Retirement Visa Renewal

I am due to renew my one year visa December 09.

What is the lates to date documentation requirements in Pattaya. Copies of ? -----

Also if you continue to renew every year, how long is the original O non imigrant visa valid for?.

Cheers

Your visa expired probably a long time ago. It is nothing more than a permission to travel to Thailand and ask for permission to enter.

next you get a permission to stay, a stamp in your passport. It is this permission to stay that is important. The visa doens't matter any more, unless you have a valid multiple entry visa.

The required documents would depend on which grounds you want to aply for an extension:

- income

- money in the bank

or

- combination of income and money in the bank

Financial requirements being 800k in Thai bank for 2 months prior to first application (3 months for subsequent extensions) OR 65k/month income OR a combination of the two arriving at 800k. As said, if using the combination method there is no seasoning period.

- If using income from abroad you will need to obtain an income letter from your embassy.

- If using the bank balance option you will need a letter from bank confirming the account balance.

You will need completed application form TM7, recent passport sized photo, copy of bank passbook (if using bank balance option) and copy of passport. A map to you residence might be asked for together with some proof such as rent receipt/lease but that should be all. Fee 1,900 baht.

...- If using income from abroad you will need to obtain an income letter from your embassy....

I went to Amnat Charoen Immigration today for a one-year Retirment extension based on monthly income from abroad, and they are making me get that letter translated into Thai by an Authorized Translator. They gave me the address and phone of one in Roi Et (who charges 400 Baht.) Amnat checked with Nong Khai Immigration and got clearance to stamp the annual extension in my passport, but they want that translation mailed into them by the end of next week.

The officer said it would be acceptable for original affidavits from embassies to be bi-lingual, and you can bet your bippy mine will be bi-lingual next year.

The only other demand new to me was for a copy of every used page in my current passport (in addition to front matter and entry card with border stamp, but I was asked for those, before. As only one other page had been used in my new passport, he made a copy of it on his machine.)

I was asked for a map to my place, and a copy of its household registration (has my wife as Head of Household) plus all the other stuff you mentioned. Only having to have the income affidavit in Thai caught me short.

Oh, and this: The officer contacted Nong Khai Immigration by fax, and while waiting for them to fax back, he shared his lunch with me. The angry Frenchman who spoke only French and left in a huff got none.

I went to Amnat Charoen Immigration today for a one-year Retirment extension based on monthly income from abroad, and they are making me get that letter translated into Thai by an Authorized Translator.

Was your embassy's letter in English or some other language (other than Thai that is)?

I went to Amnat Charoen Immigration today for a one-year Retirment extension based on monthly income from abroad, and they are making me get that letter translated into Thai by an Authorized Translator.

Was your embassy's letter in English or some other language (other than Thai that is)?

Yes, it is in English, and that has always been okay when I got my extensions at Suan Phlu. But now I must go to Amant that wants a Thai translation from an authorized translator (usual charge. 400 Baht.) He faxed Nong Khai Immigration for permission to go ahead and give me my extension and have me mail in the translation next week. He said for next year he'd accept a bi-lingual letter in English AND Thai (like the applications are) signed-and-sealed by an American consul, and won't make me get it translated; and would cut me some slack as to its date if I get it early during an American consul outreach visit to Khon Kaen.

YMMV.

The visa doesn't matter any more, unless you have a valid multiple entry visa.

While that is true, Kuhn Mario, when you apply for any extension, the Immigration Officer will request a copy of your underlying Visa no matter how many years back (or your transfer of that Visa into your new passport).

Edited by jazzbo

"The visa doesn't matter any more, unless you have a valid multiple entry visa." While that is true, Kuhn Mario, when you apply for any extension, the Immigration Officer will request a copy of your underlying Visa no matter how many years back (or your transfer of that Visa into your new passport).

Immigration will not transfer a visa into your new passport. However, they do transfer your current permission to stay or extensions of stay stamp, but not the original visa stamp. Best to save all those old passports if you need the original visa stamp..

Immigration will not transfer a visa into your new passport.

I beg to differ as I have such a Transfer of Visa privileges (not an original Visa stamp) to my new Passport obtained at Suan Phlu which is different from the permission to Stay.... and such transfer is all that is ever required at Suvarnabhumi although I do keep my old Passport with the original Visa.

Immigration will not transfer a visa into your new passport.

I beg to differ as I have such a Transfer of Visa privileges (not an original Visa stamp) to my new Passport obtained at Suan Phlu which is different from the permission to Stay.... and such transfer is all that is ever required at Suvarnabhumi although I do keep my old Passport with the original Visa.

