Are Some Bar Owners Plain Stupid ?

William Osborne

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Bangkok, everyone does it. Nowadays happy hour is almost all day and most of the evening. Add to that the proud bar owners giving away food and drinks to all of their new, suddenly acquired "buddies" and you can see why most bars have such a rapid turnover.

Only problem is that at happy hour the prices are still higher then the during regular hours in Pattaya.

I had a beer last week in an aussie bar in soi nana and during happy hour a sm-light was 75 baht (non- HH 95 Baht).Guess your bar would be burned down on TV if you even considered such prices in Pattaya.

I guess at the end of the day each to there own.I do think there are to many tights <deleted> around though.

Plenty of petty whingers about, though. :)

I aint one of them so hopefully you are not directing that at me. The tight arse comments are only jokes not intended as something else,some people need to lighten up.If people like to sit in cheap bars all day and drink cheap beer then up to them as long as they are happy,same goes for the people who drink in more expensive establishments.As far as the whole bar owner topic goes,yes many are stupid and dont have a clue how to run a bar.

Edited by Dpolenz

The beauty of Pattaya when it comes to bars - is that there are plenty to choose from, if the price at one does not suit you, move on!!

Different bars have different operating costs and overheads depending on their location, staff etc, it would be rather boring if they were all the same and charging all the same!

Look around, i am sure you will find a price range to suit you rather than labelling "Some bar owners plain stupid" :)

The beauty of Pattaya when it comes to bars - is that there are plenty to choose from, if the price at one does not suit you, move on!!

Different bars have different operating costs and overheads depending on their location, staff etc, it would be rather boring if they were all the same and charging all the same!

Look around, i am sure you will find a price range to suit you rather than labelling "Some bar owners plain stupid" :)

Some bar owners dont really care if they make a profit and are happy just to break even because they already have enough money in the bank not to worry about it,a hobby for some to keep them occupied.

FYI there is a general rule of thumb for running bars and / or restaurants. Food must make approximately 200% profit. Drinks 300%. Anyone who breaks this rule will go under. Period.

Michaelaways idea would bankrupt the place very quickly.

William Osborne has obviously never run a business at all.

Pattaya parent - the first scenario means that one member of staff would be needed. The second would require you to work yours and your staff's balls off, and have no money at the end of the month to pay the salaries.

Are those really the figures........200% and 300% profit? I would have thought 100% and 200% mark up would be more reasonable, i.e. 100 Baht worth of food selling for 200 Baht and a 25 Baht beer going for 75 Baht. If it really is your figures it's no wonder I spend so much time eating at home with a 7-11 Chang!

The Cheap Charlie bars in Pattaya are merely an extension of the scruffy, washed up old drunks that drink in the likes of Witherspoon's in the UK.

Roll your own tobacco, a beer to last you an hour and the horse racing page open of a daily tabloid is the order of the day.

If you are an alcoholic drunk and drink all day every day then I could see why one would look for the Cheap Charlie doss bars. Then again, if one ventures out once or twice a week for a tipple or two like any other civilised person in the world then who cares what a beer costs?

Even the Thai girls pay 120 in some places in Walking Street, that says it all.

BTW, ever been to Singapore? At 15-20 Singapore dollars a bottle, it makes the 65 baht a bottle beer bars, seem like a steal.

I like this post.

Supply and demand, Why pay more when there is no need , Why not drink as cheap Charlie's , and give the different to some good cause . like Pattaya orphanage, but then again your money , same as my money

Nothing wrong with it at all. It is a blessing that there are such establishments to keep that particular clientele, segregated, from the other bars and people.

Once word gets around that another Cheap Chalrie bar has opened the migration of Pattayas wilder-beast begins, herds of Singha vest wearing slobs majestically sweep towards there new watering hole to waltz with the wenches and swap tales about how rich they are back in never never land.

Many of them claim to be millionaires but none of them own anything but slum it in a rented 5000 baht a month room a rented Honda Wave from Beach Road and a dress code fit for Jim Royle.

