Are Positive Changes Coming?

geriatrickid

Is A Positive Change On The Horizon?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well there have certainly been some interesting positive developments in Phuket of late;

i) The Karon tuk tuk association is reported to have reduced the set fares by 25% (e.g. new fare of 300 baht for Karon-Patong).

ii) Some member of the tessaban have spoken out on allegations of impropriety at the local level. Mana Pachalad taking up the incursion of developers onto public lands, and Pasert Patko taking up the issue of the peddlars and tuk tuks that park wherever they want. Also simmering is the free for all on patong beach.

iii) The local TAT now says that Australians are important visitors. (Remember when the loveable affable aussies were dismissed by some as unimportant to local tourism?)

So, does this mean that we may soon see some positive changes in how the local officials manage the scourge of tuk tuks, touts and development? The first step is speaking out and of using public pressure. I didn't think much would have come of the public discussion of the Karon tuktuks, but it seems one local newspaper made a difference when it undertook its focus a few months back. Is it possible, that maybe the economic crisis did cause some people to think and consider that things needed to be cleaned up, or am I just delusional and allowing hopes to blind me?

i) is very interesting. Let's see if and when it comes about.

I would also add the development of Phuket Airport as an Air Asia hub as a major positive as well.

And the new waterparks?

Good to have some positive threads on Phuket.

Of course there are many, many areas fro improvement but maybe this thread should be kept positive.

If tuk tuk's are serious they should display fixed prices as talk is cheap.Kevin Rudd advised aussies not to go to thailand on hoilday's after the beer mat incident,at the time she was certainly important.Sadly i think this is just another bunch of lie's ,all talk and no action as is common practice in LOS.A pinch of salt comes to mind. :)

Certainly over the last couple of months, I've seen an extraordinary amount of roadworks taking place all around the island, from road widening to resurfacing. I didn't have a favourable impression when the current Governor was installed, but he really seems to have a mission to improve the infrastructure of Phuket, and for that he deserves support. He doesn't seem to take any crap or excuses from his administration team either, and isn't afraid to get personally involved in controversy (such as the jet ski insurance requirement etc).