Motorcycles Are About 16 Times As Dangerous Per Passenger Mile.

BigBikeBKK

According the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration motorcycles are about 16 times as dangerous per passenger mile than passenger cars. (NHSTA)

That sounds terrible but in fact it's a little misleading, because your chances of dying while riding a motorcycle are still very very low.

To put it into perspective, the probability of dying while on a bike is 0.000000334 per passenger mile, while for cars it's 0.000000013. The point being is that 16 times a really small number is still a really small number. :)

Keep her shiny side up and remember- ATGATT!

Happy Trails,

Tony

ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time. Ah. Never heard that before. For Thailand I think that means you should wear your Alpine Star Flip Flops ATT. :D

Alpinestar Flip Flops! :)

Anyway, probably pretty safe to say that NHSTA statistics probably don't apply to Thailand... :D

Ride On!

lets have fun with the numbers.

The probability to die (D) driving 1 mile = 0.000000334 -> the probability NOT to die (ND) when driving 1 mile = 0.999999666

The probability to die (D) when driving X miles: D = 1 - (ND)^X

D(1000 miles) = 0.03%

D(10,000 miles) = 0.3%

D(100,000 miles) = 3.3%

D(1,000,000 miles) = 28.4%

Edited by sorensen

Funny this is mentioned today. Just saw an accident this morning in front of the bank. Moto was at fault (in a hurry to make a u-turn and somehow missed an oncoming white SUV). Rider got up but bike looked in bad shape.

Talking of ATGATT.....was driving home from work last week almost home in fact. Left hand corner driving slow 5kph as much traffic and very potholed. Half way round .....bang.....I was laying on the road with bike on top. So fast.

I was carrying something on top of the tank, it slipped under the bars locking them while cornering and down I went

Because I was wearing my gear, not even a scratch on me...or the bike cuz it was on top of me.

Lucky nobody drove over me or the bike!

Week before I saw two 100% mangled bikes, I dont know what happened but looked like obviously been under a car or truck....problem was.....the drivers were mangled up with them too. Sobers u up real fast for sure!!

The problem with the Accident stats.....your accident can be after many many kilometers or the first day on your bike....u never know. Averages are one thing.....how that applies to you, can only be influenced by your own actions while driving.

The probability to die (D) driving 1 mile = 0.000000334 -> the probability NOT to die (ND) when driving 1 mile = 0.999999666

D(1000 miles) = 0.03%

D(10,000 miles) = 0.3%

D(100,000 miles) = 3.3%

I doubt whether this is a linear statistic, and I expect that the vast majority accidents involve low mileage/beginner/young loony riders. Experience counts for a lot when riding bikes, control, anticipation, riding skills and road awareness.

Anybody who has put 100,000 miles under the wheels is quite likely to put another 100,000 behind them. And I can't think of a single rider who didn't drop a bike in the first two years, me included.

Talking of ATGATT.....was driving home from work last week almost home in fact. Left hand corner driving slow 5kph as much traffic and very potholed. Half way round .....bang.....I was laying on the road with bike on top. So fast.

I was carrying something on top of the tank, it slipped under the bars locking them while cornering and down I went

Because I was wearing my gear, not even a scratch on me...or the bike cuz it was on top of me.

Lucky nobody drove over me or the bike!

Week before I saw two 100% mangled bikes, I dont know what happened but looked like obviously been under a car or truck....problem was.....the drivers were mangled up with them too. Sobers u up real fast for sure!!

The problem with the Accident stats.....your accident can be after many many kilometers or the first day on your bike....u never know. Averages are one thing.....how that applies to you, can only be influenced by your own actions while driving.

With all respect, may I quote, "how that applies to you, can only be influenced by your own actions while driving" and "I was carrying something on top of the tank, it slipped under the bars locking them while cornering and down I went"

'nuff said.

(Oh, and actually I am in favour of a six inch spike fixed in the middle of the steering wheel of all vehicles, replacing the airbag, and forbidding the use of a seat belt. Now wouldn't that make drivers a little more careful?)

