Earthing Electrical Appliances

The microwave (less than a year old) blew out the other day and I got an electrical shock from the metal casing! Not pleasant!

I've bought a new Panasonic microwave which has a green and yellow insulated wire. There are no instructions on how to attach the wire to the microwave and nothing to say what or how it should be grounded.

Can anyone explain what is the safe way to do this?

Thanks

P.S. If I touch the computer casing in my home I also get an electrical shock. I try to remember but every once in a while I'll get a nasty surprise. I don't have kids but if I did I'd be more worried. The house I'm in is newly built.

It sounds like your house lacks any form of earthing. Since it is built, it will not be easy to earth all outlets etc.

In the meantime, you should rush out & buy an RCBO aka RCCB aka RCD/MCB & have it fitted to your consumer unit. I suggest Square D brand. No matter what brand you choose, it should have a maximum trip current of 30mA & it should not be adjustable.

Square D part number - QO1xxvs6RCBO30.

xx is the current rating. All RCBO's from 10 to 45 amps cost 2200 Baht (list price). They are single pole (22mm wide). You may need to modify your consumer unit a little to install one of these.

Edited by elkangorito

Yeah we used to get shocks from everything, PC cases and all...

even if you have power cables with the ground line and a 3 hole wall socket, there's no promise that the 3rd ground hole is actually wired up to anything... like ours in our new building...

we got in an electrician to add a ground wire to every power outlet, simple day job, cables and work under 1k thb for about 6 outlets. now everything is nice and grounded.

Thanks elk, Crossy and Re Thai for taking the time to reply.

Crossy ....yes all the sockets are 3 pin outlets and the microwave had a 3 pin plug.

Re Thai we are going to have an electrician check the whole system out and have the outlets grounded where its not safe.

Hopefully no more shocks will be in store!!