Ride To Malaysia For F1 Motogp Last Month

Changian

A few pics of a friend of mine and his mates on their ride down to KL for the MotoGP and onto Singapore last month. They will be putting a website together soon with details of this ride and others that they plan in the future.

post-56770-1258423489_thumb.jpg

post-56770-1258423166_thumb.jpg

post-56770-1258423390_thumb.jpg

post-56770-1258422732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Changian

Nice. I did the same trip from Phuket. Good fun. Just wish all my buddies hadn't flaked on me. :D

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0805-1.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

One hour wait for tickets in the blistering sun was a bit much. They ran out of tickets on which to print.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0520-1.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Stayed at Racha (King) Hotel in Hat Yai on the way there and on the way back. Cheap, clean, but no hot water.

IMG_0786-1.jpg

No rain on the way down, lotsa rain on the way back.

IMG_0788.jpg

To answer your question Keeniau, border crossing Sadeo was pretty easy. Before entering Malaysia, there is a customs house of some kind that you must detour off the main road a few hundred meters before the border. Just ride through that. On the Thai side of the border I was not challenged at all and could have probably drove right through if I wanted. Organized chaos. Bike lane is on the left. I handed in my "simplified customs declaration form" to a confused looking customs agent at the customs kiosk. It was clear to me I didn't actually need this, but it's the rules. I know of others that didn't bother with this step. Then over to immigration kiosk, making sure they understand I have a Non-B 1 year and had paid for a re-entry permit so as not to screw up my visa and work permit, which can happen if they aren't paying attention. Stamps look correct so I ride 200m or so to the Malaysia side. Big beautiful facility. They have a motorbike lane on the left as well. Had to stop to fill out arrival card as a steady flow of Thai's or Malays stream past undocumented. :) About 50-100m past the Malay Immigration on the left is the tourist center. Opposite that in the right hand side is a row of shops. Some of them sell the mandatory 30 day insurance. It's about 700 baht. They will also put the translated sticker on the front of the bike for you for 20 baht. I used the last shop with white and blue sign. Right next door to the insurance shop is the transport department where you need show your bikes greenbook along with the translation paper which you will need to have previously gotten at the Thai Land Transport Department prior to your trip. (It takes 2 days to get the translation document at the Thai land transport department so don't wait to the last minute to do this.) Park in front of the building so they can see your bike. 5 minutes and they give you another document making your bike legal to drive on Malaysian roads. Sort of a large circular certificate printed on a square paper. Keep that with the bike. I was amazed at the prompt service I got from the helpful young English speaking staff in this government office. Never seen anything like it in Thailand or America. Again, I know people that didn't do any of this, get English translation/bring book, buy insurance, get circular certificate from LTD...and they didn't have any problem. However, I believe if caught by the BIW, it would mean big troubles.

Malaysian roads are world class. Like a dream really. Better overall than America's roads even. And the traffic was extremely well behaved. Nice wide motorbike lane actually used by motorbikes, not for taxi's and Fortuners to undertake, and not used for parking. I decided that Malaysia must be the best country in the world for a motorcyclist. It has as good or better road and highway system than America, but without it's inattentive, distracted motorists that never look for bikes around them. And as far as I know no roads are off limits to bikes. And there is no tolls for bikes either. You ride this narrow winding path around the toll collection offices. Something America should learn.

Anyone have any questions pleas feel free to ask. I am interested to hear others experience at the border.

SB

post-70760-1258433714_thumb.jpg

Nice. I did the same trip from Phuket. Good fun. Just wish all my buddies hadn't flaked on me. :)

Yeah, that's me- Guilty as charged... :D (You KNOW I wanted to go but it all sort of fell apart there right at the end- Apologies again!)

Right next door to the insurance shop is the transport department where you need show your bikes greenbook along with the translation paper which you will need to have previously gotten at the Thai Land Transport Department prior to your trip. (It takes 2 days to get the translation document at the Thai land transport department so don't wait to the last minute to do this.)

Good info! FYI, at the Bangkok Morchit Transportation Office they issue the Green Book translation same day in about 30-40 minutes. I think it cost 50 or 70 Baht! :D

I'd like to ride down to Singapore one of these days. There are a few guys on the GT Rider board who do it regularly and it sounds like a pleasant trip. Only question I have is what is required to ride a Thai registered bike into Singapore? Anyone know? Thanks and Happy Trails!

Tony