Second Hand Prices Seem High From Dealers

VespaSeeker

Hi ,

New to buying vehicles here , looking at a 2nd hand Izuzu pick up model - ISUZU D-MAX 08 3.0 i-TEQ VGS TURBO GOLD SERIES 3.0 MT from a dealer in bkk ,

Windscreen price 699,000 bt .

Price seems high to me and obviously will be from a Dealer , anybody know the new price for a truck like this and any ideas on how much discount can ask for , i was going to try for atleast 50,000bt ?? and being Manx i was going to try for free insurance too !!

Whats the chances ?

Sorry should mention its the Pearl white colour , i seen another thread saying this colour was a limited edition but still the price seems high as there are plenty other same model D-max's in different colours around the 599.000bt mark .

Edited by VespaSeeker

Go to ISUZU Thailand web site and look at new prices,with regards to extras it's always good to ask for it,The figures shows that new and used car sales in Thailand has dropped considerably,it's a buys market specially as we are approaching christmas.

If you are a cash buyer you should look around for a good deal.

Good luck

Go to ISUZU Thailand web site and look at new prices,with regards to extras it's always good to ask for it,The figures shows that new and used car sales in Thailand has dropped considerably,it's a buys market specially as we are approaching christmas.

Good luck

Thanks , do you have a link for the IZUZU site , only one i can find is all in Thai and no mention of prices

Good luck

Thanks , do you have a link for the IZUZU site , only one i can find is all in Thai and no mention of prices

Yes the once that I can find is also Thai,walk in to your local dealer.Have a look at Thai-Visa classifieds adds as well you might find a good used one.

Price seems high to me and obviously will be from a Dealer , anybody know the new price for a truck like this

The D-Max holds its value..

You did not say what model, but added it was in 'Pearl white' so take it that it's the Highlander, there are 2 specs both in Perl white and 'Gold Series' one 710,000 new in 2008 the other 738,000... This was the price in 2008 for the 2 door ext cab model... If it was the Rodeo then it was 772,500 in 2008... these are the only 2 door with the 3.0 VGS engine

If it is a 4 door Pearl white Highlander model pickup then the price was 808,000 in 2008....

Brand New now with the 3.0 VGS engine is the 2 door ext cab in Perl white 'Platinum' @ 721,500 or the one with more added options @ 768,500... The 4 door 'Pearl white' today cost 939,500............ Not sure why anyone would want a 4 door pickup at this price when the MU-7 starts at only 60,000 baht more.

Price seems high to me and obviously will be from a Dealer , anybody know the new price for a truck like this

You did not say what model, but added it was in 'Pearl white' so take it that it's the Highlander, there are 2 specs both in Perl white and 'Gold Series' one 710,000 new in 2008 the other 738,000... This was the price in 2008 for the 2 door ext cab model... If it was the Rodeo then it was 772,500 in 2008... these are the only 2 door with the 3.0 VGS engine

If it is a 4 door Pearl white Highlander model pickup then the price was 808,000 in 2008....

Brand New now with the 3.0 VGS engine is the 2 door ext cab in Perl white 'Platinum' @ 721,500 or the one with more added options @ 768,500... The 4 door 'Pearl white' today cost 939,500............ Not sure why anyone would want a 4 door pickup at this price when the MU-7 starts at only 60,000 baht more.

Moo 7 and 4 door Pick up are not the same. For some reason mayby someone want use a Pick Up Truck to load some stuff and have to possibility of 4 seatrs, just in case. In my opinion the Mu 7 looks not nice (design), but evertyone have different taste anyway. If you locking for a Isuzu or Toytota, you will pay very high used car prices, as thyey are "marked cars", where locals easly get finance. Dealers not really interested in selling cash, because the finance companie pays the dealer quite a nice commission for a 4 year finance, for example. So there is no bargain with cash in the pocked, ulness you buy a Ford, Chevrolet or a Mitsubishi Truck, wich is not really loved by the Thais. Buy a Chevrolet, much cheaper and basicly it's a Isuzu Truck, just a different Batch.