Why do you bother to keep your old passport with the original visa if, as you say, a 'Transfer of Visa privileges' is an equivalent visa and all that you need?

Why do you bother to keep your old passport...

1. Because some places like Nong Khai insist on seeing the original Visa page in the old Passport

2. Because the old expired Passport is proof of Citizenship for the US Embassy in Bangkok should I lose my current Passport.

3. So I can show-off all the places I have gone.

BTW when I obtained my extension of stay last week, they requested a copy of the transfer page which has the items "Non-Imm B" twice on the page; the transfer was 3 years ago so, last week, they did not want to see that old extension of stay which was indeed also transferred at that time 3 years ago.

Immigration does not transfer a visa, it only tranfers details of your visa into your passport. That is why if you still have a valid multiple entry visa, you still have to make use of your old passport. That one contains the visa on which you enter.

While that is true, Kuhn Mario, when you apply for any extension, the Immigration Officer will request a copy of your underlying Visa no matter how many years back (or your transfer of that Visa into your new passport).

I wasn't asked for mine last year at Suan Phlu, or this year at Amnat, but I did take my old passport with me, just in case.

Edited by PawyiLee

PawyiLee, you are lucky. Nongkhai also wants this embassy letter verified at Chaeng Wattana. That is an additional 800 baht plus lawyerfee or travel expenses.

I expect that's a (costly) mistake by a Nongkhai flunky, as the idea of having these things handled out in the sticks is to relieve the workload on Chaeng Wattana. When I objected at Amnatcharoen that I'd never had to have it in Thai before, Amnatcharoen faxed Nongkhai for confirmation, and the reply said nothing about sending me to Chaeng Wattana. When something that seems to make no sense happens, it pays dividends to remain polite and asked to be passed up the chain of command.

Edited by PawyiLee

I wasn't asked for mine last year at Suan Phlu, or this year at Amnat, but I did take my old passport with me, just in case.

Immigration always asks for your ID page of your passport and all the pages with visas and permissions to stay on it. That's routine. They also want to see those when you do a 90 day report.

PawyiLee, you are lucky. Nongkhai also wants this embassy letter verified at Chaeng Wattana. That is an additional 800 baht plus lawyerfee or travel expenses.

If there is a God in Heaven, may He/She bless the new Khon Kaen Office and its nice (lady) Director.

A few years ago, for a short time only, they did wright somenthing about this in there off. Website. But this order diapeard fast again from the web-site.

PawyiLee: I'd never had to have it in Thai before, Amnatcharoen faxed Nongkhai for confirmation, and the reply said nothing about sending me to Chaeng Wattana. When something that seems to make no sense happens, it pays dividends to remain polite and asked to be passed up the chain of command.

I did go for years to Nong Khai and did never have to show a verification too.

Renewed my retirement visa two weeks ago at Chaeng Wattana BKK. There was a bump because the bank's letter of my 800K deposit was dated a few days later than the last entry in my passbook. I was sent downstairs to the bank's branch to deposit 100 baht so that the last entry date in my passbook would be closer to my letter's (next day, really).

I advise to withdraw or deposit money in the passbook account the same day as you request the bank's letter so the dates will jive.

I thought I was getting the hang of this whole visa thing...

I want to apply for a retirement visa - I'm here on a 'B' which runs out in Jan 2010, but I will do a turnaround and get one last 90 day extension.

I thought I needed to have the money in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to applying, but I see from 'thaiphoon' its 2 months for the first application - thanks for clearing that one up. If I get the money moved here quickly I can apply at the end of Jan or Feb 2010.

A couple of questions;

How long (assuming no problems) from walking into Immigration to getting the visa, and the coveted date stamp? I know these are 'ball park figures' - I see the caveats about each experience being different - but is it days or weeks or what?

I thought I present my Thai bank passbook, showing enough funds for the correct period - but I need a letter from the bank as well?

Thai gf and myself are planning on getting married, probably Jan 2010 - does that make any difference to my application ? - does it confuse the issue for Immigration?

I'm trying to avoid running out of time on the (last) visa extension, before I get the retirement one - if that were to happen I assume they will send me home to wait.

Interesting reading all the contributions to the original OP - very informative.

Yes a letter from the bank is needed if using the 800,000 Baht in the bank.

Also an updated bank book showing the same balance.

The decision is instant. So could be a few minutes or half a day depending on where you apply and how busy they are.

If applying based on having a Thai Wife , you only need 400,000 Baht in the bank. The extension stamp is usually issued 30 days after application.

If you have 800,000 Baht in the bank they will push you towards retirement as it means less work for them.

