Thai Nuclear Power Plant Faces Strong Resistance

george

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other countries, mainly the more developed countries are considering (and doing it already) the pullout from nuclear energy,

Of course it is (a few) developed countries doing this.

First, they have money to waste on inefficient and expensive technologies like solar, wind and wave.

Second, they have a large contingent of global warming bed-wetters who think that anything less than a return to natural technologies means disaster for us all.

On the other hand, China already has 11 nuclear power plants, is currently building 15 more, has 18 more in the planning stage, and eventually expects to have 80 up and running.

As for developed nations, France has slowed its building plans, but that is partly because it already has 59 operating nuclear plants producing 76% of its electricity.

Anyone who opposes nuclear power is on the wrong side of history.

Well, if the Thai government paid foreign scientists/engineers, from Germany or Canada for example, to build, run, and maintain the plant, I am all for it. The amount of pollution that would go away (from burning coal) would be amazing. Although, I think that if Thailand wants to cut down on pollution... they should do something about trucks, buses and motorcycles that billow out that lovely black smoke.

I'm for it I guess, but I have my doubts.

Of course this is a joke, and is being made to draw attention to how modern the country is, so that more familes world-wide will want to vacation here in the future. Plus the members of the U.S. Congress might hear about this and provide an AID package with money they don't really have. This makes so much cents. :)

Most of the falung that are so against nuclear power here form their opinions purely on racism; even though the plant would probably be built by an experienced company like siemens, just the fact that Thai people would be working there is enough to be against it.

I'm glad these people are against it, this would be a good time for you people to leave, it's too dangerous here.

keep in mind for the average farang that hangs around the bar scene here-the only thai's he has contact with are the poorest rural thais who would be willing to entertain them- so they think that is what all thai people are like and they look down on the whole country.. but at the same time they insist on living here because living in their country sucks, i should know-i'm from the US and it sucks there..

we don't worry about nuclear power there even though most of the plants are old and run down, far inferior to what they are planning on building here, as is the airports in the US, and the public transportation.. here i been riding the bts and mrt for years and it's never malfunctioned or stalled in my experience.. when i lived in LA i used to ride this thing called the 'blue line' and omfg what a peice of sht, it had this nausiating smell, would troll into traffic instead of staying on an elevated track, it was slow and would often break down, once i got stuck in downtown la with everyone else that had used it to commute because the whole thing failed, another time the motor on the train in front of us caught fire and the people in it had to be evacuated off the elevated track, and we in the car behind (and every other train behind) got stuck in the train for 90minutes until they could get the damaged car towed away.. and yet no one worries about nuclear power there even though it's the same incompetence that would be a public works project there, if the trains are so lousy how could we operate a nuke plant..

i feel much safer with a nuke plant here than i would with san onofre in s.cal.

Edited by pkspeaker

Most of the falung rejects that are so against nuclear power here form their opinions purely on racism; even though the plant would probably be built by an experienced company like siemens, just the fact that Thai people would be working there is enough to be against it.

I'm glad these people are against it, this would be a good time for you people to leave, it's too dangerous here, goodbye

keep in mind for the average fat,stupid, socially inadequate falung that hangs around the bar scene here-the only thai's he has contact with are the poorest rural thais who would be willing to entertain them- so they think that is what all thai people are like and they look down on the whole country.. but at the same time they insist on living here because living in their country sucks, i should know-i'm from the US and it sucks there..

Fantastic! .. excellent portrayal of the "long time expat who hates all the others" ... Great satire! Please write more .. seriously!

Ask the residents of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Three Mile Island, or Chernobyl if nuclear power is dangerous or 'non-polluting'! Thailand should be leading SE Asia in the inevitable move toward "Green Power"...sun, wind, thermal (if available), and especially massive planting of hemp! Growing and processing hemp plants could supply cheap fuel, revive the economy with foreign sales, has over 35 substantial commercial uses for local needs (such a fibers for ropes, clothes, construction materials, and is good for the soil), grows without the need for pesticides & chemical fertilizers, etc. Unfortunately, however, the greedy power-mongers (even Thailand has them) can't make as much money off cheaper, practical solutions that would help spread a little of the potential wealth of meeting non-polluting power demands of the future.

