Can I Speed Up My Torrent Download?

motoyen

I'm using Mac 10.6.2 with a torrent app called Transmission. I'm trying to download a torrent file that has over 3000+ seeders right now and I'm getting speeds of barely above 10k/sec. I got an error message from the app saying it can't connect to my incoming data port which will result in a slower download.

So my question is how do I open my port? I logged into my G-Mesh modem and saw this but I can't figure out what to enter here.

Hi there

I don't know your torrent program nor your router/modem but usually the help files or preferences/options etc will tell you what ports to open. Often a five digit number. Copy the number and paste it into your "Open Port Start" and "Open Port End" May need putting in the Trigger port start & end boxes as well. Play about with it.

If you're not sure where to find the port number try 9090 as per this link

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...26200501AAxCXtg

Good luck

T tried entering the same numbers but still get the Port Closed message. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Look again at my picture 2. There is TCP,UDP. You have to open both. If it still does not work then switch off your firewall and try again.

I don't have any insight but I wanted to say that Transmission has been problematic for me for a while. I've checked everything I could think of, firewall etc, and it still wouldn't "reach out and grab". I've given up on it and uTorrent works 100% fine on the same Mac (running windows). I've seen others mention this elsewhere a few months ago, but don't know if they've found a fix.

Edited by mezzoninny

I have an iMax running Mac OSX 10.6.2 and use Transmission and have never had any problem. Its always fast and faultless. The problems that I did have in the earlier days was that the router that True supplied is simply not compatible with Mac (not some things worked sometimes but it was erratic). After several visits from True a smart technician who was familiar with Macs identified that the True supplied router was not Mac compatible. I bought a new one that was officially Mac compatible add I have had a perfect run ever since.

After several visits from True a smart technician who was familiar with Macs identified that the True supplied router was not Mac compatible. I bought a new one that was officially Mac compatible add I have had a perfect run ever since.

What he was saying was your True supplied modem/router did not do uPnP which Transmission uses for its automatic port forwarding (mac or otherwise). If uPnP does not work simply do a manual port forward of the tcp/udp ports from the mac to the modem/router.