Windows Xp Home Edition

wilson steer

On laptop computer XP home edition I have the freeware programs Spybot, Adaware, AVG and Kaprisky virus and Doctor etc.

Just recently, none of these virus, trojan horse programmes will fully work. They stop dead half way.

Then, now my laptop will not shut down at all, I get the screen of death with the error noted: I quote exact:

ashServ.exe-application Error

The instruction at 0x7c910e03 referenced memory at "0x00000000" The memory could not be "written"

Also, my machine crashes (freezes up) often now, never has it done this for two years. and displays a blue screen full of writing, that appears for one second then restarts, cuts me off (from internet) then after (RE) start-up I get a microsoft report:

Your machine has recovered from a serious error blah blah blah.

Help needed. I am developing a bad headache. 2.4 clock speed/256 RAM/Advent

Wilson Steer.

...ashServ.exe-application Error...

Have a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;a...e;threadid=6204

Title: Re:Reference Memory

Post by: PeggyB on July 29, 2004, 01:38:18 AM

Okay....I got it now. I shut my computer down today and that box appear and I was able to get all that it said.

ashserv.exe application erro

The instructions at 0x77f58c69 reference memory 0x00000000 could not be written.

Please check OK to terminate program.

If I click on OK nothing happens because computer is in process of shutting down. If I remember correctly ashserv.exe DOES have something to do with Avast. Hope this help to solve the problem. Thank You..... :D

Post by: PeggyB on July 30, 2004, 04:19:48 AM

I couldn't solve the problem, so did the next best thing. I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast today. All is working fine.

Thank You for your time and patience....... :D

Post by: RedSector on July 30, 2004, 04:23:08 AM

Glad that fixed your problem ;D Some times the simple soultions are the best. I was sitting here pondering complicated stuff ;D I wish I would have thought to say that.

Post by: PeggyB on August 02, 2004, 10:25:53 PM

Sorry but all is not well. The problem came back. I had friend that said to uninstall avast and go with AVG. I did that last night. I ran it and it says I have Trojan Horse Dropper.small.4.ag.......I have it in AVG vault.

Would love to know how to get rid of it so that I can have my Avast back. Anyone know what I should do with it? Thank You...... :D

Post by: honyak122 on August 02, 2004, 10:50:23 PM

I would download bitdefender personal edition and run it to get a second opinion. I do not trust AVG.

I found that sygate was causing my problem and since the new build the problem has not reared it's ugly head. It never created any comp problems but I like to find out what it is. I at least know it was not avast.

BTW stick with avast I am not an expert but I have some reservations about AVG.

Post by: PeggyB on August 03, 2004, 12:22:26 AM

Thank You for the info............I will be sticking with Avast, just as soon as I get rid of the Trojan Horse. I will get second opinion.

Post by: PeggyB on August 04, 2004, 11:29:52 PM

Just to keep you updated..........I removed the Trojan last night. I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled Avast........happy again. :D Thank You for your help.

I hope this points you in the right direction of your problem.

PS Wilson, you really must get used to Google! This was my search result: http://www.google.com/search?q=ashServ.exe...=utf-8&oe=utf-8 :o

Thanks for that RDN: I have uninstalled Avast now all is back to normal. I expect that is a programme glitch. I will stick to this Kaparuousky anti virus now.

Yippee: I can shut down now!

Wilson Steer.

You can safely (and prudently) run multiple anti-spyware programs, like Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, but you should never install more than one anti-virus program at the same time... only problems will occur if you do...

......but you should never install more than one anti-virus program at the same time...  only problems will occur if you do...

I believe you meant to say "never run" rather than "never install".

I currently have 6 AV's (NOD32, Trend-Micro, Norton, Panda, Kapersky and AVG) installed, but none are on "auto-run". I call them up one-at-a-time, for test and/or evaluation purposes, as needed. (...and you thought keeping your one AV signature file updated was a pain. :o )

Some anti-spyware may also cause problems, if they are allowed to operate in "auto" mode. Ad-Aware (the free version) and SpyBot S&D should not exhibit these problems, as they do not (presently) run in "auto" mode.

cheers :D

......but you should never install more than one anti-virus program at the same time...  only problems will occur if you do...

I believe you meant to say "never run" rather than "never install".

I currently have 6 AV's (NOD32, Trend-Micro, Norton, Panda, Kapersky and AVG) installed, but none are on "auto-run". I call them up one-at-a-time, for test and/or evaluation purposes, as needed. (...and you thought keeping your one AV signature file updated was a pain. :D )

Some anti-spyware may also cause problems, if they are allowed to operate in "auto" mode. Ad-Aware (the free version) and SpyBot S&D should not exhibit these problems, as they do not (presently) run in "auto" mode.

cheers :D

You are correct... I am wrong... "never run" at the same time is accurate. "Never install" is not.

Companies such as Norton, Zone Alarm and the mighty Microsoft, along with tech guru Leo Laporte all recommend against installing more than one anti-virus program on the same OS, because of the likelihood of computer problems that usually result. Care has to be taken to make sure that these programs do not run automatically, as you indicated... Most people who use a PC with an antivirus program aren't as savvy as you, including me :o on this issue... Thanks for making me check out what I said... I learned something new.