Good Old Cast Iron Skillet Pan Where To Find

Maccheroncini

Sorry I can't help you in finding one here, but just want to say they are great. I had my sister bring some on a visit, and we use them every day. Even heat, easy to clean, and last forever unless you drop it on something really hard. One of the best things is that you don't have to use special rubber or plastic spatulas, etc. when using cast iron.

I've never been to this place but it might be worth a shot, Chiang Mai Bakermart Ltd.

They advertise in City Life [ latest edition page 27]

'your reliable supplier of bakery ingredients, packaging, equipments, gadgets and machines'

Two branches

Chiang Mai Gate Branch 053 282 979

Near Nong Hoi Intersection Branch 053 334 111

Might be worth a look out of interest anyway

I've never been to this place but it might be worth a shot, Chiang Mai Bakermart Ltd.

'your reliable supplier of bakery ingredients, packaging, equipments, gadgets and machines'

Two branches

Here's their website: http://www.cmbakermart.com/index.htm

/ Priceless

Two branches

/ Priceless

Careful. Firefox gives me this when I try to visit their site.

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.cmbakermart.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Two branches

/ Priceless

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.cmbakermart.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Thanks for the warning :) Kaspersky Internet Security doesn't have anything to say about the site, though :D

/ Priceless

While not exactly what you are looking for, I've bought a number of cast iron pans over the years here, the one's you'll see people using to make pad thai, often. These pans come in several sizes (I have a few 14 inch pans) and they have a lip at the edge that is about 2 cms in height. The weight and heft would be equivalent to a cast iron pan - probably heavier.

Crank up your gas and get one of these babies blazing hot before pan searing a steak - can't be beat!

I have found them in warrorot market. I don't know the name of the store, but if you were heading down chiang moi road towards the market, you'd keep going basically to the river. As you get close to the river road (where you'd have to turn right) walk 20 meters to your left and you'll see a store selling pots, pans, glassware, etc. That's where i've found them. Surely they are sold in other stores as well, of course. I haven't bought one for years (these last a lifetime) but I remember them being a couple-few hundred baht a piece.

Two branches

/ Priceless

Reported Attack Site!

Thanks for the warning :) Kaspersky Internet Security doesn't have anything to say about the site, though :D

/ Priceless

Got the same warning with my Avast anti-virus system, wouldn't let me connect! (Great system, by the way, and entirely free for personal users)

Very strange that a legit business should have this horror on itss website, I wonder if they know? Or has some hacker-type twit b*ggered it up without their knowledge?

I'd love to find one myself and have checked all the major retailers (Makro, Tesco, Carrefour) and many smaller ones without success. Please let us know if you come across one.

Pretty sure you will find at INDEX LIVING MALL on the Super Highway and ROBINSONS at Airport Plaza

I agree with cmsoulbrother. I bought one at local shop here in Lampang and I use it for cooking tortillas. It works great! Just be sure not to let it get wet or it will rust very easily, and oil it after every use. I bought mine for about 350 baht. These are not skillets per se, but they are most definitely cast iron. It's the best substitute I have found. You will not find them at any shop that caters to farang. They will be at shops that supply restaurants and stock food processing machines.

Thank you for the recommendation, sometimes we need to improvise :)

While not exactly what you are looking for, I've bought a number of cast iron pans over the years here, the one's you'll see people using to make pad thai, often. These pans come in several sizes (I have a few 14 inch pans) and they have a lip at the edge that is about 2 cms in height. The weight and heft would be equivalent to a cast iron pan - probably heavier.

Crank up your gas and get one of these babies blazing hot before pan searing a steak - can't be beat!

I have found them in warrorot market. I don't know the name of the store, but if you were heading down chiang moi road towards the market, you'd keep going basically to the river. As you get close to the river road (where you'd have to turn right) walk 20 meters to your left and you'll see a store selling pots, pans, glassware, etc. That's where i've found them. Surely they are sold in other stores as well, of course. I haven't bought one for years (these last a lifetime) but I remember them being a couple-few hundred baht a piece.

I had looked all over CM with no luck, the ones at Wararot only have about 2cm sides, don't think that is what u want...good for what the other posts said though. Robinsons and the others have nice, expensive pans but won't take the abuse a cast iron one does.....

I brought 3 back with me in my check in baggage, using a smaller suitcase with a rubbermaid type plastic box inside, all wrapped in bubble wrap . 10" chicken fryer- 3"sides with lid; 8" and a 6". .use them everyday....

Fun part was when US customs picked that bag to check out..i had about a half roll of duct tape holding it together....good for a laugh...

Chorizo

Thanks for the confirmation.  At least it is easier for me to add yet another reason to visit Bangkok as I've seen quite a few at Virasu and Siam Paragon or Emporium.  

I had looked all over CM with no luck, the ones at Wararot only have about 2cm sides, don't think that is what u want...good for what the other posts said though. Robinsons and the others have nice, expensive pans but won't take the abuse a cast iron one does.....

I brought 3 back with me in my check in baggage, using a smaller suitcase with a rubbermaid type plastic box inside, all wrapped in bubble wrap . 10" chicken fryer- 3"sides with lid; 8" and a 6". .use them everyday....

Fun part was when US customs picked that bag to check out..i had about a half roll of duct tape holding it together....good for a laugh...

Chorizo

I have a couple of those pans. I believe the Thais call them roti pans... And that is a pretty cool shop you mention - that is where I got mine.

They are useful. but the pan is indeed very shallow - lots of splatter, and not able to shallow-fry.

I just brought a full size cast-iron pan from Canada this past summer.

I order some hard anodised sauce pans and deep fried pans from some grocery store in bangkok. its from India and manufactured by Hawkins India. A well known company who has been manufacturing pressure cookers for decades.

Here is a link to their catalog. HAWKINS FUTURA.

PM me if you want the number in Bangkok (where I order from).

TB..

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a cast iron pan at a local store. The sides and bottom are 1cm thick and the inside dimensions are 30cm diameter by 4cm high. Is that the sort of thing you are looking for? It cost 920 baht and is so heavy I had to get a girl to carry it out to the car for me.