Newbie Needs Advice Please :)

JennyLee

Hello all,

I am a 24 yr old female currently in Chiang Mai. I have just finished a TEFL course and hope to find a job and stay here in Chiang Mai.

A couple of questions...

1) It would appear as though motorbikes are the prefered method of transportation. However, I am terrified to attempt driving one. I don't want to die. I have heard that used cars are hard to come by cheaply and the tuk-tuk fees are no doubt going to add up over the long term. Suggestions?

2) I'm looking for a resonably priced appartment (5000 baht-ish). Preferably close to the old city, unless you also have a solution for my transportation problem :). I am condidering Baan Thai Apartments on Nimmanhaeminda, although these are a bit of a trek from the moat. Again, any thoughts?

General advice about living, working and socializing in Chiang Mai is also greatly appreciated. But please be gentle. :D

Thanks

It's going to be cooler the coming months.. Why not try a bicycle first, then when you get used to the traffic you can try an automatic scooter later.

I think Nimmanhaemin is an excellent (though somtimes a bit congested) area, a bit away from the tourist center. Or, you could start out in the tourist center where it's easy to meet people, and move a bit out later.

Walking around the central core of the city is pretty easy. I did it for two years before buying a motorbike. A scooter DOES broaden your horizon a bit. I would suggest going with a friend who knows about scooters and practise a bit in the country away from traffic. Once you get used to a bike it's no more dangerous than a bicycle. Eventually, riding a motorbike becomes second nature. Impatience, distractions and lack of planning usually causes the most accidents. I stay in a hotel 2 km outside the city core and often just walk instead of taking my bike. My hotel charges about 5000 to 6000 baht a month. It fluctuates with the electric bill.

Hi Jenny

1) It would appear as though motorbikes are the prefered method of transportation. However, I am terrified to attempt driving one. I don't want to die. I have heard that used cars are hard to come by cheaply and the tuk-tuk fees are no doubt going to add up over the long term. Suggestions?

Motorcycles are quick and cheap methods of transportation in CM. The roads do get a bit hectic at times, but with a little early morning practice, it won't be long before you build your confidence up. After all, you don't have to race with the locals, and so long as you keep left, and allow plenty of time when you need to move over to the right, it really is easier than riding a bicycle which brings me onto my next point.

The dry season is upon us. Cycling around CM is often quicker than getting around by car. Believe me, the city area is a lot smaller than it might first appear. Even though we're surrounded by mountains, the town itself is as flat as a witches tit, and therefore effortless. Cycling is of course polution free (you'll hear more about that from the end of March), and incredibly cheap.

2) I'm looking for a resonably priced appartment (5000 baht-ish). Preferably close to the old city, unless you also have a solution for my transportation problem smile.gif. I am condidering Baan Thai Apartments on Nimmanhaeminda, although these are a bit of a trek from the moat. Again, any thoughts?

The Baan Thai is a newish building. It's clean, it's cheap, and has a great swimming pool on the 3rd floor. It also includes TV and a few English channels to include movies. The area is bustling (though can be a little noisy), and very trendy. From that building to Tapae Gate takes about 10-12 minutes on a bicycle. The Doi suthep is also close by and if walking or cycling is your thing, then the mountain is literally in your back garden from the Baan Thai.

General advice about living, working and socializing in Chiang Mai is also greatly appreciated. But please be gentle

Just make a diverse bunch of friends and within a few weeks you'll have a short list of those you prefer to hangout with. It will be these people who will hopfully help you get proerly acquainted with CM and surrounding areas. Check out the Ajarn.com forum for teaching tips and advice or ask away in here. There are other resources but you don't want to get overwhelmed :)

Hope you settle in quickly

Aitch

Riding a motorbike may even be safer than a bicycle. Come from Suthep Road and try to go inside the moat (do the u-turn across bunrueang). Try it both on a bicycle and a motorbike, you will feel the difference ;-)

I love cycling back in Europe, but here you only have the choice to get chased by the dogs on small roads or by the cars on big roads (and breathing the pollution). It is fun though going up to doi suthep, but it is no fun cycling to work every day. If you work as a teacher, can you shower at the school before work? you will sure need it after cycling in the city.

'However, I am terrified to attempt driving one. I don't want to die.'

Follow your instincts. Without professional instruction and training, motorcycles are very dangerous and you can easily end up being killed. If you can get professional instruction and training, well and good. If you cannot, forget about it. Do not think that starting out 'slowly' and 'learning from friends' are any kind of substitute.

Although Rasseru sincerely has a very good point, and by no means would i advocate you doing anything you feel you shouldnt, ill give you my own experience. I just HAD to get mobile! At first i was petrified..so i took songtaus and/or walked (btw, i recommend Songtaus more than tuktuks. As long as you know your general direction its 20baht (some say it went back down to 15baht..but tbh i just hand over the 20 and leave it at that). For longer distances you may pay a little more). Then, after a short time of getting a feel for the roads and areas (through observation) i started renting a bicycle. I would go out at quieter times initially, then i gained confidence cutting through heavier traffic. I ended up buying the bicycle i rented. It took a LONG time for me to pluck up the courage to rent a Scooter. Only after feeling i knew the roads and traffic quite well from riding a bike. At first I went out very early until i got more of a hang of the bike. It didnt take to long to get a feel for it. I started off with a lightweight Honda Icon, but now I prefer the Yamaha Fino (just because im a sucker for its looks). Both bikes automatics and easy to use. I will likely buy one soon.

For a bicycle I recommend a decent helmet (thinking back to when i was riding my bike, i was absolutely CRAZY to not wear a helmet!), a VERY chunky bike chain and lock (smaller chains get cut through in a flash), good set of lights (and something reflective is a good idea too), and a bell. Actually..even if on a scooter, much of that list is pretty much appropriate also.

Accommodation-wise, have a good look around before committing to a long term lease. You could also check out Huay Kaew Residence http://www.huaykaewresidence.com/

Best of luck, and welcome to Chiang Mai. :)

Edited by eek

'However, I am terrified to attempt driving one. I don't want to die.'

Follow your instincts. Without professional instruction and training, motorcycles are very dangerous and you can easily end up being killed. If you can get professional instruction and training, well and good. If you cannot, forget about it. Do not think that starting out 'slowly' and 'learning from friends' are any kind of substitute.

Motorcycles are easy to learn to ride. The danger lies in the traffic and the way it moves. Professional instruction won't teach you this, only personal experience. So if you ever want to be safe on a motorcycle in Thailand, you have to ride a motorcycle in Thailand.

Agree?

I would find employment first; then long-term housing.

PB is spot on . Get the job first. My daughter teaches at a school near Wat Prasing. Her 4,000 baht a month apartment is 5 walk minutes from where she works.Teaching is not exactly a highly paid career in CM and not having to pay transportation costs leaves a bit over for other pursuits ,plus you can pop home if you have a break.

Good luck.