This is one protest we ALL need to support---politely & by invitation, of course! I live here (8 yrs. now) and would love to see the Thais show some foresight about going GREEN for energy and solve most of the air pollution, garbage dumping, and widespread lack of meaningful jobs & wages! It could be so easy if the authorities would get over the American-exported paranoia about growing hemp; even though hemp has no THC to get you high like ganja (which should be grown also). The U.S. is so screwed up that it has to import hemp products from other countries! Might as well provide them with another booming market supplier...

Ciao, Paul

Actually they are already growing a plant in the hemp family called Kenaf here in Thailand. Most of the farmers grow it for the bast (bark) of the plant to sell to bag and rope companies. We are now buying this from them and using 100% of the plant. Your idea of using it for a fuel source will work, however the qty needed per day to generate any substantial amount of power it extremely high minimum 800 tons a day and since no fertilizer is being used and they don't plant properly the yields are very less than 1 ton per rai. Sorry off topic, just wanted to let you know this is being done in Thailand, just small scale.

As for the power plant... Well they build it, it should be the last nail for all expat to move out.

Go Seminoles!!!!

Ask the residents of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Three Mile Island, or Chernobyl if nuclear power is dangerous or 'non-polluting'! Thailand should be leading SE Asia in the inevitable move toward "Green Power"...sun, wind, thermal (if available), and especially massive planting of hemp! Growing and processing hemp plants could supply cheap fuel, revive the economy with foreign sales, has over 35 substantial commercial uses for local needs (such a fibers for ropes, clothes, construction materials, and is good for the soil), grows without the need for pesticides & chemical fertilizers, etc. Unfortunately, however, the greedy power-mongers (even Thailand has them) can't make as much money off cheaper, practical solutions that would help spread a little of the potential wealth of meeting non-polluting power demands of the future.

This is one protest we ALL need to support---politely & by invitation, of course! I live here (8 yrs. now) and would love to see the Thais show some foresight about going GREEN for energy and solve most of the air pollution, garbage dumping, and widespread lack of meaningful jobs & wages! It could be so easy if the authorities would get over the American-exported paranoia about growing hemp; even though hemp has no THC to get you high like ganja (which should be grown also). The U.S. is so screwed up that it has to import hemp products from other countries! Might as well provide them with another booming market supplier...

Ciao, Paul

Nothing burns cleaner than natural gas. All that you have stated are great sources of energy. Coal is the biggest polluter in the world. Unfortunately there is too much of it and processing it is cheap. No country will ever allow the legal planting and harvesting of hemp. Too much money to be made by too many to ever legalise it in any way. In Mexico alone millions of people profit in one way or another from marijuana being illegal. More get rich than die in drug cartel gun battles. Here in Phuket people throw trash wherever they are. I have seen business employees dumping their garbage into the klongs beside their restaurants. Thailand has no laws against making the highways, roads and klongs garbage dumps. All of this sewer washes right into the Andaman Sea. Never have I heard one Thai speak out against this pollution. Cast a line in any klong on Phuket, reel it in and you will have two or three plastic bags on your hook. How can you stop it if even the always talking politicians will not even discuss it?

16 places listed for establishing a nuclear plant

Anyone have a list of the 16 places?

It needs built near the sea for cooling purposes, and Chonburi is one of the preferred places being talked about. To much trouble with terrorism down south for a nuclear powerplant.

Ciao, Paul

Nothing burns cleaner than natural gas. All that you have stated are great sources of energy. Coal is the biggest polluter in the world. Unfortunately there is too much of it and processing it is cheap. No country will ever allow the legal planting and harvesting of hemp. Too much money to be made by too many to ever legalise it in any way. In Mexico alone millions of people profit in one way or another from marijuana being illegal. More get rich than die in drug cartel gun battles. Here in Phuket people throw trash wherever they are. I have seen business employees dumping their garbage into the klongs beside their restaurants. Thailand has no laws against making the highways, roads and klongs garbage dumps. All of this sewer washes right into the Andaman Sea. Never have I heard one Thai speak out against this pollution. Cast a line in any klong on Phuket, reel it in and you will have two or three plastic bags on your hook. How can you stop it if even the always talking politicians will not even discuss it?