Edited by 12DrinkMore

I doubt whether this is a linear statistic, and I expect that the vast majority accidents involve low mileage/beginner/young loony riders. Experience counts for a lot when riding bikes, control, anticipation, riding skills and road awareness.

Anybody who has put 100,000 miles under the wheels is quite likely to put another 100,000 behind them. And I can't think of a single rider who didn't drop a bike in the first two years, me included.

That's good point. I crashed more times than I can remember in the teen years. Cars, bikes, quads, snowmobiles, tractors, boats- you name it I crashed it! :) A few more bad wrecks in my 20's, and seems the older I get the less I crash. Or maybe I'm just overdue! :D

Trying to keep her shiny side up!

Happy Trails,

Tony

With all respect, may I quote, "how that applies to you, can only be influenced by your own actions while driving" and "I was carrying something on top of the tank, it slipped under the bars locking them while cornering and down I went"

'nuff said.

Yes...my point entirely. Stupid of me sure, and embarrasingly I suffered the consequences.

But how many times u see shopping bags hung off bars. Impossible on a fully faired bike but common on all others.

Sure it wont happen again for me!

I'd say that figure of motorcyclists being 18 times more likely of dying than in a car is on the low side. I saw a statistic a few months ago that had motorcylists incurring 33 times more fatalities per mile driven. Here's a statistic that states the probability is 21 times greater. U.S. statisitc on motoribke fatalities vs. automobile And here's another one, a stat for the U.K. that has 51 times more deaths on a motorbike than in a car per mile driven. In the U.K. 51 times more motorcylists get killed than automobiles And as for Thailand I'd say the real figures are off the charts. I don't think there is a day when I take my motorbike out here that somebody doesn't do something so stupid, and so dangerous near my bike that I'm simply jolted into complete incredulity that the powers that be don't do something about these morons. Yes, I would agree that being a careful driver and being an experienced driver helps with the odds but there is still a huge percentage of chance that no matter how well a person drives, the utter stupidity of those around him is likely to get him if he drives enough miles. That being said, I still love driving my Nouvo, but it's always in my head that it's the other driver that makes driving motorbikes here so dangerous.

Hmm......I wonder how reliable the statistics are that I've just given because if they are accurate this means English motorcyclists have more than double the chance of dying than their American counterparts.

Edited by jackcorbett

But how many times u see shopping bags hung off bars. Impossible on a fully faired bike but common on all others.

Actually not that much. In fact quite rarely, mostly they have baskets in front, or a couple of passengers who carry the bags....

And it works on a fully faired bike as well. I know, because I have done it. The contents rest nicely against the fairings rather than swinging to and fro. Not that I recommend it. :):D

I'd say that figure of motorcyclists being 18 times more likely of dying than in a car is on the low side. I saw a statistic a few months ago that had motorcylists incurring 33 times more fatalities per mile driven. Here's a statistic that states the probability is 21 times greater. U.S. statisitc on motoribke fatalities vs. automobile And here's another one, a stat for the U.K. that has 51 times more deaths on a motorbike than in a car per mile driven. In the U.K. 51 times more motorcylists get killed than automobiles And as for Thailand I'd say the real figures are off the charts.

Hmm......I wonder how reliable the statistics are that I've just given because if they are accurate this means English motorcyclists have more than double the chance of dying than their American counterparts.

Your figures do not seem quite right. For the US I think I'd believe the NHTSA figures over those you've referenced which were submitted by a personal injury firm. The UK figures are from "yesinsurance.co.uk". I think I'd trust government figures over that of an insurance company...

I'd say that figure of motorcyclists being 18 times more likely of dying than in a car is on the low side. I saw a statistic a few months ago that had motorcylists incurring 33 times more fatalities per mile driven. Here's a statistic that states the probability is 21 times greater. U.S. statisitc on motoribke fatalities vs. automobile And here's another one, a stat for the U.K. that has 51 times more deaths on a motorbike than in a car per mile driven. In the U.K. 51 times more motorcylists get killed than automobiles And as for Thailand I'd say the real figures are off the charts. I don't think there is a day when I take my motorbike out here that somebody doesn't do something so stupid, and so dangerous near my bike that I'm simply jolted into complete incredulity that the powers that be don't do something about these morons. Yes, I would agree that being a careful driver and being an experienced driver helps with the odds but there is still a huge percentage of chance that no matter how well a person drives, the utter stupidity of those around him is likely to get him if he drives enough miles. That being said, I still love driving my Nouvo, but it's always in my head that it's the other driver that makes driving motorbikes here so dangerous.

