Consumer Protection Board

kurnell

Today we booked a 2 night holiday at a Thai resort for the xmas break via a supposedly reputable Thai agency. They sent us a quote with bank account details so that I could make a bank transfer. I paid them, the bank sent an sms confirming payment and I confirmed my payment and acceptance of their quote by email as requested by the agency.

They immediately came back to us confirming receipt of payment and also to advise that we had to give them more money as the period that we booked was peak holiday season. Dissatisfied, with this piss-poor attempt at service, I found the Thai Consumer Protection board online with an address and contact details. Before contacting them I went back to the agency and told them that I had contacted the Thai Consumer Protection board and they had asked for a copy of their email requesting additional payment as well as the original quote and proof of payment by me. They said they would call us back. Ten minutes later they called to say that they would honour their original quote.

If they had not honoured their original quote I would have gone through the TCP board anyway, but it is nice to know that just the threat of involving this agency did the trick.

Got a story:

The MIL purchased a water filter system, and the sellers offered a raffle drawing witht he purchase of the water filter. She got her ticket, opened it and discovered she had won a dish washer machine. When she tried to claim her prize, they stated that she won a set of dishes. She argued with them, and said she wanted to talk to the boss. The staff then claimed the boss only speaks English.

The MIL said, "Great, my daughter will speak with them." (Daughter, my wife has an MS out of the US) My wife called the boss, and spoke with her. She also tried to "wiggle" out of the free dish washer. Then the MIL started to dial the police....

That finished the issue right then and there. They loaded up the dishwasher and all was said and done.

Now let me tell you about the "dishwasher" it is the size of a microwave and is big enough to wash some chop sticks. Sticker price was 33K baht!

I told my wife that she would have been scammed twice if she would not have gotten the washer machine.

First time, paying 30K baht for a filter system you could buy for 3K and install in the shell/housing of a PC (seen it done many times)

and the second scam was regarding the dish washer....

Amazing Thailand.

(The MIL is a major impulse buyer, and sadly has a bit of money and little time or interest to research before she buys anything)

Good thread do you have the

contact details?

Tel/fax email and address would be very handy for a friend who is a long and bitter dispute hes had a court judgement but still grinding on.

Thanks in anticpation as O sur many of us would appreciate his

If they had not honoured their original quote I would have gone through the TCP board anyway, but it is nice to know that just the threat of involving this agency did the trick.

Thank you for posting this heads up for everyone.

Thank you for posting this heads up for everyone.

Yep. I'd love to know how people get on with the Consumer Protection Board with disputes over service, sales etc. Could be a real winner and will encourage business owners to provide a quality service.

• 4 weeks later...

My company has started the procedure with the OCPB after purchasing 150+ polo shirts with embroidered logos only to discover that on 90% of them, the logos are so crooked they are unusable. We supplied docs/logos to the OCPB together with a sample of the shirt. Next step is that we and the supplier meet at the OCPB to try to discuss an amicable solution. For us, the only solution is for them to do the entire job again, as it is the most shoddy job I have ever seen. The meeting is in 2 weeks.

My company has started the procedure with the OCPB after purchasing 150+ polo shirts with embroidered logos only to discover that on 90% of them, the logos are so crooked they are unusable. We supplied docs/logos to the OCPB together with a sample of the shirt. Next step is that we and the supplier meet at the OCPB to try to discuss an amicable solution. For us, the only solution is for them to do the entire job again, as it is the most shoddy job I have ever seen. The meeting is in 2 weeks.

Consumer protection boards and laws apply to consumers. Your company is not a consumer.

Consumer protection boards and laws apply to consumers. Your company is not a consumer.

Interesting that they have accepted our application then isn't it?

• 1 month later...

Well, we won our case against the vendors that sold us polo shirts with crooked logos. It took approx 6 weeks from application to final decision, so pretty quick for Thailand. They couldn't decie who was at fault, the shirt company or those that attached the logo so they ordered the shirt company to cover the dodgy logo with a pocket and the embroiderer to stick another logo on the pcoket.

So, in fact you can argue and win when you have a complaint against a company that does a shoddy job in Thailand.