Part-time Teaching Vs Full-time

lovenim

Hello all,

I have recently arrived in BKK and am gradually settling.

Looking to find part-time work teaching English.

With my qualifications (BA & MA Literature, CELTA, PGCE equiv.) and experience (10 years in TEFL and high school) I know that if I worked full-time I could easily get a job generating around 100k if working at an international school and not that much less if working at a university.

I have been told that finding welll-paid part-time work is difficult annd will make only 500-700 THB/hr. Now that seems disproportionately low compared to the hourly rat of a full-time job. When I workd in Japan I went freelance (several part-time jobs) because it generated more money per hour than one full-time position (minus the paid holidays o course).

Can anyone confirm that working part-time isn't really lucrative'

Or, if it is, where would I be looking for a part-time position with decent pay?

Thanks

"not that much less if working at a university."

Don't kid yourself about Thai universities - even a private one offering international programmes wouldn't pay a full-time foreign lecturer anything like 100k baht a month. You'd also need a PhD to get 60k.

There are some good part-time posts and outside work opportunities about but it takes patience, contacts and an ounce of luck to get them. Government universities (basic pay a very low 29K for English instructors) have some very good outside work at 1,000 baht an hour and above but this is only accessed through being employed as a low hour full-time instructor. Universities with international programmes (teaching subjects other than English but in English) offer 1,100-1,500 per hour for modules taught over 2-4 weeks (48 teaching hours) for someone like you with a Masters' but you'll need contacts (or a strong dose of luck) to land this work.

As Peaceblondie says, there are then work permit issues to contend with for those not employed on a full-time contract. One way round it is to take a low-hour full-time job at a government uni - which gives you your work permit - and then supplement the pay by outside work as best you can.

Your best bet may be to get some part-time or temporary international school work, if you can get your foot in the door somehow, and then build up your own supply of lucrative private work teaching on the side through decent contacts that you'll make. But, this isn't an easy or straightforward option.

Edited by paully

Part-time or supply teaching is better paid than full-time, there is no need to lesson plans for your classes as you are covering for an absentee teacher who should have lesson plans already.

Find a good agency and you will be guaranteed work in Bangkok most days. Also, language schools pay well in the evenings and weekends.

I don't know the details of the PGCA, but do you have actual teacher certification? Most of the international schools around here that will be paying 100k/month or more require a certified teacher. Their ESL teachers have a teaching degree and teaching license/certificate. Individuals with TEFL/CELTA certificates, no matter how much experience, often cannot be hired by well-paying international schools. You might want to look into that - maybe check with some international schools here - just to make sure that could still be a backup plan for you.

Also, keep in mind that this isn't the best time of year for an international school teaching job, because it's the middle of the school year. For the schools on a Thai school schedule, the semester just started. But, international schools typically hire from December-February for the following school year, so if you are qualified, you may be in a good position to start searching for next year.

I have been told that finding welll-paid part-time work is difficult annd will make only 500-700 THB/hr. Now that seems disproportionately low compared to the hourly rat of a full-time job. When I workd in Japan I went freelance (several part-time jobs) because it generated more money per hour than one full-time position (minus the paid holidays o course).

Can anyone confirm that working part-time isn't really lucrative'

Or, if it is, where would I be looking for a part-time position with decent pay?

I don't really understand the OP's position. If he/she is happy to accept a 100,000baht per-month full-time position in Thailand then tax shouldn't be overlooked; 100k would be the gross income.

A 700baht/hour p/t rate is reasonable as no tax is paid and, if the work gives paid break-times then the true rate could be over 800baht/hour pro rata.

There are a couple of different scenarios:

1. You work for an agency of some sort and they find work for you. May pay well/may not.

2. You go out and work independently. This is the most lucrative, but that requires good connections and a newcomer is unlikely to do well unless they have very extraordinary entrepreneurial skills and are willing to be a real go-getter.

In either case, you will likely be working a lot on weekends, evenings and your income may vary a lot. During holidays, there will be lots of cancellations. Adults have a fairly high rate of quitting and dropping out of classes. Then there is the issue of legality. A lot places will know your not legal and will use it as a bargaining tool to get you cheaper.

I don't know the details of the PGCA, but do you have actual teacher certification? Most of the international schools around here that will be paying 100k/month or more require a certified teacher. Their ESL teachers have a teaching degree and teaching license/certificate. Individuals with TEFL/CELTA certificates, no matter how much experience, often cannot be hired by well-paying international schools. You might want to look into that - maybe check with some international schools here - just to make sure that could still be a backup plan for you.

Also, keep in mind that this isn't the best time of year for an international school teaching job, because it's the middle of the school year. For the schools on a Thai school schedule, the semester just started. But, international schools typically hire from December-February for the following school year, so if you are qualified, you may be in a good position to start searching for next year.

Yes, you would need at least 24 educational credit points to get a teacher's license or be employed by an Intern. school irregardless of TEFL/CELTA certs. or experience.

And if you are coming here to make money, don't. You can, but better/easier elsewhere.

I don't know the details of the PGCA, but do you have actual teacher certification?

Yes, you would need at least 24 educational credit points to get a teacher's license or be employed by an Intern. school irregardless of TEFL/CELTA certs. or experience.

And if you are coming here to make money, don't. You can, but better/easier elsewhere.

Thank you all for your kinds replies. Some are quite eye-opening. I did not come to Thailand to make money, so no worries there. If I had, I would be applying to Intrnational Schools to be working full-time.

Yes, I do have an actual teacher certification, it's a diploma that took blood, sweat and tears and lots of time to actually get. I worked at Continentql European high schools for 8 years until this summer as a "proper" teacher with teacher status, incl. setting, grading and invigilating exams etc, not mere TEFL or anything.

What are these "educational credit points" ? You lost me there.

I am not looking to work full-time as I am also doing some studyiing right now. I do not really need a full-time income as I have some savings but basically having been used to a generous European salary I just feel like I wouldn't even lift a finger for the typical rate of 30-40k per month full-time.

Basically I would like to be making 40k+/month on max. 3 workdays a week, not totalling more than 4 classroom hours per day.

Btw, i did meet someone wo makes well over 60k at a reputable university, full-time, and she does not even have an MA... luck, I guess.

And no, I do not have a work-permit. Thing is, a school that would be paying me less because they would use that against me is school I would tell tht they should be paying me more because thy do not have that expense to make... or would they like to sort me out with a work permit?

On that note, another question: what happens when you work for a school full-time in order to get sorted with a work permit and then quit after receiving the permit so part-time work is easier to find and truly legal? Will they just grin and bear it or will they contact immigration and give you hel_l? I did that in Japan initially, and it was teh done thing there, commonplace and no hassle. Any advice on that?

1. Basically I would like to be making 40k+/month on max. 3 workdays a week, not totalling more than 4 classroom hours per day.

2. On that note, another question: what happens when you work for a school full-time in order to get sorted with a work permit and then quit after receiving the permit so part-time work is easier to find and truly legal? Will they just grin and bear it or will they contact immigration and give you hel_l? I did that in Japan initially, and it was teh done thing there, commonplace and no hassle. Any advice on that?

1. Good luck with that, I do know of a government uni lecturer who was making that sort of money for only 3 light days work a week - but, unfortunately she's Thai and has big hair. Luck, perhaps :)

2. More hassle in Thailand than Japan by the sound of it - In Thailand, the employer (if the employee does not do it directly) is under a duty to cancel a work permit and normally would if the employee left early, which would affect his leave to remain. If you were to leave employment under a cloud, as it were, it could also be tricky for you to get a new work permit and leave to remain extension, meaning you could end up with an overstay fine.

Edited by paully