I bet it has more to do with experience than anything else. I.E., in the States I'd think the numbers were skewed to fewer deaths per mile traveled by those southern States where you have more time to practice. The supposition being that if you considered only those States that have the same climate as England you'd likely see a simliar trend. Throw in the age of most riders in those two countries (testosterone running wild), along with the season that bike riding is available (summer time when you're shaking off the 'cabin blues') and you have a recipe for disaster.

Of course I could be ALL WRONG (again!).

I bet it has more to do with experience than anything else. I.E., in the States I'd think the numbers were skewed to fewer deaths per mile traveled by those southern States where you have more time to practice. The supposition being that if you considered only those States that have the same climate as England you'd likely see a simliar trend. Throw in the age of most riders in those two countries (testosterone running wild), along with the season that bike riding is available (summer time when you're shaking off the 'cabin blues') and you have a recipe for disaster.

Of course I could be ALL WRONG (again!).

LOL, so people who live in warmer climates are better riders? Well, dam_n, living in Thailand we must all be pros! :)

Also, doesn't the UK require bikers to first obtain a "learners" license that restricts them to smaller bikes before they can eventually work their way up to a full license?

Ah yes, just found this on a UK site:

Full motorcycle licence

There are two types of full motorcycle licence:

• a light motorcycle licence (A1), which restricts riders to any bike up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75 cc and 125 cc
  • a standard motorcycle licence (A), is obtained if the practical test is taken on a bike of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h per hour. After passing the standard motorcycle practical test, you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25 kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike

I would have thought a system like this would help reduce fatalities. If implemented in the US I think it would definitely have a positive impact on "squid" deaths. What do you think Dave?

That's good point. I crashed more times than I can remember in the teen years. Cars, bikes, quads, snowmobiles, tractors, boats- you name it I crashed it! :) A few more bad wrecks in my 20's, and seems the older I get the less I crash. Or maybe I'm just overdue! :D

Happy Trails,

Tony

You better knock on wood after that one Tony!!

i am not a biker, but i understand the allure, freedom, etc. ..its dangerous enough that my thai wife has almost lost count of how many friends and relatives have died as a result of motorcycle accidents...FYI..the last one was caused by a CAR..but does that change the stats???? signed: under seige in Phuket ( watching for motorcycles, spinning my head in 360 's constantly )

i am not a biker, but i understand the allure, freedom, etc. ..its dangerous enough that my thai wife has almost lost count of how many friends and relatives have died as a result of motorcycle accidents...FYI..the last one was caused by a CAR..but does that change the stats? ??? signed: under seige in Phuket ( watching for motorcycles, spinning my head in 360 's constantly )

I have enjoyed reading most of this thread, and agree that riding experience, defensive riding behaviours, ju-jitsu (muay thai Bangkok), decent lights, and rearview mirrors that get looked in every 10 seconds between scanning the width of the road situation ahead, and preferably cargo strapped to something that doesn't mess with the handlebars can do a lot to change our luck in the big city.

At the same time there are two classically probable causes for why motorcycles are dangerous: Error by a motorcyclist, or error by a car or truck driver, or occasionally both. Due to Newtonian physics F=MA, the outcome is usually a damaged motorcyclist whichever the cause.

One thing it has taken me a few years and two trips to emergency to learn, is the difference between daytime riding and nightime riding in Thailand. It doesn't seem such a change in Australia because IMHO the traffic is somewhat more predictable. In Thailand at night, it seems that switching on headlights and stopping at redlights are optional extras, and it's important to recognise the very significant difference between the situational awareness we might get used to riding a motosai during the day, and the whole new set of skills to stay alive on two wheels at night.

