Warning: ***** Electronics

basjke

This is a topic about the thieving practices at ***** Electronics in Thailand.

The other day I was at their Pattaya branch and noticed that they had a Samsung 52" lcd tv on display for 75.000 Baht.I asked them if this was a new item and they confirmed to me that it was.However on further inspection I noticed that the sticker with the model and serial number on the backside of the panel was missing.On my inquiry about this I was told that it happened while cleaning the tv but that the item was new.As they had only 1 tv on display they advised me to go to their Sriracha branch where they had different tv's for sale.So up I went to Sriracha and indeed they had several lcd's and plasma's on display,all Samsung.I asked the sales representative if the items were new and he assured me that it was so.I inspected also these tv's and noticed that they ALL had the sticker on the backside removed.This could not be coincidence anymore.On my question about the warranty they told me that there was none.

So this made me very curious and I started to give the tv's a better inspection.

Then I noticed that the all the tv frames had scratches so they couldn't be new,but what I further found out was really inconceivable.All the tv's they were selling were labeled as 1 type higher.For example they had 2 Samsung which they labeled as 50" series 5 but in fact it were the serie 4 which has lower spec and is about 10.000 baht cheaper.They had a 52" samsung lcd which they labeled as serie 7 but in reality it was a serie 6.

So in fact all the tv's were upgraded on the label to sell them more expensive.

I got very upset at this point and asked them for an explanation.Of course they said they didn't know about his.

So I start making a scene in the shop as it was pretty clear that this was a setup.At that point a policeman in uniform walks into the shop and for sure he hears the commotion and comes to the section where the tv's are on display.I start talking to him but at that point all the labels on the tv's are removed in just a second so I have no leg to stand on and make my point.The policeman talks with the sales person but I understand that I have no case anymore without the labels on the tv's so I walk out of the shop.

Today I was in the shop again and saw that all the labels are back on the diplays,with the wrong type numbers written on it.

So this is realy stealing from the customers with the intention to do so.I assume that if something similar would happen in another country that would be the last minute that the shop would be open.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact Samsung

That might be a good idea,however they will probably do the same as when the policeman came on the spot and remove the labels within a second.Other thing I consider is that someone with samsung might be involved as they have several tv's from the same type number and they could even order them.So they must have a good source.

my question would be, "Are they real samsungs or a copy samsung?"

That is a good question,however I think this topic now has become useless since the name name removed here too is removed from the title.What is the point from this topic a when you can not warn people against thieving practices and the thieves in particular.

I understand your outrage, but you must realise that there is no effective consumer protection laws here, and most shops can do whatever they please and get away with it.

It is an extremely common practice here to sell "returned" and used goods as new, and then refuse to admit this and offer exchanges it when the product fails.

But not all stores adopt this practice - some are better than others, and here, more than anywhere, you must do your homework, find out if the warranties in a particular store are valid and honoured, check the reputation of the store, and certainly examine the product carefully, (as you did), before purchasing.

Here more than anywhere, 'caveat emptor' applies - let the buyer beware.

As for raising a stink in the store, well I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid. Even a Thai would have a hard job complaining about such behaviour, let alone a farang. You stand absolutely nil chance of getting anywhere, and you are simply wasting your time, subjecting yourself to unnecessary stress, and may even be putting yourself in danger. The whole system is utterly corrupt and lawless, and as a farang you are powerless.

If you find a place is trying ripping you off, then just walk away. It is better for your peace of mind and well being.

Edited by Mobi

Our Amorn shop here (not sure if the same company) is telling very clear that all their products come from doggy sources. They told us they mainly buy the old stock of bankrupt companies or slightly damaged products from the big chains.

We bought 2 aircons their and one fridge with a slight damage on the side. Everything with a warranty.

They claim that they are the cheapest but with often slightly damaged products.

I understand your outrage, but you must realise that there is no effective consumer protection laws here, and most shops can do whatever they please and get away with it.

It is an extremely common practice here to sell "returned" and used goods as new, and then refuse to admit this and offer exchanges it when the product fails.

But not all stores adopt this practice - some are better than others, and here, more than anywhere, you must do your homework, find out if the warranties in a particular store are valid and honoured, check the reputation of the store, and certainly examine the product carefully, (as you did), before purchasing.

Here more than anywhere, 'caveat emptor' applies - let the buyer beware.

As for raising a stink in the store, well I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid. Even a Thai would have a hard job complaining about such behaviour, let alone a farang. You stand absolutely nil chance of getting anywhere, and you are simply wasting your time, subjecting yourself to unnecessary stress, and may even be putting yourself in danger. The whole system is utterly corrupt and lawless, and as a farang you are powerless.

If you find a place is trying ripping you off, then just walk away. It is better for your peace of mind and well being.

Indeed it is up to the buyer to notice if there is damage on an item and also if he want to buy the item if there is no warranty provided.