Moo 7 and 4 door Pick up are not the same. For some reason mayby someone want use a Pick Up Truck to load some stuff and have to possibility of 4 seatrs, just in case. In my opinion the Mu 7 looks not nice (design),

Yes but a normal 5 - 600,000 D-max will sit 4.... I mean a 4 door pickup @ 940,000 is crazy

If you locking for a Isuzu or Toytota, you will pay very high used car prices,

Yes but buy new you will still get a very good price when you sell.. I exchange the D-Max every 4 years, last year [May 2008] lost 200,000 in 4 yrs [bought new May 2004] + put over 400,000km on it

If your buying cash and 2nd hand then Yes much cheaper to buy Mazda, Ford, Chevrolet or a Mitsubishi Truck......... A 2 month old Tata I noticed the other day had lost 130,000 baht.

Edited by ignis

Moo 7 and 4 door Pick up are not the same. For some reason mayby someone want use a Pick Up Truck to load some stuff and have to possibility of 4 seatrs, just in case. In my opinion the Mu 7 looks not nice (design), but evertyone have different taste anyway. If you locking for a Isuzu or Toytota, you will pay very high used car prices, as thyey are "marked cars", where locals easly get finance. Dealers not really interested in selling cash, because the finance companie pays the dealer quite a nice commission for a 4 year finance, for example. So there is no bargain with cash in the pocked, ulness you buy a Ford, Chevrolet or a Mitsubishi Truck, wich is not really loved by the Thais. Buy a Chevrolet, much cheaper and basicly it's a Isuzu Truck, just a different Batch.

Cheers for that Stingray , very useful information , i was thinking about the Chevy , like you say same truck really , shame dont come in the White !

Moo 7 and 4 door Pick up are not the same. For some reason mayby someone want use a Pick Up Truck to load some stuff and have to possibility of 4 seatrs, just in case. In my opinion the Mu 7 looks not nice (design),

Yes but a normal 5 - 600,000 D-max will sit 4.... I mean a 4 door pickup @ 940,000 is crazy

If you locking for a Isuzu or Toytota, you will pay very high used car prices,

Yes but buy new you will still get a very good price when you sell.. I exchange the D-Max every 4 years, last year [May 2008] lost 200,000 in 4 yrs [bought new May 2004] + put over 400,000km on it

If your buying cash and 2nd hand then Yes much cheaper to buy Mazda, Ford, Chevrolet or a Mitsubishi Truck......... A 2 month old Tata I noticed the other day had lost 130,000 baht.

Thanks for your posts Ignis , just the information i was looking for , hate to say it but seems me missus is right , better to buy new than 2nd hand , at those depreciation prices cant go wrong really .

Thanks again

940'000 for a new 4d Pick isn't that expensive. I bought a new Ford Ranger Wild Track (this comes in white color), cost pretty much the same. But i'm from Switzerland and overthere cost the same "Wild Track" 52'000 Swiss Franks, wich means 1'6 Million Baht.

I gave up trying to understand the ridiculous prices for used cars here and bought a new one. It was cheaper. I don't know if it's because cars and trucks do not depreciate here as much as in the west or because the Thais think all farangs are stupid, but I paid 574,000 baht for a new Yaris last years after looking at used ones for which salesmen wanted more.

Also, since virtually all used cars here have been wrecked or abused and unless you're a car expert who can tell, you would be much better off with a new truck with a factory warranty. You also do not risk title problems by buying a new vehicle from the manufacturers dealer.

I gave up trying to understand the ridiculous prices for used cars here and bought a new one. It was cheaper. I don't know if it's because cars and trucks do not depreciate here as much as in the west or because the Thais think all farangs are stupid, but I paid 574,000 baht for a new Yaris last years after looking at used ones for which salesmen wanted more.

Also, since virtually all used cars here have been wrecked or abused and unless you're a car expert who can tell, you would be much better off with a new truck with a factory warranty. You also do not risk title problems by buying a new vehicle from the manufacturers dealer.