It seems safer to get somewhere local at sunset on a bike, and only ride the few hundred metres to the minimart if you need to, but if going out somewhere at night, make it very local or catch a taxi. If F=MA then Taxi=M.

D(1000 miles) = 0.03%

D(10,000 miles) = 0.3%

D(100,000 miles) = 3.3%

That includes drunks, and non-drunks. It also includes people going too fast, and people not going too fast.

I think you can dramatically lower these odds just by (1) being not drunk and (2) not driving too fast for the given situation.

It's all about you really. There is not a great God looking down upon us, taking you out x% of the time. Pay attention - it's much more important than gear. And don't trust any statistics you didn't forge yourself.

Happy Trails,

Tony

You better knock on wood after that one Tony!!

Cheers for that ScubaNinja- Believe me, I knock on wood every time I head out on two wheels! :D

i am not a biker, but i understand the allure, freedom, etc. ..its dangerous enough that my thai wife has almost lost count of how many friends and relatives have died as a result of motorcycle accidents...FYI..the last one was caused by a CAR..but does that change the stats? ??? signed: under seige in Phuket ( watching for motorcycles, spinning my head in 360 's constantly )

I have enjoyed reading most of this thread, and agree that riding experience, defensive riding behaviours, ju-jitsu (muay thai Bangkok), decent lights, and rearview mirrors that get looked in every 10 seconds between scanning the width of the road situation ahead, and preferably cargo strapped to something that doesn't mess with the handlebars can do a lot to change our luck in the big city.

At the same time there are two classically probable causes for why motorcycles are dangerous: Error by a motorcyclist, or error by a car or truck driver, or occasionally both. Due to Newtonian physics F=MA, the outcome is usually a damaged motorcyclist whichever the cause.

One thing it has taken me a few years and two trips to emergency to learn, is the difference between daytime riding and nightime riding in Thailand. It doesn't seem such a change in Australia because IMHO the traffic is somewhat more predictable. In Thailand at night, it seems that switching on headlights and stopping at redlights are optional extras, and it's important to recognise the very significant difference between the situational awareness we might get used to riding a motosai during the day, and the whole new set of skills to stay alive on two wheels at night.

It seems safer to get somewhere local at sunset on a bike, and only ride the few hundred metres to the minimart if you need to, but if going out somewhere at night, make it very local or catch a taxi. If F=MA then Taxi=M.

I agree with you. Usually if I want to go anywhere here in Pattaya other than restaurants, etc. within a mile or two of the condo on the much less trafficked back streets, I'll drive my motorbike up the backstreets to a bar or restaurant on Naklua Road and park my bike there. I will then take the ten baht taxi to where I'm going from that point. However, Once in awhile I'll deviate from this procedure knowing it's at great peril. Although a lot of Thais here in Pattaya are decent drivers who take the rules of the road seriously a huge percentage of them as you say view motorbike lights as optional, run red lights whenever they feel like it, view one way lanes and streets as normal traffic lanes. I'm sorry if I referred to such people as morons in a previous post. I meant sub-morons.

The problem with having a car here is cars are cumbersome lumbering goliaths on Pattaya's busy streets. Parking is difficult. I can outrun them in most situations on my bicycle. They are expensive. Also...the unwritten rule here is "Falang always wrong". So I reasoned that because cars have a much wider frontal area than a bike and are simply much larger, the chances of being hit or hitting something are vastly greater than on a bike. So I'd be at huge risk at paying off some Thai who was at fault in the first place. Motorbikes are much more practical (unless one is always taking his golf clubs to the golf course). However the danger level to one's own life and limb is through the stratosphere. When I constantly bring up the virtues of the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance and other automatic scooters, I'm thinking first of the danger level here and that an automatic allows the driver to focus 100 percent on his own driving plus the next idiotic move that will imperil him from another driver near him without having to diminish this focus one iota because of the need to shift, worrying about what gear he should be in, missed shifts, etc. Survival here requires not 99 % of one's complete concentration but 100 percent and even then getting by without getting killed or suffering major injuries is a matter of luck.

