Chaing Mai - Is It Noticeably Cooler?

ThailandLovr

It sounds like based on what Ulysses, Winnie and others have observed, Chiang Mai is somewhat cooler at least for 3 months of the year, and perhaps a little less humid so that would be good for me since heat and I just don't get along. However somebody also said the occasional breezes off the sea are pleasant, which is true and of course there are no seas in Chiang Mai. I guess I am comparing mostly to Pattaya/Jomtien rather than BKK because BKK just seems to be the undisputed leader of heat, pollution and stagnant air. I think overall Chiang Mai (for non-weather reasons) may be more appealing to me as a non-sexpat westerner, having lots of western businesses, restaurants, entertainment, etc. with probably fewer of the crazies.

But nobody mentioned anything about the outskirts of Chiang Mai, or up more in the hills where it seems there would be some more breezes and fresher air. I have no interest in living in a village again, no way, but a small to medium sized suburb of CM may offer the dose of western I need, but not the pollution perhaps a bit more casual life. Any such areas?

Thanks to all for your input. I will probably travel up there based on what you've all said. One issue difficult to evaluate is not being near the seashore, and whether I would miss looking at the natural beauty of the ocean, strolling near the shore etc. Only some time in CM would help me get a handle on that.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ThailandLovr,

It sounds like based on what Ulysses, Winnie and others have observed, Chiang Mai is somewhat cooler at least for 3 months of the year

Yes !

... snip ... I guess I am comparing mostly to Pattaya/Jomtien rather than BKK because BKK just seems to be the undisputed leader of heat, pollution and stagnant air. I think overall Chiang Mai (for non-weather reasons) may be more appealing to me as a non-sexpat westerner, having lots of western businesses, restaurants, entertainment, etc. with probably fewer of the crazies.

In our humblest opinion comparing CM to Pattaya/Jomtien (we live in CM, we've never been to Pattaya/Jomtien ... and we'll never go) is like comparing a circus to an insane asylum. Comparing CM to Bangkok would be like comparing an aquarium to a crematorium :)

But nobody mentioned anything about the outskirts of Chiang Mai, or up more in the hills where it seems there would be some more breezes and fresher air. I have no interest in living in a village again, no way, but a small to medium sized suburb of CM may offer the dose of western I need, but not the pollution perhaps a bit more casual life. Any such areas?

Yes. For example, we once lived in a little hill-top moo baan near Chiang Mai University which was a veritable oasis of lumyai trees and flowers; the air was consistenly clean, and the tempearture, on average at least a degree C lower than down on the level of Huay Khaew road. We live now in an area east of the Ping river, but within six kilometers of the Night Bazaar where there is a noticeable change (for the better) of air quality, and cooler tempearture, year around compared to the inner city or the Night Bazaar area.

Further out, we have friends in Mae Jo, and Mae Rim, Sansai, etc. that enjoy very fresh, sweet air.

... snip ...I will probably travel up there based on what you've all said. One issue difficult to evaluate is not being near the seashore, and whether I would miss looking at the natural beauty of the ocean, strolling near the shore etc. Only some time in CM would help me get a handle on that.

Gosh, by all means, come for a visit ! You'll fall in love (with Chiang Mai). We don't fancy the beach ourselves because the human component of our duality grew up being always dragged off to the beach against his will as a child by his parents where he was inevitably sun-burned, and bitten by strange things in the stupid ocean.

beast, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

...snip...

Gosh, by all means, come for a visit ! You'll fall in love (with Chiang Mai). We don't fancy the beach ourselves because the human component of our duality grew up being always dragged off to the beach against his will as a child by his parents where he was inevitably sun-burned, and bitten by strange things in the stupid ocean.

beast, ~o:37;

You otta be in sales o~37. Clever, concise, on point, entertaining, articulate reply, thank you. That area where you live now, as well as the area near the University (hmmmm, maybe I could teach there or just do some tutoring - gotta find something to do with my unlimited free time), sound near perfect. May I ask if the rental of a small home is reasonable there?

I have a friend from the States who comes yearly to do some computing work, but mostly for the visit, and stays in Chiang Mai. He loves it, swears by it, but I've discounted his acclaims because he hasn't visited other areas of Thailand.

P.S. I assume you typoed "beast" rather than "best" in your closing? If not, well, then thanks very much "beast o~37" :)

Chicago, city of my birth, was supposedly named Windy City for its windy politicians. Oklahoma City is kind of pretty very windy.