Supply and demand, Why pay more when there is no need , Why not drink as cheap Charlie's , and give the different to some good cause . like Pattaya orphanage, but then again your money , same as my money

Nothing wrong with it at all. It is a blessing that there are such establishments to keep that particular clientele, segregated, from the other bars and people.

Once word gets around that another Cheap Chalrie bar has opened the migration of Pattayas wilder-beast begins, herds of Singha vest wearing slobs majestically sweep towards there new watering hole to waltz with the wenches and swap tales about how rich they are back in never never land.

Many of them claim to be millionaires but none of them own anything but slum it in a rented 5000 baht a month room a rented Honda Wave from Beach Road and a dress code fit for Jim Royle.

Surely the best 2 opening posts by any recent new member to Thaivisa.

Sentiments expressed may be unpopular with many though. Wait for the onslaught.

The Cheap Charlie bars in Pattaya are merely an extension of the scruffy, washed up old drunks that drink in the likes of Witherspoon's in the UK.

Roll your own tobacco, a beer to last you an hour and the horse racing page open of a daily tabloid is the order of the day.

If you are an alcoholic drunk and drink all day every day then I could see why one would look for the Cheap Charlie doss bars. Then again, if one ventures out once or twice a week for a tipple or two like any other civilised person in the world then who cares what a beer costs?

BTW, ever been to Singapore? At 15-20 Singapore dollars a bottle, it makes the 65 baht a bottle beer bars, seem like a steal.

I like this post.

Me too.

:)

Anyone who opens a beer bar in Pattaya is an idiot

Or as pimp. The usual way to make money.

Well all beer and gogo bar owners are glorified pimps

But there are a few of us Bar/Club owners that know how to look after customers, keep them happy, and make money without going to the extremes of charging 45/50 baht for a beer that costs around 30 baht at wholesale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As well as that why would I wanted a drunken cheap charlie slob in the bar in the afternoons trying to put the world to rights or telling me of his exploits in the Special forces drinking Leo/Chang/Singha........... when running the bars and clubs my way I make a good living (even in the current climate) and there is a mutual respect between customer and bar owner.

Selling 100 bottles of beer to make less than 1000 baht after you take in to account the costs of chilling the beer, bar costs etc is not my idea of fun.

Happy Days

VM

Was just thinking about Dpol's point. Of the bar owners I know I think about 80% don't need to make a profit. As long as the bar doesn't lose money or not that much they are happy. Its either just the idea of drinking in their own place or something to keep the misses busy.

I did ask one owner why he didn't do a happy hour and he said and I quote 'because it attracts <deleted>'

Was just thinking about Dpol's point. Of the bar owners I know I think about 80% don't need to make a profit. As long as the bar doesn't lose money or not that much they are happy. Its either just the idea of drinking in their own place or something to keep the misses busy.

I did ask one owner why he didn't do a happy hour and he said and I quote 'because it attracts <deleted>'

lol :)

Of course,didn't you know that the majority of bar owners in Pattaya are actually Millionares in their homecountry who do this business just for fun.Same as the majority of their customers are ex-sas.

I like this post.

Me too.

:)

I also

Of course,didn't you know that the majority of bar owners in Pattaya are actually Millionares in their homecountry who do this business just for fun.Same as the majority of their customers are ex-sas.

:):D

The majority are obviously not Millionaires in there home country and are not ex astronauts excetra but not everyone here is broke/liar,i know plenty of people who run bars here that are financially well off and only run a bar here as a hobby,maybe you are a tad bit cynical.

The majority are obviously not Millionaires in there home country and are not ex astronauts excetra but not everyone here is broke/liar,i know plenty of people who run bars here that are financially well off and only run a bar here as a hobby,maybe you are a tad bit cynical.

And I know 3 millionaires here that only drink in happy hours.

a few here know what they're talking about and the others would go out of business very quickly or are probably in the process of, it's not just about drink prices it's location - being competative - offering something that reflects your prices - and ultimately if you have an empty bar you have got it all wrong.......simple

Hobby LOL so you don't think that there are glorified pimps

Hobby LOL so you don't think that there are glorified pimps

Is this what you mean??? :)

myspace-pimp-comments-3.gif