LOL, so people who live in warmer climates are better riders? Well, dam_n, living in Thailand we must all be pros! :)

Also, doesn't the UK require bikers to first obtain a "learners" license that restricts them to smaller bikes before they can eventually work their way up to a full license?

I would have thought a system like this would help reduce fatalities. If implemented in the US I think it would definitely have a positive impact on "squid" deaths. What do you think Dave?

It would be a plus. That's exactly why I think that the accidents have more to do with seat time more than anything else....plus everyone knows that Americans are safer than Brits :D

I agree with you. Usually if I want to go anywhere here in Pattaya other than restaurants, etc. within a mile or two of the condo on the much less trafficked back streets, I'll drive my motorbike up the backstreets to a bar or restaurant on Naklua Road and park my bike there. I will then take the ten baht taxi to where I'm going from that point. However, Once in awhile I'll deviate from this procedure knowing it's at great peril. Although a lot of Thais here in Pattaya are decent drivers who take the rules of the road seriously a huge percentage of them as you say view motorbike lights as optional, run red lights whenever they feel like it, view one way lanes and streets as normal traffic lanes. I'm sorry if I referred to such people as morons in a previous post. I meant sub-morons.

The problem with having a car here is cars are cumbersome lumbering goliaths on Pattaya's busy streets. Parking is difficult. I can outrun them in most situations on my bicycle. They are expensive. Also...the unwritten rule here is "Falang always wrong". So I reasoned that because cars have a much wider frontal area than a bike and are simply much larger, the chances of being hit or hitting something are vastly greater than on a bike. So I'd be at huge risk at paying off some Thai who was at fault in the first place. Motorbikes are much more practical (unless one is always taking his golf clubs to the golf course). However the danger level to one's own life and limb is through the stratosphere. When I constantly bring up the virtues of the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance and other automatic scooters, I'm thinking first of the danger level here and that an automatic allows the driver to focus 100 percent on his own driving plus the next idiotic move that will imperil him from another driver near him without having to diminish this focus one iota because of the need to shift, worrying about what gear he should be in, missed shifts, etc. Survival here requires not 99 % of one's complete concentration but 100 percent and even then getting by without getting killed or suffering major injuries is a matter of luck.

Oh boy, if shifting gears is distracting to any biker, they definitely should stick to scooters! Practice practice practice! Wear full gear, and stay away from obstacles.

I saw a BMW 1200 go down infront of me on a sandy turn and they just got up back on the bike and kept driving. Full gear, noone hurt, about 40km/h speed. There is skill, preparation, attention, and foresight (as well as rearview mirror hindsight). Being seen is important (i wear a safety vest which makes me look like a geek, but <deleted>... nobody comes near me).

Granted, in Thailand nobody takes scooters too seriously, and scooters are perennial road-rule breakers. So a seriously "big bike" is a good compromise here by making sure it's being taken seriously as a legitimate road vehicle by other drivers, and can get out of situations with ease.

Motorbike lanes would be a great improvement, though, avoiding weaving through traffic everywhere.

m

D(1000 miles) = 0.03%

D(10,000 miles) = 0.3%

D(100,000 miles) = 3.3%

I'm no expert on probability but I'm pretty sure it's not cumulative.

If you toss a coin, the probability of getting "heads" is 1 in 2 or 50%. If you toss a coin 1000 times the probability remains at 1 in 2 for each toss.

The quoted probability of dying on a motorcycle has been calculated on the basis of the total miles ridden so the cumulative distance has already been taken into account.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that statistics are highly counter-intuitive and often bear little relationship to the actual likelihood of a single event happening for an individual. According to UK statistics motorcycling is fifteen times less dangerous than horse-riding and thirty times less dangerous than being a pedestrian, but few people would use these relative probabilities to decide how to travel.

Incidentally; although total motorcycle accident statistics are proportionally similar between The UK and The US, the underlying causes are different. The majority of bike accidents in the UK the involve another vehicle (blame is typically not included in the statistics) whereas in The US more than half involve no other vehicle.