Dude, Hemp and marijuana are not the same thing. they come from the same plant family but hemp is a useful crop, marijuana is a drug. Hemp can be used as fuel source, but the costs are high to produce 1 Mw of power due to the amount of hemp needed to produce this. You are better off using the rice husks to produce power due to the intense growing of rice already being done in Thailand. however only a few rice mills use the rice husks in Thailand to produce their own power needs. Several reasons why rice husk nor hemp could be used as a steady fuel source as both are seasonal, the hemp can be grown year round in Thailand, but most hemp being grown in Thailand is done in between rice corps, and actually the plant that is being grown here is in the canbis family they are really growing Kenaf or roselle which are primarily being grown for their bast to produce bag, rope and other fibers. As for coal with the new technologies such as using a plasma torch, scrubbers, ceramic filters etc it can be used and be just as clean as any other fuel.

Nuclear power is clean and cheap, however it is not ready to be used in Thailand.

Wonder if they will consider the newer "golf ball" style nuclear plants, or simply go with the same 40 year old technology with domes, spent rods, etc... Saw an interesting article on this newer approach last year, that might be a nuclear technology the Thai's could handle. Sort of...

Wonder if they will consider the newer "golf ball" style nuclear plants, or simply go with the same 40 year old technology with domes, spent rods, etc... Saw an interesting article on this newer approach last year, that might be a nuclear technology the Thai's could handle. Sort of...

Yeah, I posted some of the articles about pebble bed reactors earlier in the thread I guess you missed it. Simple (important here) safe, and clean. Still in the development stages though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor

http://pebblebedreactor.blogspot.com

http://www.eskom.co.za/nuclear_energy/pebb...pebble_bed.html

Edited by Scubabuddha

Surprising how much ignorance there is regarding renewable energy and in particular nuclear power. Thailand, along with many other countries will have to consider the contingency of using nuclear energy in the future. Wind power, how much wind is there in Thailand? Solar is a perfect source, yet it hasn't really been used much here. Nuclear power is a good answer to a global problem. Any contract will be tendered to Western companies. I fail to see the problem if the plant is built and maintained properly..

It's you who is ignorant. I once read a German report about the dangers of nuclear power plants (short version of the original 1000 page document) and is was mind boggling. The nuclear industry sent two lawyers against the publisher to refute them, but both of them turned against nuclear power after investigating the report and finding it to be true.

Surprising how much ignorance there is regarding renewable energy and in particular nuclear power. Thailand, along with many other countries will have to consider the contingency of using nuclear energy in the future. Wind power, how much wind is there in Thailand? Solar is a perfect source, yet it hasn't really been used much here. Nuclear power is a good answer to a global problem. Any contract will be tendered to Western companies. I fail to see the problem if the plant is built and maintained properly..

It's you who is ignorant. I once read a German report about the dangers of nuclear power plants (short version of the original 1000 page document) and is was mind boggling. The nuclear industry sent two lawyers against the publisher to refute them, but both of them turned against nuclear power after investigating the report and finding it to be true.

Ok who is really ignorant, out of all the nuclear power plants in the world operating over the years how many people have died?

30 people and this was from chernobyl disaster. Now how many people die each year from mining coal? hundreds? There have only been a few incidents with nuclear power plants, Three mile nobody was injured and nobody got anymore radiation than what you get from an x-ray. chernobyl disaster happened when Russia was falling apart, no money, corrportion and people that did not care about anything. Now I'm not saying Nuclear Power is right for Thailand, because it's not ready for such a responsibility for the same reasons Russia had a problem. I do believe Nuclear power is a very good source for power and is safer, people never think about coal power plants being dangerous as they don't think about the coal miners and don't consider they lives lost as a direct relation to generating power, but if we didn't need coal for power we wouldn't have coal miners dying.

As for wind power in Thailand there are several projects already completed and more being implemented but wind power in Thailand is very limited due to low wind currents. Solar is still a good source, but costs are still high. Solar is being used in remote parts of Thailand where there is no electrical connections to grids, but this is still only a small amount.

We have promoted waste to energy power plants in Thailand, but no government people want to hear about it as it's not enough money in for them. Until Thailand's government really starts caring about the people and not their pockets they are going to keep focusing on Nuclear power as this is a big dollar project and allot of money to go around, which will end up in cutting corners and will result in a poorly built plant that will only be a time bomb waiting to go off.

Ok who is really ignorant, out of all the nuclear power plants in the world operating over the years how many people have died?

30 people and this was from chernobyl disaster....

