Chaing Mai - Is It Noticeably Cooler?

ThailandLovr

My apologies as I am sure this question has been asked often before, but I'd appreciate a brief remark if you'd please. Comparing the weather in Chiang Mai versus say Bkk/Pattaya area, is it noticeably cooler? And less humid? More breezy? From what I've seen on the news casts, the temps there seem to be only 1 or 2 degrees less, but is this misleading? I've been reading a lot of good things about Chiang Mai and might consider relocating there.

Thanks for your time.

This week - Daily highs in mid 30's. Not a breezy city.

Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precip

January 29.0° C 14.0° C 0.76 cm

February 32.0° C 16.0° C 0.51 cm

March 34.0° C 19.0° C 1.52 cm

April 36.0° C 23.0° C 4.57 cm

May 34.0° C 24.0° C 15.24 cm

June 32.0° C 24.0° C 13.46 cm

July 32.0° C 24.0° C 16.76 cm

August 31.0° C 24.0° C 22.61 cm

September 31.0° C 23.0° C 25.15 cm

October 31.0° C 22.0° C 13.21 cm

November 29.0° C 19.0° C 4.32 cm

December 28.0° C 15.0° C 1.52 cm

Even if it does feel cooler, that won't make up for the worsening air pollution there. My bet is this year will be worse than last year. Just do a search on it and see what people had to put up with. It's something to definitely take into consideration if you're thinking of relocating there...

Edited by ballzafire

A breezy city? Only on this form then it can be a cyclone at times. :) Chicago we are not.

Cool season only lasts about 3 months and Chiang Mai and the North is noticeably cooler than other parts of Thailand - especially at night and in the morning. Chiang Mai's weather is pretty much the same as other parts of Thailand for the rest of the year.

Almost rhetorical, yes? Stands to common sense. Winter. Altitude. Latitude.

Even if it does feel cooler, that won't make up for the worsening air pollution there. My bet is this year will be worse than last year. Just do a search on it and see what people had to put up with. It's something to definitely take into consideration if you're thinking of relocating there...

Seeing that last year (2008) had the lowest annual average pollution on record (38.4 µg/m3), it seems reasonable that this year will be "worse". So far, the average for this year is 41.1 µg/m3, which would only qualify as the third best year on record, if it were to last until the end of the year.

Incidentally, from mid-2004 until today the average pollution level in Chiang Mai has fallen by about a third. Let's hope that this trend continues :)

/ Priceless

Seeing that last year (2008) had the lowest annual average pollution on record (38.4 µg/m3), it seems reasonable that this year will be "worse". So far, the average for this year is 41.1 µg/m3, which would only qualify as the third best year on record, if it were to last until the end of the year. Incidentally, from mid-2004 until today the average pollution level in Chiang Mai has fallen by about a third. Let's hope that this trend continues :) / Priceless

Source?

Seeing that last year (2008) had the lowest annual average pollution on record (38.4 µg/m3), it seems reasonable that this year will be "worse". So far, the average for this year is 41.1 µg/m3, which would only qualify as the third best year on record, if it were to last until the end of the year. Incidentally, from mid-2004 until today the average pollution level in Chiang Mai has fallen by about a third. Let's hope that this trend continues :) / Priceless

Source?

Raw (daily) data from the Pollution Control Department website http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/Q...fm?task=default

Compiled and computed by me.

/ Priceless

Alright, but wasn't it last year that people had to wear dust masks for a week a so when they went outside? I seem to remember something about that. If overall air quality has improved that's certainly positive news (but I'll take my ocean breezes over stagnant inland air any day...).

Alright, but wasn't it last year that people had to wear dust masks for a week a so when they went outside? I seem to remember something about that. If overall air quality has improved that's certainly positive news (but I'll take my ocean breezes over stagnant inland air any day...).

Well, "had to wear dust masks" may be exaggerating a bit (I didn't, for one) but the period you are talking about occurred in mid-March 2007, i.e. more than 2½ years ago. It was an extreme and extremely unpleasant period, due to several simultaneous and rather unusual meteorological occurrences.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Chiang Mai from the period late November thru to Feb can get very cool in the early morning and late evening, even thought about buying a Heater this year, one will need a heavy jacket if riding a motorcycle in the evenings, the day time temperatures ramp up to normal after about 10 am.

Also one thing i have noticed riding a motorcycle in the evenings and mornings that i can encounter a noticable cold spot that lasts a couple of hundred yards, quite uncanny, 1 am talking about in the outer city limits here not in the actual city.

Altitudeis just over 1000 feet or 300 metres hardly alpine.