If there is a God in Heaven, may He/She bless the new Khon Kaen Office and its nice (lady) Director.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi "jazzbo" -

there's indeed God/Buddha in heaven to look after us the foreigners in Khon Kaen city & province

plus Chaiyaphum province. Her name & rank/title is : ( Pol) Major Rapeephat Yoseph - Inspector of Immigration.

Her grandpa is DR. Yoseph ( Thai Citizen ofcourse ) but I don't know further details.

Office ph= 043 465242. located on the grounds of Police school ( 200 m past intersection with SriNakarin hospital

& turnoff to Khon Kaen university ) - that's the Highway from KKN northbound to Udon Thani.

If somebody have a map & better description, please post.

Be POLITE to her and your stay in this province will be blessed with good memories on trips to her office for

90 days report & extension of any type of visas. Be a pain in the butt and you wish you have shipped out back to

your old country or another S.E.Asian country. Christmas is coming soon - don't forget to drop in to say hello

and show your/yer spouse's face, and whatever you used to do back home at Christmas time.

May you have a nice memories visiting Khon Kaen Immigration branch.

kg1947.

The officer said it would be acceptable for original affidavits from embassies to be bi-lingual, and you can bet your bippy mine will be bi-lingual next year.

And you can bet your bippy it will cost a dam_n sight more than 400 baht.

Thank you Kuhn KG -- I have been to the Khon Kaen Immigration Police Office twice now and on the first trip did indeed meet the good (Pol) Major and thanked her after she personally approved my Extension of Stay... but, then again, as you say, all my papers were in order and I brought the embossed original document from the US Embassy roving Consul. On each trip there was a non-Thai Westerner who was not so lucky and not so approved by (Pol) Major's associates.

I say 'westerner' because on each trip the majority of persons there were either Lao, Myanmar, other Asian, or ethnic-Thai citizens of the USA... Also since no more trips (I hope) to either Nong Khai or Suan Phlu/CW in BKK, I like your idea about a pre-Christmas visit... I have now lived in the KK environs for almost 6 years and did volunteer work here on several occasions for 2 years prior to that... mostly all good memories so far.

And you can bet your bippy it will cost a dam_n sight more than 400 baht.

I made it, myself, though your right it will cost more that 400 baht to get the American consul to put his seal to it. Here's what I wrote:

Embassy of the United States of America

สถานเอกอัครราชทูตแห่งสหรัฐอเมริกา

Bangkok, Thailand

กรุงเทพฯ, ประเทศไทย

Commissioner

ท่านผู้บัญชาการ

Immigration Bureau

สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง

Bangkok, Thailand

กรุงเทพฯ ประเทศไทย

Dear Sir/Madam:

เรียนท่านที่นับถือ

I, ________________________________, an American citizen born on ______________

ข้าพเจ้า _____________________________บุคคลสัญชาติอเมริกัน เกิดเมื่อวันที่ ___________________

at ______________________, am the holder of U.S. passport number _______________

ที่ _________________________________ ข้าพเจ้าถือหนังสือเดินทางสหรัฐฯเลขที่ __________________________

issued at ____________________ on ___________________, which expires on ___________________.

ออกให้ที่ ___________________. เมื่อวันที่ _______________ _ และหมดอายุวันที่ ___________________

I, _________________________________, affirm that I reside at _____________________ ข้าพเจ้า _____________________________ ขอรับรองว่า ข้าพเจ้าอาศัยอยู่ที่__________________

Lane/road__________, Tambon__________, Amphoe__________, Province__________

ซอย/ถนน_____ _ ___ _ ตำบล__________ _ อำเภอ__________ _ จังหวัด ________________

I also affirm that I receive in amount of US$_______ every month from the United States

ข้าพเจ้าขอรับรองอีกว่า ข้าพเจ้าได้รับเงินจำนวน _________เหรียญสหรัฐฯ เป็นประจำทุกเดือนจากรัฐบาล

Government and/or other sources. I am applying for an extension of a current Thai visa

สหรัฐอเมริกา และ/หรือ จากแหล่งอื่นๆ ข้าพเจ้ากำลังยื่นขอต่ออายุวีซ่าไทยที่มีอยู่ในปัจจุบันนี้

and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

การช่วยเหลือใดๆ ที่ท่านมอบให้แก่ข้าพเจ้าในการขอครั้งนี้จักถือเป็นพระคุณอย่างยิ่ง

Subscribed and sworn to before me this ___________________________

ลงลายมือชื่อและสาบานตนต่อหน้าข้าพเจ้า