Three mile nobody was injured and nobody got anymore radiation....

chernobyl disaster happened when Russia was falling apart, no money, corrportion and people that did not care about anything.

ericthai

i was just wondering.... just where did you get your quotes from?

they are so far apart from the facts that we knew.... i could still recall when management from the nuclear plants at three mile came out and told everyone on the news that the circumstances were under controlled and that there was no imminent danger.... and that the plant would be back to normal in a few days.... i was there in person listening to those endless fabrications....

you are not inferring that you have other additional irrefutable facts proven to the contrary to what actually happened, are you?

Edited by nakachalet

Although a "properly" built nuclear energy plants have an excellent safety record overall, all it takes is "one" misfire and you have a major disaster that will last for years. Just ask the Russians. And even in the U. S. we've had a few close calls. And in "properly built", I mean "NO SHORT CUTS". I give the Thai people a lot of credit sometimes but in this case, an impossible task in Thailand. And another great question has been raised, "where are they going to store the spent rods?" They haven't even considered that I would bet and that is not a little chore.

The technology is available but only a few countries that have it. And the real fact is "they" struggle with it and even hide some of the facts. I use to be for nuclear energy but Chernobyl changed my mind.

I think it's a great idea they can also build a couple of crematoriums there in that area

because it will save the need to have many Wat's for the people that will both on the

construction and after effects when the waste escapes like many others around the world

Thailand's safety control is very poor as it is .............

The amount of IGNORANCE on the actual technical and safety aspect of civilian nuclear power are staggering but not surprising for this forum.

"OMG IT"S NUCLEAR! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! RUN IT MUST BE VERY BAD!"

Educate yourself and stop waving around Chernobyl as some sort of valid or logical objection to nuclear power. Either that, or refuse to EVER fly again because one plane crashed , and oh BTW it hd the most unsafe design coupled with the worst operators imaginable.

The technology is proven safe and clean.

If one wanted to actually lodge logical (once again, a word not quite understood too often on this forum) concerns they would be with the Thai infrastructure of qualifed staff for administering and operating any plant.

Currently, The idea of a Thai Nuclear power plant is a huge nonstarter for multiple reasons including the current laws prohibiting farang from working as engineers. TBH, I haven't met a Thai engineer I would trust with the internal wiring in my home let alone anything as complex as a nuclear power plant.

When the Thai hyer education system actually starts teaching anything approaching critical thought and thus producing safe engineers, then perhaps they consider staffing a nuclear power plant.

chernobyl disaster happened when Russia was falling apart, no money, corrportion and people that did not care about anything.

ericthai

they are so far apart from the facts that we knew.... i could still recall when management from the nuclear plants at three mile came out and told everyone on the news that the circumstances were under controlled and that there was no imminent danger.... and that the plant would be back to normal in a few days.... i was there in person listening to those endless fabrications....

you are not inferring that you have other additional irrefutable facts proven to the contrary to what actually happened, are you?

The are irrefutable facts that prove the effect of the TMI incident was negligble to the community. Because you there does not make you an radiologicalcal or nuclear engineer. Verifying this takes minimal research.

Fabrications? Not sure which ones. Perhaps your memory recalls the ridiculous and inflammatory fabrications of Jane Fonda and "The China Syndrome" more than the actual boring facts.

ericthai

thank you Mellowyellow,

yes I do please check this out http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collecti...3mile-isle.html

which is the website for the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

you can also check here (wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

also here (EPA) http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/rert/tmi.html

But there are plenty of other people out their claiming these reports and studies are wrong, so it will be a never ending debate about TMI..

However my point was that Nuclear power is more safe than coal, do you dispute this too?

I wonder who will look after the QC of the materials used in the construction especially the concrete. Bet the contracts go to the main five and not to specialised firms in this type of construction.

Many examples already dot the country with substandard materials evidence during construction. It may be a little 'doomsday-ish' but this needs some serious consideration as to where and who will construct this or Chernobyl will pale into insignificance.

Edited by asiawatcher

Yes, I agree that I'm an ignoramus when it comes to nuclear reactors.

My concerns are not based on the safety of nuclear power plants, they are based on the Thai safety standards, that often just do not exist.

As somebody already posted, it is nearly impossible to find a competent Thai electrician. Even those that are supposed to be qualified will bypass a safety device to stop nuisance tripping of an RCD instead of actually considering and remedying the problem. They are quite happy to do substandard work and put their customers lives in danger.