You are right on! Recently I had visited a village mechanic who repairs almost totally demolished autos to sell 2nd hand. He confirmed that most used vehicles had serious accidents. :) I now no longer even glance at the used stalls. Buy new...best advice as quoted.

Cheers

I knew a farang who deals in used vehicles. I asked him is he could find me a nice fairly new pickup truck. He told me he could likely find a nice car at a decent price but that if I wanted a pickup truck, I would be better off buying a new one. That's what I did.

The 3 last posts mention buy new. Sure if you have the money go ahead but keep in mind the change for close contact with bikes/cars in cities are fairly high compared to EU, so small scratches/dents can easily happen.

I "saved" 200k on a 2006 car compared to a new (Honda City top model), the car I bought had some extras mounted which I appreciate, and maybe cost app. 25k, and so far I am very happy with it.

Yes I agree that the second market is a "jungle" where only the wise survive, so be extremely careful when buying a used car/truck. I took my car to a Honda dealer ship before buying to make sure everything was okay and no hidden surprises, but the car was "clean" :)

Keep in mind that if you are only driving app. 10-15 k km pr year as me, I really can't see the reason to buy a new car.

Wen talking about new cars should not consider always at the Honda and Toyota cars. Of course it's better to buy a new Hona City (just for example) than buying a 5 year old one with 200'000km for 425'000 Baht, because the new one only cost maybe 550'k. Bot not everyone likes to buy Toyota and Honda. we actually have a couple new Toyota Vios for rent ,but i never drive one for my self, because i don't like them at all. I still prefere a 16 year old Toyota Crown, or a 20 year old Mercedes Benz 500 SEL or a similar BMW what ever, with full options than one of those new, in my opinion, plastic toys. Sorry to say that. Ok, everyone have different choice, but if someone likes a diferent car than Toyota, Isuzu or Honda, there is only second hand possible, because i guess 95% of peaple who discust in this forum, can't afford to buy them new for a couple million Bahts. Another thing is: Not everyone is liquid to buy the new car in cash and not everyone is in a financial situation to pass a finance and pay for the next 4 years the usual 12'k every month. Some peaple have a limited budged and can afford only the 150'k car and in my opinion, for private use only, i think it is smarter to buy a older used car for a bout 150 to 200'k, spend some money for repairs, can use the car for maybe 3 years and still get a 100'k if he sells. so lost during 3 years maybe max a 80 to 100'k. Better than buy a new car an lose 30 to 50% of it's value after 3 years and the car is not even paid finish yet. And most of the thing peaple not consider: What happen when drunken Somchai hit's your new car (even when your car is parked at the sidewalk), Honda city or Jazz for example) with his old uninsured but strong Pick Up Truck. Somchai has no money for sure. Your insurance will maybe repair your car, BUT: It still a "accident car" now, maybe never the same as before. I saw a couple Jazzes with small and midium accidents, resulting in a cracket automatic transmission. A couple mounts of repair and electronic failures, headache for ever! So who gonna buy this cars when you try to sell t. With a 150'k car you don't have to lose much, in this case, and with a older Toyota Crown, 123 Merc or Bemer for example it isn't realy possible to crack the gearbox, when have a small or midium accident.

Yes, new is good if someone haves money, but i personally feel better to drive a 12 year old Audi S6 (300'000 Baht) for example, than a new Vios os Jazz.

Amen!

Keep in mind that if you are only driving app. 10-15 k km pr year as me, I really can't see the reason to buy a new car.

Fully agree, and agree with Stingray.

I bought a brand new Top model Honda Jazz when they came to Thailand in 2004. I sold it for VERY good money in 2008 with only 25,000km as it is a second car.. OK the Jazz was nice and a good car.... now for the past 16 months I have climate control, full leather, electric seats, electric blinds, different type of power steering, big powerful engine that sounds much better, room for me to stretch my legs out fully [i'm 6'3] there is far more room in the old Audi A6, then in the everyday D-Max. The previous owner of the A6 had it for 10 years

You are right on! Recently I had visited a village mechanic who repairs almost totally demolished autos to sell 2nd hand. He confirmed that most used vehicles had serious accidents. :D I now no longer even glance at the used stalls. Buy new...best advice as quoted.

