New Audio Cable - Faulty?

Morbius

Yesterday, I purchased an audio cable (stereo, 2x RCA-RCA, 10 m long) to connect my speakers to my amplifier. My speakers are a few meters away from the amplifier, but I have to follow the walls in the room if I want to make this cable as little visible as possible. This is why I purchased a 10 m cable. After I made the connections, I was surprised to hear a significantly poorer sound quality than with my previous 4 m cable: the volume is lower, and the dynamic sounds poorer to.

Am I using a cable which is too long? Or is the new cable faulty?

I guess I have not been with it for too long if you are using RCA plugs on audio cable these days. Are you sure it is made for audio (wire large like lamp cord?). In my stereo days regular ac zip cord was as good as anything for speakers. And as said never make it any longer than needed.

it's probably not speaker cable at all. There's a big difference between mic level and speaker level.

Think of it as trying to tow a car with a piece of string...

Agree, you need "speaker cables" to wire up speakers. Over a short difference the loss of quality might not be too noticable, but over 10metres you can bet your arse that you will notice it.

Edited by TizMe

Let me elaborate as I think I might have not given enough details in my initial posting.

The audio system I have is a multimedia speaker system. It comprises a subwoofer with built-in amplifier, and 4 satellite speakers. It is typically the kind of systems designed to be connected to a computer sound card.

Each satellite speaker connects to the subwoofer with a RCA cable, and what I was trying to do is to extend the length between 2 of the satellite speakers and the subwoofer base with this audio cable. Both the plugs on the subwoofer base and the satellite speakers are RCA, which is why I opted for an RCA extension cable.

So, what some of you say is that there is nothing wrong with my cable. It is simply too long. If this is the case, I could shorten it as I do not need the entire 10 meters. But, would someone know how to determine the maximum cable length there should be between the subwoofer/amplifier and the speakers, so that I can cut appropriately?

......But, would someone know how to determine the maximum cable length there should be between the subwoofer/amplifier and the speakers, so that I can cut appropriately?

There is no magic cable length, but rather cable size and impedeance (resistance) which effects conductivity (the ability to deliver voltage|current over a given distance).

Your problem may be the actual size and type of cable your using, not just length.

All wire has an impedance factor. As the term implies, any current|voltage traveling through this wire is "impeded" by resistance factors of the wire, its size, composition and length. Length becomes a factor when a specific current and voltage must be delivered over a long distance.

Wire size is generally expressed using the term "gauge". The higher the gauge number, the smaller the wire. The wire from your automobile battery to the starter is probably in the 4 to 6 gauge category (very heavy) as the starter requires a lot of current when running. The wire on your table lamp is likely in the 16-18 gauge range, relatively small. The wire in your walkman's earphones...... probably in the 28-30 gauge range (very small).

Before I put everybody to sleep.......I would suggest you try a larger gauge speaker cable on your installatiion. The gauge is normally printed on the cable itself, so if what your currently using is something like 22 gauge, try 18 or 20 gauge. If it's 18 or 22, try 16 gauge. If your an audiophile, you may also wish to try and find "oxygen-free" cable, which has less impedance (resistance) than standard copper wire.

Finally, the wire from your amplifier should not be shielded, however wires from most input devices to the amplifier (CD, phonograph, tuners, etc.) should be shielded, to reduce hum and other electrical interference.

good luck :o