PB is historically accurate. The reputation has its roots in newspaper coverage of the loquacity of politicians from Chicago who went to New York to sell the city as the site for a major national exhibiiton about one hundred years ago, much like they go around these days to become an Olympics site. Historically, I believe, the weather-windiest city in the USA is actually Boston, Massachusetts.

Otherwise, can we get back to relative temperature in Chiang Mai? Since we are in the tropics, temperature decreases at this (higher than sea level but not by much) elevation are mitigated somewhat from the standard measure Priceless refers to.

Regarding pollution conditions generally, Priceless is correct but I believe too restrictive in his analysis for several reasons which are amply discussed in many, many other threads on this site. No need for another one.

About face masks, I suggest that common sense and simple observation provide more than ample clues about pollution in Chiang Mai. Never mind seasonal problems. The traffic police basically wear them almost all the time, not because they are afraid of getting chapped lips. Otherwise, just look around, especially when you follow a song tao, a 2-cyl vehicle, or other "smoker." That is typical of small and large cities in any economically less-developed country.

But one must wear the correct mask.

Many are inappropriate and not going to protect one against the majority of the hazardsin the atmosphere. i.e. some will protect against particulate matter (depending on the microns) but most will provide absolutely no benefit against fumes such as exhaust gases.

It always intrigues me to see some of the girls riding their MC's with their hand over their mouth.

If they are getting air into their lungs no amount of hand over mouth is going to reduce either fumes or particulate.

But try to tell someone that. Just another case of TIT :)

Chicago, city of my birth, was supposedly named Windy City for its windy politicians. Oklahoma City is kind of pretty very windy.

PB is historically accurate. The reputation has its roots in newspaper coverage of the loquacity of politicians from Chicago who went to New York to sell the city as the site for a major national exhibiiton about one hundred years ago, much like they go around these days to become an Olympics site. Historically, I believe, the weather-windiest city in the USA is actually Boston, Massachusetts.

Otherwise, can we get back to relative temperature in Chiang Mai? Since we are in the tropics, temperature decreases at this (higher than sea level but not by much) elevation are mitigated somewhat from the standard measure Priceless refers to.

Regarding pollution conditions generally, Priceless is correct but I believe too restrictive in his analysis for several reasons which are amply discussed in many, many other threads on this site. No need for another one.

About face masks, I suggest that common sense and simple observation provide more than ample clues about pollution in Chiang Mai. Never mind seasonal problems. The traffic police basically wear them almost all the time, not because they are afraid of getting chapped lips. Otherwise, just look around, especially when you follow a song tao, a 2-cyl vehicle, or other "smoker." That is typical of small and large cities in any economically less-developed country.

But one must wear the correct mask.

Many are inappropriate and not going to protect one against the majority of the hazardsin the atmosphere. i.e. some will protect against particulate matter (depending on the microns) but most will provide absolutely no benefit against fumes such as exhaust gases.

It always intrigues me to see some of the girls riding their MC's with their hand over their mouth.

If they are getting air into their lungs no amount of hand over mouth is going to reduce either fumes or particulate.

But try to tell someone that. Just another case of TIT :)

No, I don't think it is "TIT," which is (in my view) a useless expression of general exasperation.

To the point, in a general sense, I agree that this is a good reflection of reality. It can be argued that the available "scientific data" indicate that Chiang Mai, relatively and absolutely speaking, is not particularly polluted. That becomes a very, very arduous debate. Just check it out on past threads!

But what is very, very clear is that the air is not clear. Even the most punctilious "scientists" among us recognize that in the end.

And I hope all think about what to do, personally and generally, about that --- even if the air pollution doesn't bother some people some of the time.

Well, "had to wear dust masks" may be exaggerating a bit (I didn't, for one) but the period you are talking about occurred in mid-March 2007, i.e. more than 2½ years ago. It was an extreme and extremely unpleasant period, due to several simultaneous and rather unusual meteorological occurrences.

/ Priceless

Yes, 13/03/2007 at 5 PM 30km south of Chiang Mai.

pic101.th.jpg

Well, "had to wear dust masks" may be exaggerating a bit (I didn't, for one) but the period you are talking about occurred in mid-March 2007, i.e. more than 2½ years ago. It was an extreme and extremely unpleasant period, due to several simultaneous and rather unusual meteorological occurrences.

/ Priceless

pic101.th.jpg

I have noticed those conditions as far south as Lampang and did not get relative clear air until Tak.

/ Priceless

pic101.th.jpg

I have noticed those conditions as far south as Lampang and did not get relative clear air until Tak.

Lampang is regularly more polluted than Chiang Mai, largely due to the Mae Moh lignite mine and power plant.

/ Priceless