Though to answer the OP it is getting noticebly cooler in the early morning. Just an excuse to cuddle up maybe.

Edited by harrry

Altitudeis just over 1000 feet or 300 metres hardly alpine.

Though to answer the OP it is getting noticebly cooler in the early morning. Just an excuse to cuddle up maybe.

According to the International Standard Atmosphere (ISA, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International...dard_Atmosphere ) the temperature falls by 1.98 degrees Celsius per 1,000 ft increase in altitude. As you say, hardly alpine but still noticeable. Whether ISA applies strictly in the tropics is a different question :)

/ Priceless

Also one thing i have noticed riding a motorcycle in the evenings and mornings that i can encounter a noticable cold spot that lasts a couple of hundred yards, quite uncanny, 1 am talking about in the outer city limits here not in the actual city.

Oh, that's just the ghosties. It's difficult to factor them into the statistics :) .

Really, it's interesting how our bodies do and/or don't adapt to temperature, amongst other aspects of climate and "atmosphere". People do perceive these features quite differently, so any individual might need to live here for a few years before deciding if CM will suit.

I lived in Hang Dong for several years, south of the airport. It is far more pleasant to live in CM than in Bangkok. In the evenings I would always enjoy playing some games or sitting in the garden. I don't EVER do that in Bangkok. Oh, and I think Bangkok is far more polluted than CM, unless things have changed in the past few years. The smell of the open sewers and drains, the cooking oil and particles of chilli, the fumes, and especially the concrete dust, is very noticeable in most parts of BKK.

Edited by stolidfeline

I think during MOST of the year Chiang Mai feels cooler, especially at night, as it's a bit less humid compared to places like Bangkok, Pattaya and the South.

And in the winter months, it gets plain chilly at night. (though usually only for a couple weeks somewhere December-Januarish.)

In April, the daily high temperature is often actually higher than in the South, though at night it may still feel more comfortable.

While we're on the topic of weather, was wondering if anyone can share how you locals cope with hot weather. I mean going about your day without being covered in sweat, and smelling like a fish market. I've heard of Thais using baby powder after a shower. I guess you can dress less, but I don't want to be in a tank top all the time. Do you carry a sweat rag? do you try and stay out of the sun? do you take a mid-day shower?

How do you stay presentable in hot sun?

While we're on the topic of weather, was wondering if anyone can share how you locals cope with hot weather. I mean going about your day without being covered in sweat, and smelling like a fish market. I've heard of Thais using baby powder after a shower. I guess you can dress less, but I don't want to be in a tank top all the time. Do you carry a sweat rag? do you try and stay out of the sun? do you take a mid-day shower?

How do you stay presentable in hot sun?

Easy, stay out of that sun as much as possible. Plan strenuous activities in the morning or late afternoon. Take showers at every opportunity. Wear loose cotton clothes. Always scan for the coolest spot when sitting down somewhere like a restaurant, away from heat sources including radiant or reflective heat, and somewhere where you catch some airflow (from a fan or otherwise). When walking around town (again, preferably early morning), pick the cooler side of the road, the one where the sun doesn't blast you.

And adjust your diet; I find that reducing or eliminating empty carbohydrates and alcohol is good, and don't eat too much generally. Multiple small meals like many Thais do works better than a massive pig-out twice a day; processing all that stuff in your body generates heat.

Powders like prickly heat powder may make you feel a bit dryer or minty-er, but aren't magic bullets.

Fortunatley we're going into teh cool season; I don't expect to use the air-conditioner until mid March or so.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

coolxten

re ... How do you stay presentable in hot sun ?

and ... Do you carry a sweat rag? .... no ..... do you try and stay out of the sun ? ... no .... never !

you are not drinking enough water ..... drink a glass of water often ( every 10 mins ) and you wont sweat

enjoy .... dave2

ps ... when you need a pee every temple and gas stations have free ones !

A breezy city? Only on this form then it can be a cyclone at times. :) Chicago we are not.

Read it again. Not a breezy city. BTW Chicago is the "Windy City".

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

Well, "had to wear dust masks" may be exaggerating a bit (I didn't, for one) but the period you are talking about occurred in mid-March 2007, i.e. more than 2½ years ago. It was an extreme and extremely unpleasant period, due to several simultaneous and rather unusual meteorological occurrences.

/ Priceless

Gosh, it seems to us that it was this year that there was month or more of fantastic pollution ! Remember the pictures of Lampang where the pollution reached incredible levels in the national media ?