One would hope that if this plan goes ahead that it would be considered an exception to the usual rules re using foreign engineers etc. The main thing should be that only experts in this field are allowed to work on any stage from design, construction and maintenance. As I doubt that any Thai experts exist, I would hope that foreigners will be allowed.

Although a "properly" built nuclear energy plants have an excellent safety record overall, all it takes is "one" misfire and you have a major disaster that will last for years. Just ask the Russians. And even in the U. S. we've had a few close calls. And in "properly built", I mean "NO SHORT CUTS". I give the Thai people a lot of credit sometimes but in this case, an impossible task in Thailand. And another great question has been raised, "where are they going to store the spent rods?" They haven't even considered that I would bet and that is not a little chore.

The technology is available but only a few countries that have it. And the real fact is "they" struggle with it and even hide some of the facts. I use to be for nuclear energy but Chernobyl changed my mind.

I think it's a great idea they can also build a couple of crematoriums there in that area

because it will save the need to have many Wat's for the people that will both on the

construction and after effects when the waste escapes like many others around the world

The amount of IGNORANCE on the actual technical and safety aspect of civilian nuclear power are staggering but not surprising for this forum.

Educate yourself and stop waving around Chernobyl as some sort of valid or logical objection to nuclear power. Either that, or refuse to EVER fly again because one plane crashed , and oh BTW it hd the most unsafe design coupled with the worst operators imaginable.

If one wanted to actually lodge logical (once again, a word not quite understood too often on this forum) concerns they would be with the Thai infrastructure of qualifed staff for administering and operating any plant.

Currently, The idea of a Thai Nuclear power plant is a huge nonstarter for multiple reasons including the current laws prohibiting farang from working as engineers. TBH, I haven't met a Thai engineer I would trust with the internal wiring in my home let alone anything as complex as a nuclear power plant.

When the Thai hyer education system actually starts teaching anything approaching critical thought and thus producing safe engineers, then perhaps they consider staffing a nuclear power plant.

It’s too bad your knowledge of nuclear plants and their safety does not extend to state of the engineering and construction business in Thailand. My self and several other members work in that business and I can tell you that there are a large number of world class facilities that have been engineered and constructed in Thailand over the past 15 years and are operated by Thais. If your only experience is watching a store being remodeled on Sukhumvit, then you best not speak about something you know nothing about, just as you say to people that know nothing about the nuclear plants and their safety.

Oh, and we currently employ some 30 expat engineers, that work with our 150 Thai ones.

TH

It’s too bad your knowledge of nuclear plants and their safety does not extend to state of the engineering and construction business in Thailand. My self and several other members work in that business and I can tell you that there are a large number of world class facilities that have been engineered and constructed in Thailand over the past 15 years and are operated by Thais. If your only experience is watching a store being remodeled on Sukhumvit, then you best not speak about something you know nothing about, just as you say to people that know nothing about the nuclear plants and their safety.

Oh, and we currently employ some 30 expat engineers, that work with our 150 Thai ones.

TH

Did you read what was said above, they all agree with what you are saying, that this should not be done in Thailand!!

All they were saying was Nuclear power is clean and safe, they did not say it was safe in Thailand. I believe we all know about how construction in Thailand is done.

as all ideas are interesting,the mandate supplied by the imf and the world bank,as part of the contractual agreement dealing with commerce cannot be side stepped.the well being and feelings of people involved mean nothing.

the force is strong with this one,not easy to fool.carry on banksters, i'm not that convinced.no kiss but bend over.lol.

TH

Did you read what was said above, they all agree with what you are saying, that this should not be done in Thailand!!

All they were saying was Nuclear power is clean and safe, they did not say it was safe in Thailand. I believe we all know about how construction in Thailand is done.

Your reading comprehension needs some improvement.

I am saying that from my 10+ years experience in industrial engineering and construction in Thailand, that there is no reason why a fully safe nuclear plant could not built and operated here.

I don’t think you or most everyone else here knows anything about industrial construction in Thailand.

:)

TH

I agree with Animatic,otherwise an international ,preferably European consultancy group should be brought in for construction & implementation phases.

I'm sure America/Canada could help if approached .

That is a fine idea, but Nuclear power plants need a lot of upkeep. People need to be diligent in the execution of their assigned tasks, ie. they can not be lazy, they must be thorough, and mai penrai should never be allowed. I do not see this happening in Thailand! Before we have the day-glow yellow and red shirts this idea needs to be halted.