Cheers

So they sell 600,000+ vehicles a year here and most have serious accidents, right thats 600,000 smashes each year every year so no wonder i can't get any where fast for all the debris .I don't think so :) .

Many of the body shops are very clever. Putting two halves of vehicles together is common practice. Unfortunately they seldom get them perfect. The next time you are on a long trip, keep an eye on the vehicle in front of you. A surprising number of them are very visibly dog tracking. The twisted body that causes this is not easily repaired and running down the road sideways is hard on everything, particularly tires and suspension parts.

A vehicle that has had a bad accident is never the same. Parts that were stressed fail and the many rattles are irritating. If I didn't know the history of a used vehicle, I would take it to a good body shop for an inspection rather than a garage. Engines and mechanical parts are easily replaced or rebuilt. Twisted bodies are NOT.

Edited by Gary A

Many of the body shops are very clever. Putting two halves of vehicles together is common practice. Unfortunately they seldom get them perfect. The next time you are on a long trip, keep an eye on the vehicle in front of you. A surprising number of them are very visibly dog tracking. The twisted body that causes this is not easily repaired and running down the road sideways is hard on everything, particularly tires and suspension parts.

A vehicle that has had a bad accident is never the same. Parts that were stressed fail and the many rattles are irritating. If I didn't know the history of a used vehicle, I would take it to a good body shop for an inspection rather than a garage. Engines and mechanical parts are easily replaced or rebuilt. Twisted bodies are NOT.

This is absolutely correct! Outside all used cars are painted already, because the sun fade out the color, or the motorcycles or shopping carts made some scratches, etc, etc. There i wouldn't worry about it. But should open the engine hood and the trunk. in the enbginebay the car should have the original color and in the trunk section as well. NO new paint in both area. If ,for example, the enginebay was paintet, there is eomething wrong (exeption are classic cars, where someone has done a full restoration).

I still prefere a 16 year old Toyota Crown, or a 20 year old Mercedes Benz 500 SEL or a similar BMW what ever, with full options than one of those new, in my opinion, plastic toys. Sorry to say that.

agreed.

20 year old big Benz is far better car than brand new (small) Japanese car. With Thai gas prices so low, driving a 5 litre German makes sense here.

What strikes me as odd, small Japanese cars are considered COOL here, that is something that I never notice while in Europe. Especially Jazz, I often hear approving comments from my younger Thai friends when brand new, 'tuned' Jazz blasts by... same goes for Jaris, City..

still, driving a big, alltough much older German is a pleasure.. and after 10 years the Germans stop 'ageing'.. so unless you really become bored with the car you can keep for years and years without a need to upgrade, 560 SEL and SEC probably best examples

Go to an auction,plenty in BKK in Pattaya too,pick up a bargain.

Never see a bargain at any auction, unless if it's junk. Never bought any auction Cars, because can't test drive it. Paperwork to long to clear. aditional auction fee, VAT on the price you bit. Some peaple know i'm a dealer. I have expirience, and i can test a car without open the engine hood and i can tell you exactly what's wrong with it. But i can't test or valuation a vehicle without testdrive, thats impossible.

Edited by stingray

Go to an auction,plenty in BKK in Pattaya too,pick up a bargain.

Never see a bargain at any auction, unless if it's junk. Never bought any auction Cars, because can't test drive it. Paperwork to long to clear. aditional auction fee, VAT on the price you bit. Some peaple know i'm a dealer. I have expirience, and i can test a car without open the engine hood and i can tell you exactly what's wrong with it. But i can't test or valuation a vehicle without testdrive, thats impossible.

Never been here but have been told that 'GE Capital Bangkok auto auction' is the one to go to as it is not like other auctions.... this auction you can go and check out the car/truck and then place your bid in an envelope on that car/truck, most are the Banks own repo cars/trucks...