone from JUSMAG or the Embassy, but I see that's not the case. Good news!

I think it is the last Friday of each month.

• 3 weeks later...