Thai Wedding

flemmie

One of my staff members has invited me to a wedding and I am to be a guest of honor and say something to all the guests.

What should I avoid talking about? What is safe? How much money am I expected to pitch in the envelope (I am her bosses boss)? Anything else I am to keep in mind?

It seems to be the luncheon only, which makes it easier I guess.

Thanks for your advice.

:):D:D

Just a few kind words about the couple will do. Don't worry as the token farang on display, it won't really matter what you say anyways, they will just giggle and laugh at you quietly before clapping when you are done.

As for the envelope, a card with cash will do. As for how much, the million baht question... How much do you pay her per month? that amount x 20 and you will become part of the family in an instant.

Failing that, just give 5000 - 10000k but ask for a receipt. :)

something to the effect of how long you have known X

(if its not been too long then no need to mention how many months, just something like in the time you have known X, he/she has always been ---all the nice adjectives here) make sure to mention the good work she does in the office, how she is liked and trusted by all colleagues. if you have met the groom, say so, and say how he is always polite, respectful and comes across as being intelligent and sensible.... etc etc

(I will be happy to write you a speech for a fee :) Im good at these things :D )

envelope - certainly should be more than 4,000 baht at the very least (are you going alone? if your partner is with you then its expected to be more) but no need to go overboard and give more than 10K

but then again, it also depends on where wedding is being held, who the other guest of honour from the other side is? plus the standing of the couple's parents in society (the last may be hard for you to gather...but other factors like venue of hotel would give some indication)

something to the effect of how long you have known X

(if its not been too long then no need to mention how many months, just something like in the time you have known X, he/she has always been ---all the nice adjectives here) make sure to mention the good work she does in the office, how she is liked and trusted by all colleagues. if you have met the groom, say so, and say how he is always polite, respectful and comes across as being intelligent and sensible.... etc etc

(I will be happy to write you a speech for a fee :D Im good at these things :D )

envelope - certainly should be more than 4,000 baht at the very least (are you going alone? if your partner is with you then its expected to be more) but no need to go overboard and give more than 10K

but then again, it also depends on where wedding is being held, who the other guest of honour from the other side is? plus the standing of the couple's parents in society (the last may be hard for you to gather...but other factors like venue of hotel would give some indication)

Thanks for the advice. It is held in the Narai Hotel, and is a lunch of 2 hours or so. I as told (by my Assistant) I should be OK with 5K in the envelope. Not much to say as I have only been here 5 months, so quite short. I am practicing with my Thai teacher some nice Thai words, keeping them on the safe side so I do not make any faux pas. :)

Standing of the family is quite normal as far as I can tell.

One more experience, have been to so many in the last 30 years I am oversees...

well looks like its all under control then :)

if this were 20 years ago, having a wedding at Narai would constitute a big deal. but these days with all the other 5, and now 6 star hotels popping up, Narai has faded into the background