However it is a criminal act if you advertise something that doesn't comply with discription.Not many people are able to see the difference between a Samsung serie 5 and serie 4.You must really know the excact visible differences.

What would you think if your BMW had in reality a smaller engine under the hood then what is written on the trunk and what you paid for?

Why is the OP so upset? He didn't receive any defective products, and he didn't pay any money. He should have walked out of the shop at the first inclination that something was amiss.

I am sure you must be joking.To you it is normal practice that a shop try to sell products which actually are not what they are advertised?

so ok if you ever need something give me a call I'm sure I have what you are looking for,or at least it will be labeled so.

Why is the OP so upset? He didn't receive any defective products, and he didn't pay any money. He should have walked out of the shop at the first inclination that something was amiss.

:)

I think the OP is quite valid in bringing this to peoples attention. I assumed that is what these type of boards are for. I guess though, if you live up your own ass most of the time you don't get to see whats going on around you. :D

Thats good info basjke - good bit of detective work you've done there, but without the retail outlets name not really much consumers can do - and it sounds like this is a national chain of shops(?).

Could you print up the retail outlets name for all to see please? (or forward it to me via private message and I'll print it up)

Go back (or to another one of there retail outlets) with a digital camera and get some pic's - send them off to some local hack (reporter) - will make nice copy for the media.

I am sure you must be joking.To you it is normal practice that a shop try to sell products which actually are not what they are advertised?

so ok if you ever need something give me a call I'm sure I have what you are looking for,or at least it will be labeled so.

Yeah, good job OP, its just another dodgy operator in my book, perhaps we would be better of focusing on where you could get good honest reliable service here in thailand, we might save on both printing and paper costs as the book on MR DODGY is certainly a big one.

Our Amorn shop here (not sure if the same company) is telling very clear that all their products come from doggy sources. They told us they mainly buy the old stock of bankrupt companies or slightly damaged products from the big chains.

We bought 2 aircons their and one fridge with a slight damage on the side. Everything with a warranty.

They claim that they are the cheapest but with often slightly damaged products.

Probably the same company but you must be a case apart as these prctices were determined in 2 branches,I haven't been in any other but for sure it will be in every branch.

If you don't have the intention to cheat people then there is no point to remove the original labels and label them as something different.

\A mistake can happen but not on every item.And if it was a genuine mistake they wouldn't have been in such hurry to remove the labels when it got the attention of the cop.

Thats the attitude, you wait for the bus to run you over before you take action about it :) .

Do you work for this mob hhgz?

"am sure you must be joking.To you it is normal practice that a shop try to sell products which actually are not what they are advertised?"

Not at all. However, refusing to leave a shop and to rant and rave, forcing the store personnel to call a policeman and get yourself forcibly removed from the premises is not an intelligent thing to do. As I posted, he should have left immediately. A simple, "I went to Dingaling Electronics in Pantip Plaze (3rd floor, near the escalator) and they were selling used goods with the model and serial number plates removed", would have been sufficient.

Good to know! They might be "backdoor" supplied, wasn't there something in the papers recently about Samsung planning to expand their market in Thailand? They wanted to be the main name brand for everything, so they were planning on increasing their production facilities to bypass tariffs. Maybe these came from the factory by a less than legal means, and I'm sure Samsung would be interested to hear about it.

"I went to Dingaling Electronics in Pantip Plaze ....".

Never heard of that place before, but that actually sounds more like the sort of place you would be working in.

Howbout this hhgz, you seem to be critical of Basjke and the way he posted his story, Ive got an idea, why dont you let him do it his way and you can do it yours. Sound fair?

"am sure you must be joking.To you it is normal practice that a shop try to sell products which actually are not what they are advertised?"

Not at all. However, refusing to leave a shop and to rant and rave, forcing the store personnel to call a policeman and get yourself forcibly removed from the premises is not an intelligent thing to do. As I posted, he should have left immediately. A simple, "I went to Dingaling Electronics in Pantip Plaze (3rd floor, near the escalator) and they were selling used goods with the model and serial number plates removed", would have been sufficient.

Excuse me mister apologist.It is from your last post clear that you are not only stupid but blind as well because you should first read before you reply.

First of all I said that a cop walked into the shop,not that the staff called one,and that the staff couldn't be quick enough to remove the bogus labels.

Secondly,it is not a case of removing the model numbers but adding a FAKE model number to the item so it can be sold at a higher price.

Now go back to your chang.

I don't believe the OP ranted and raved, but certainly you have outed yourself as a first class apologist.

Since the name of the shop is removed several times already as per forum rules,what is the point of a forum again,I think it is legal to post that the thieving shop in question has branches in almost every IT center and has a Red Coloured sign board with the name in white.

I have to add that they are not present in Pantip but in Fortune tower they are.

Edit:or is it white with red letters?

Edited by basjke