I also personally believe that every month year has been significantly more polluted in the more trafficked and crowded areas of CM compared to even three years ago.

best, ~o:37;

p.s. just back from four days in Vientiane where daily highs reached 95F, and almost no clouds. Even thought the Vientiane heat was relatively "dry," it "felt" "ferocious." In downtown Udon Thani, on my way to get the VIP bus back to CM, the pollution was very noticeable, and when we finally got outside central Udon the tempearture dropped dramatically.

Edited by orang37

/ Priceless

Gosh, it seems to us that it was this year that there was month or more of fantastic pollution ! Remember the pictures of Lampang where the pollution reached incredible levels in the national media ?

I also personally believe that every month year has been significantly more polluted in the more trafficked and crowded areas of CM compared to even three years ago.

p.s. just back from four days in Vientiane where daily highs reached 95F, and almost no clouds. Even thought the Vientiane heat was relatively "dry," it "felt" "ferocious." In downtown Udon Thani, on my way to get the VIP bus back to CM, the pollution was very noticeable, and when we finally got outside central Udon the tempearture dropped dramatically.

Your "month or more of fantastic pollution" was in fact 16 (non-continuous) days of PM<10 pollution in excess of the Pollution Control Department limit of 120 µg/m3. This can be compared to e.g. 30 days in 2007 and 39 days in 2004. We would all obviously prefer that number to be 0, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that. The average pollution level for March of this year was 6% higher than the decade's average for that month, though.

2006 (i.e. "three years ago") was actually the second best year of this decade in terms of air pollution, with an average level of 40.5 µg/m3. So far, 2009 hasn't been that much worse though, with an average of 41.1 µg/m3, i.e. 1.5% higher than 2006.

In "the more trafficked and crowded areas of CM" (in this case defined as at Uparaj College on Rajvitthi Rd, near Moon Muang) every month except February has had a lower pollution level than 2006!

/ Priceless

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Priceless,

Thanks for the valuable posts with statistics !

I and I are asking ourselves why we experienced this year's February and March as so bad, why we remember pictures of Lampang in the newspapers where it looked dark at mid-day; maybe our soy-milk was off during those months.

We do believe in science (not joking). Of course we've never been one (or two) of those people of whom Albert Camus said :

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."

I and I are asking ourselves why we experienced this year's February and March as so bad, why we remember pictures of Lampang in the newspapers where it looked dark at mid-day; maybe our soy-milk was off during those months.

We do believe in science (not joking). Of course we've never been one (or two) of those people of whom Albert Camus said :

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Orang,

I think that you are experiencing that measurable reality and one's (or two's) perception thereof can be very different...

As for Lampang, there is at times a great difference in pollution between that city and Chiang Mai. February of this year was indeed in Lampang the worst individual month on record this decade, almost as bad as the infamous March 2007 was here in Chiang Mai. (The February pollution level in Lampang was more than twice that in Chiang Mai.) I do not myself remember the pictures, but they may well have been there.

/ Priceless

Chicago, city of my birth, was supposedly named Windy City for its windy politicians. Oklahoma City is kind of pretty very windy.

PB is historically accurate. The reputation has its roots in newspaper coverage of the loquacity of politicians from Chicago who went to New York to sell the city as the site for a major national exhibiiton about one hundred years ago, much like they go around these days to become an Olympics site. Historically, I believe, the weather-windiest city in the USA is actually Boston, Massachusetts.

Otherwise, can we get back to relative temperature in Chiang Mai? Since we are in the tropics, temperature decreases at this (higher than sea level but not by much) elevation are mitigated somewhat from the standard measure Priceless refers to.

Regarding pollution conditions generally, Priceless is correct but I believe too restrictive in his analysis for several reasons which are amply discussed in many, many other threads on this site. No need for another one.

About face masks, I suggest that common sense and simple observation provide more than ample clues about pollution in Chiang Mai. Never mind seasonal problems. The traffic police basically wear them almost all the time, not because they are afraid of getting chapped lips. Otherwise, just look around, especially when you follow a song tao, a 2-cyl vehicle, or other "smoker." That is typical of small and large cities in any economically less-developed country.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Orang,

I think that you are experiencing that measurable reality and one's (or two's) perception thereof can be very different...

As for Lampang, there is at times a great difference in pollution between that city and Chiang Mai. February of this year was indeed in Lampang the worst individual month on record this decade, almost as bad as the infamous March 2007 was here in Chiang Mai. (The February pollution level in Lampang was more than twice that in Chiang Mai.) I do not myself remember the pictures, but they may well have been there.

/ Priceless

There are soft coal deposits and a power plant that uses them in Lampang. I think you can actually visit the mine. There are road signs to it!