Windows Xp Profesional-service Pack 2 Or 3

john b good

If you still have the original Microsoft book with your licence number, you can download it from the web. Conversely you can write to Micosoft, and they should have details of your original registration as it was a genuine product, then download it, and insert the details when installing.

- Any version of XP can be updated to SP 3.

- What makes the software genuine is if you have the license key or not; the particular CD or other media that you install it from doesn't matter much.

So if you have a license key but no install media then you can use any Windows XP CD; (from a friend will do, if you have those. (Friends) :) )

Saswasdee Khrup, Khun John,

There are some issues in "downshifting" from Vista to XP (assuming your laptop came with some OEM version Vista pre-installed) that we believe you will want to research carefully.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...ista+back+to+xp

Some laptops have specially installed partitions on the hard drive which are used in various ways by the manfacturer. For example, my Acer laptop has a "hidden partition" which enables it to play DVD's without booting into Windows XP.

If you send me (here or by PM) the make and model of your laptop, I'll see if I can find some links to a forum where someone using the same model might have posted some useful tips for you.

If you can be a bit more specific about the flavour of "bonkers" you are experiencing with Vista, we and others here may be able to offer some tips. We recently "tamed" Vista Ultimate on a friend of ours computer : it took about eight hours of uploading the most recent service packs, turning off UAC, teaching him how to de-fragment his drive, disabling Aero, disabling various seldom-used Windows Services, etc. : he now experiences it as much faster and more responsive. On my own Vista machine I have moved the Page File to a non-boot hard drive and set it to a fixed size which has helped also (if all of this sounds like nonsense to you, don't worry).

best, ~o:37;

They have some genuine Microsoft Windows programs for sale at IT, the shop inside Kad Suan Kaew up on the 4th?? floor. I don't know which versions. The price is quite high, however.

Newer computers will not run XP. The only reason the MS has not killed XP is it is needed for the mini computers.

You can buy Xp Pro for bt 3500 at many shops. They may not have Pro in stock but can order it.

I put a 100bt version on my computer and MS invited me to buy online with disk sent as well for 3500bt. You can also break the law and download by torrent a copy which MS does not now is a fake and will keep it updated.

Newer computers will not run XP. The only reason the MS has not killed XP is it is needed for the mini computers.

Sorry, this is utter nonsense. Windows XP will install and run fine on almost any new computer, and continues, and will continue to be, in widespread use. It will remain in use for certain mission-critical line-of-business custom applications for many years, long after most general users have gone on to Windows X.xx.

You need to distinguish between Microsoft's not officially supporting, or selling XP at this time, and the capabilities of hardware.

What is correct is that there are many good reasons, for most people, to migrate to Windows 7 when they can get a legit copy at a good price, and skip Vista.

If you already have Vista Business, or Ultimate, legitimate on your computer you have "downgrade" to XP rights built into the licensing agreement from MS (EULA) :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/8...sion-020707.pdf

But downgrading "over Vista" still requires you to have a legitimate XP, and may require a call to a service center (see the above document for details) for activation.

I put a 100bt version on my computer and MS invited me to buy online with disk sent as well for 3500bt.

Our cat is in two places at once.

Edited by orang37

Sorry, this is utter nonsense. Windows XP will install and run fine on almost any new computer, and continues, and will continue to be, in widespread use. It will remain in use for certain mission-critical line-of-business custom applications for many years, long after most general users have gone on to Windows X.xx.

You need to distinguish between Microsoft's not officially supporting, or selling XP at this time, and the capabilities of hardware.

What is correct is that there are many good reasons, for most people, to migrate to Windows 7 when they can get a legit copy at a good price, and skip Vista.

If you already have Vista Business, or Ultimate, legitimate on your computer you have "downgrade" to XP rights built into the licensing agreement from MS (EULA) :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/8...sion-020707.pdf

But downgrading "over Vista" still requires you to have a legitimate XP, and may require a call to a service center (see the above document for details) for activation.

I put a 100bt version on my computer and MS invited me to buy online with disk sent as well for 3500bt.

Our cat is in two places at once.

LOL

There are a lot of XP professional being sold on Ebay (UK) for about 1300. These are new with licences. I am going to order about 10 copies in the next week or so myself. The dealer is in Germany and seems to have a good reputation. It is an English language version

Two people PM'd me with advice and offers of assistance and I thank you both.

I have to leave the realm at short notice and will not have time to do / try anything immediately so it will have to wait I'm afraid.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Edited by john b good

They have some genuine Microsoft Windows programs for sale at IT, the shop inside Kad Suan Kaew up on the 4th?? floor. I don't know which versions. The price is quite high, however.

Yes, I`ll second that.

I saw bonafide versions of Microsoft Windows being sold at the IT City, third floor in the Airport Plaza.

They were expensive, between 4000 to 5000 baht.

My friend and I guessed that these Microsoft Windows probably are part of the package that come with all new computers from the manufactories when delivered to the store. Than the store installs it`s own copy versions and sells the genuine products seperately.

Worth a look anyway.