Heavy Police Presence For Tomorrow's Pad Rally

webfact

Hello All,

i told myself a long time ago not to comment on poilitical threats on thaivisa anymore, as i felt it would not change my mind and certainly not the minds of others. Whatever side i am on or whatever side they are on and so it will only lead to flamings. So this will be my final post on things concerning yellow/red, Thaksin/Military.

I am somewhat puzzeled how foreigners, wherever they originate from, but i suspect from free democratic countries, can be blinded by propaganda and deny the obvious. It seems many have the standpoint here that there was no violence caused by the yellow shirts. Please refer to be being blinded above. You only have to listen to many of the interviews given by leaders of the yellows and you can see the semi-fascist ( i come from a country that had its fair share of fascims) and war - mongering attitude.

I am no Fan of Thaksin, so you know it. But i am a true democrat and i mean it like in the dictionary, not a name a certain party gives itself here. Thaksin may have his use as a catalysator on a way to something new. One thing is for sure. Yellow does not want new, for obvious reasons. I cannot force any of the in my opinion blinded people to read more( read at the right places, as there are good blogs who are relatvely balanced) but i hope to encourgage them.

Just to make it clear again, i do not indulge violence from any side, neither the red one, but sometimes change does not come like in my homecountry, peacefully and quiet.

And change it what this country, i fell in love with a long time ago, desperately needs.

Sorry for any misspelling or grammatical errors. i am not a native speaker.

Yet again everyone is entitled to their opinion, that a basic foundation of democracy, but one has to be careful not to be used to destroy the last remainder of thai democracy.

respecful regards

Timo

Maybe not a native speaker, but none the less, well said! You're right, in that memories of reality fade quickly, when propaganda is fed a steady diet to the ears. Napolean taught us that "if you tell a lie often enough, it will become a truth in the minds of the people".

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the police presence was NOT heavy enough.

It will be a noisy day tomorrow.

"if you tell a lie often enough, it will become a truth in the minds of the people".

Certainly true, which is why several of us prefer to provide countervailing thoughts,

laden with verifiable facts, and valid analysis regularly.

Edited by animatic

No implementation of the security act for the yellows only for the reds.

The yellows will feel left out, or does it indicate some sort of bias- surely not. :)

The Yellow protests are in general a lot more peaceful than those of the reds.

That's cos the Junta is on their side!

Table 16: Poverty and Human Development Index (HDI) in ASEAN Countries

Country Poverty Headcount Index

Whole Country /Urban /Rural

Brunei* n.a /n.a/ n.a

Indonesia(1990) 19.6/ 10.7/ 23.6

Malaysia(1987) 18.6 / 7.3 / 24.7

Philippines(1991) 49.7/ 34.2 / 67.8

Singapore* n.a/ n.a/ n.a

Thailand(1992) 13.1/ 2.4/ 15.5

Cambodia* 36/ 25.4/ 40

Laos(1992/93) 53.0/ 23.9/ 54.9

Myanmar(1997) 22.9/ 23.9/ 22.4

Vietnam* 37/ 9.0/ 45

Source: World Bank, 1999, August, 18, Tam et al, 2004, Human Development Report 2005.

On these figures the ratio of rural to urban poverty is Burma 0.94, Cambodia 1.57, Philippines 1.98, Indonesia 2.20, Laos 2.30, Malaysia 3.38, Vietnam 5, Thailand 6.46. Absolute levels of poverty in Thailand are lower but the urban rural divide is the greatest, it seems.